My three favorite breakers

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite Breaker

Back in the mid 70s I had a guy who thought was much better than me and he asked me to play for 5 bucks a game. After I won 13 game in a row he took his loaded up Palmer and slammed the forearm on the end rail and shattered his cue. It was over a year and a half before he played again. Even though I only won 65.00 is was the best beating I have ever done to a player.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was ringside for the Sigel vs Schmidt match played at the Roseland in New York City in what I believe to have been 2000. If memory serves, the match took place on John's birthday.

Sigel snapping his stick was, of course, intentional, but wow, how brutal to scratch on such a great shot!

John won the match.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I think it's been said before, but that Archer snap was (to me and others) clearly unintentional. He was stressing the cue in frustration, and the look and jump of surprise after the break is noticeable.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think it's been said before, but that Archer snap was (to me and others) clearly unintentional. He was stressing the cue in frustration, and the look and jump of surprise after the break is noticeable.

Agreed, not intentional. Tony Robles, two time winner of the PBT Sportsmanship Award, took it all in stride.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Blue Ash Ohio....Geri’s Palace...late 70s

There was a guy called the Roach...could’ve doubled for Joe Pesci...hot tempered.
...a B player but lots of gamble.
...made a bad game...not for the first time,,:rolleyes:...
..failed to get out...broke his cue...not the first time for that either...:rolleyes:
...few games later...failed to get out again...broke his spare cue.

Went up to a guy who had a Joss that he just loved...wanted to borrow his cue....
...guy said “No, you’ll just break it.”...Roach says he’ll treat the Joss like his child...
...got the cue.
A few games later, fails to get out....
CRACK!!!!!!!!!
...Guy says “Roach, you promised you wouldn’t break the cue!”....:crying:
Roach says “That cue had a better chance on I-75 in rush hour.”

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When Predator shafts first came to my home room, probably around 95 or so, the owner of the pool hall wouldn't stop talking about them. More spin, lower deflection, and on and on about how stiff they were. He got the first predator in my town and was always bragging about the design.

I was playing better than him at this point but one day he got a bar table in the room and thought he could beat me on a small track playing 8 ball. Up until then I played only big table 9 ball, but I was a minor and couldn't go into the bars so he thought he was going to out-move me. Well, we played $10 a game and I went up $90 really quick.
Finally he had a chance to run out. He ran down to the 8 ball and missed it.

Now's a good time to explain that this pool room had those 'artificial ceilings' laying onto a criss-crossed grid of metal dividers.

OK, so he misses the 8 and swings his cue stick straight over his head. The tip of the cue stick catches the artificial ceiling, lifts it up, and the cue continues to swing until the shaft hits the metal. CRACK! I heard something break, but in astonishment the entire cue fell to the floor and the shaft was unharmed! I looked and the owner had just part of the butt in his hand. Apparently the butt broke right at the top of the wrap. But the 314 shaft lived on! I couldn't help it, I looked at him and said "Man, you're right, those shafts are SOLID!"

Of course he didn't mean to hurt his cue, accidents happen. They just happen more when you swing them in anger...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Agreed, not intentional. Tony Robles, two time winner of the PBT Sportsmanship Award, took it all in stride.

I don’t disagree with this assessment....
...I think it says more about the cue than it does about Johnny Archer.

In the 90s he was player of the decade...using a Schon