need help please

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cats

We have a pair of Savannah cats,both have all their claws.We got them a scratching post as soon as we brought them home . I have never had a problem with them wanting to scratch things up. They do go into the rec room but do not mess with my table. They seem to like the high ground and like to jump to the top of the cabinets or the pinball machine.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I saw this on TV once, put little erasers on each of your cat's claws. It worked for Tweetie but pissed Sylvester right off.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bengals are beautiful hybrid cats. Contrary to what a previous poster wrote, declawing cats can be a very painful procedure.

Check out the following web site, which has information on dealing with destructive behaviors in cats:
http://www.ddfl.org/education/cat-behavior-tips/destruction

Often it is the only alternative if the living situation becomes unbearable. There are cats dropped off to shelters all the time and put down because the owners don't want to live with them anymore; that is just a reality. Is declawing the right thing for everybody, of course not, but in many cases it is the only way the cat keeps it's home.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Time to train the cat.

We had a cat that would NOT stay off the kitchen countertops, but we cured him of that in a very humane manner...

Local gun shows typically have a blow gun vendor. Besides the normal 'darts' they sell with them, they also sell a Nerf-like projectile called a 'thumper'. It is foam, and will not harm the cat, or anything else for that matter. Everytime the cat gets near or up on the table, shoot a thumper at it. It will startle it, and pretty soon the cat will get the message.

The pet stores used to sell a spray that I used many years ago to keep the cats out of the nursery. You simply sprayed it across the threshold of the room, and it worked...cats never crossed that invisible line. I guess it smells bad to the kitties. Something like that sprayed around the perimeter of the table would do the trick.

Go to your local Petco or Petsmart and talk to the 'experts' and see what they suggest.

Lisa

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Couple of ideas- a cover is always a good idea just to keep the cat hair off. When I first got my pixie-bob he liked jumping on the counters at night, I couldn't catch him so I put a line of beer cans, with penny's in them, around the counter. When he jumped up he would knock over the can and the noise startled him enough he has never jumped up again. Get a few scratching post and put them wherever you see him scratch, use catnip, plenty of info on the web about training them to use a scratching post.
Thank you for not declawing him.
Hope this helps.

Stan

rich337

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a pair of Savannah cats,both have all their claws.We got them a scratching post as soon as we brought them home . I have never had a problem with them wanting to scratch things up. They do go into the rec room but do not mess with my table. They seem to like the high ground and like to jump to the top of the cabinets or the pinball machine.

we have a scratching post but he is still scratching other things like door frames and and carpet . from what i read online they do this to mark there space which is alot better then spraying lol . he likes the high ground as well