What is the best low deflection shaft on the market...

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
All of this is good information but what I really need to know is...

Which is the best LD shaft for when playing in November with high humidity a measles ball, slow cloth and inconsistent pocket sizes?

(sorry this post just reminded me of some of the posts I used to read about ball bats.) :D

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best LD? Whatever you are most comfortable with is the only true answer. Everyone will have their own opinion for a number of different reasons, only you can decide what's best for you.

For me it's a good old Maple shaft I see absolutley no need for an LD, they produce no recognisable advantage in 'my' game.

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with Predator and OB shafts(314,314/2,z shaft,OB-1,and OB classic)......in my mind the OB classic is a good long step up from the others.The OB classic has a stiffer hit,better feel,and even a better sound when hittin balls.I truely believe the OB classic has improved my confidence in my equipment as well.

In the end you should try out a few types to see what "feels" the best to you,and by try out I dont think you can evaluate equipment in 15 min. either.Borrow a buddy's shaft or cue and see what you think.

Good luck
Rob

I'd be interested in a comparison between the OB Classic and the new Tiger X Ultra LD if anyone has tried both.

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
I tried both predator, OB, and the Jacoby Hybrid. The Predator has the LD by 1% over OB from testing by the powers to be. However the OB classic has better feel imo. After putting the Kamui tip on the OB classic there is no comparison. It has changed my game. I highly recommend the OB classic.

side note: In my area the players here have been using Predator religiously for a cpl years now. Alot of them have tried my OB classic and now are ordering it for themselves. Just saying.

PoolFool

Judge me by my size do u?
Silver Member
Cte

It stands for Center To Edge and is really an aiming system and not a shaft.

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wd700 and HP2 for me.

Anyone here played with above and OB shafts? Would love to know their pick.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i play with traditional shafts and i guess i am more comfortable playing with deflection.
i tried a friend's Mezz Hybrid Pro II, and it has lower deflection compared to 314-2 or Z.

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
I'd be interested in a comparison between the OB Classic and the new Tiger X Ultra LD if anyone has tried both.

I have tried both. I liked them both, but sold the OB. I play with the Tiger Ultra X LD shaft.

I also like the SS360 shaft. Sold it too though. I was looking for a LD shaft that felt good. I'm sure there are lower deflection shafts out there, but I was looking for feel and consistent, predictable lower deflection.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You just need a regular shaft and CTE.:thumbup:

CTE is an aiming technique that has nothing to do with deflection, per se. I think maybe you mean BHE?

Anyway, what is the "best" ld shaft can never actually be determined, so long as the critera for judging it are not known.

Predator Z2 has the lowest deflection of the common production shafts, with OB2 pretty much the same.

When it comes to the "feel" of the shaft that will always be a subjective matter.

Personally I prefer the Mezz Wd700. The feel is firm and the deflection is fairly low, although not as low as a 314 (for instance).

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Ask 30 different pool players and you're likely to get 30 different answers.
Each shaft mentioned has different characteristics, but for most they're
so subtle you'd never notice and because each player is different each
shaft will fit each player a little different. However, after you've played
with a certain model of Predator for a year or two, you'll feel the difference
if you try to switch to an OB.
Best bet is try out a few, one will feel better or play better it will just fit better,
that's your shaft

Much like the Diamond, Gold Crown debates....

tables are always compared to Gold Crown & LD high tech shafts are compared to Predator....

Brunswick & Predator set the standard

Yeah, the original 314 (pre cat) Predator shaft will always be the King, but sadly they have long been unavailable.

Last edited:
If by "best" you mean lowest deflection ... there was a table out there somewhere I saw, I think it put the Z2 on the top for least deflection. I personally can't get used to the size and taper of the Z2.

If you mean best by feel, I really liked the McD I-2, it just felt very natural to use ... but it's not all that high up on the list regarding low deflection.

I use a 314-2 now and would like to eventually get a OB Classic. The OB Classic has a lot of things going for it as far as I'm concerned. I believe it has the diameter and taper similar to the McD I-2 that I liked the feel of but much lower deflection. It also has the shorty ferrule that I got used to with the I-2.

Hehe, sounds like I'm convincing myself to buy an OB Classic. :)

I really want to try out the Mcdermott i-2 shaft someday. Have you tried out the Lucasi Hybrid? I really loved the hit of that one.

Can't agree more :thumbup:.

Best low deflection for me will be wd700 and alpha.

For the stiff LD shaft, it got to be HP2 from Mezz.

An old friend of mine had an HP2, and he told me that it was by far the stiffest hitting shaft he ever used. He said it was like shooting with a steel rod, or something like that. He hated it, and sold it not long after he purchased it (from what I remember).

Rafachauer1990

Registered
For me my favorite shaft is the ExPro Shaft.
Is have almost 0 deflection .It is hard and has a longer pro Taper than the hp2 .I like playing it with a soft or medium tip but defenitely not a hard tip because of the hardness of the shaft itself.
best of luck

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I've tried just about every low deflection shaft out there custom and not the two fav and best imo 1st the predator vantage and 2nd the BD Customs ss360