Predator z3??

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Been thinking about getting new shaft thinking the z3 was just wanting to know what u guys think of it like it better or less then the old model more or less deflection? I play with the 314-2 now and just thinking of going to something new to try anyone who has tried it jw what u think I tried to look for thoughts on other post haven't seen much so like to hear what u guys have to say

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been thinking about getting new shaft thinking the z3 was just wanting to know what u guys think of it like it better or less then the old model more or less deflection? I play with the 314-2 now and just thinking of going to something new to try anyone who has tried it jw what u think I tried to look for thoughts on other post haven't seen much so like to hear what u guys have to say

Don't. There is a big different b/w 314 and Z shaft. Z is so small, you have to be very accurate with the final hit, it will take time to adjust, not a short time though. Get the 314-3 or Vantage.

Z3's are "okay, but not better than Z2"

Z3's have a decent hit, you will definitely feel the difference from your 314-2! However, in my opinion, the Z2 is far better performance shaft.. Also, word to the wise, be careful if you try to change the tip when you get it -- it comes with this gray protective layer between the tip and the ferrule (that you cannot remove because it will void the warrantee) that makes it real hard for replacement tips to stay on...

Good luck'

"Miz"

CUE: Predator Panthera 2-1 (with Z3) and Meucci 97-21 (with Z2)
BREAK CUE: Predator BK2

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I just switched from the 314 to the Z shaft. The Z shaft is definitely less forgiving but I feel like I get a lot more action from certain shots. I definitely get more throw on the ball but use that pretty sparingly right now so I'm not sure how much benefit there is for me yet.

I played with with the Z shaft last night in the weekly local tournament (no handicap) and finished in third place, making four really thin cuts, two for the win so thats my shaft of choice right now.

shhh...don't tell the league director or I'll lose my C status ;)

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other thoughts ?

:scratchhead:

I wound stick with what you got now.

Once you wear out the shaft you have now, just think of what they will

be coming out with in a few more years. Might be bigger and better.

I feel so bad for all the players fifty years ago that missed out on this new technology.

:shocked2:

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

I wound stick with what you got now.

Once you wear out the shaft you have now, just think of what they will

be coming out with in a few more years. Might be bigger and better.

I feel so bad for all the players fifty years ago that missed out on this new technology.

:shocked2:

Listen to this guy ;-)
I know how you feel, and I know you will probably still make the change, no matter what everybody here says...been there done that...
Myself I regret it - I switched from 314-2 to 314-3, and I was very dissapointed. I feel the deflection is a bit higher in 314-3 as compared with my previous 314-2 (the tip is the same, Kamui Black Super Soft), plus there is nothing that 314-3 brings to justify the change...on the contrary...
But that's just my experience...

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Santa left me enough cash to consider one of the new OB Plus shafts. I'm interested in getting a softer hit, and apparently a better grade of maple in the shaft as compared to the earlier offerings. https://www.obcues.com/categories/OB-Plus-Shafts/

I'll be replacing a 314/2. I like the 13.25 Xl shaft that OB offers.

Z3's have a decent hit, you will definitely feel the difference from your 314-2! However, in my opinion, the Z2 is far better performance shaft.. Also, word to the wise, be careful if you try to change the tip when you get it -- it comes with this gray protective layer between the tip and the ferrule (that you cannot remove because it will void the warrantee) that makes it real hard for replacement tips to stay on...

Good luck'

"Miz"

CUE: Predator Panthera 2-1 (with Z3) and Meucci 97-21 (with Z2)
BREAK CUE: Predator BK2

Apparently OB has a "new" I believe graphite disc somewhere on the ferrule, or maybe between the tip and ferrule. Any experience with OB's setup?

ob-plus-shaft-web-slide-570-wide.jpg

Last edited:

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Santa left me enough cash to consider one of the new OB Plus shafts. I'm interested in getting a softer hit, and apparently a better grade of maple in the shaft as compared to the earlier offerings. https://www.obcues.com/categories/OB-Plus-Shafts/

Apparently OB has a "new" I believe graphite disc somewhere on the ferrule, or maybe between the tip and ferrule. Any experience with OB's setup?

View attachment 406689

I used to shoot exclusively with a z1 and recently (3 months ago) bought an OB+ Pro to try out because I got tired of trying to hunt down z1s. I absolutely love the hit of it and haven't even thought about pulling out a z since the first time I hit with it.

railbird99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I originally shot with a z2 and loved it. Switched to a 314-2 for consistency. I recently bought a z3 and 314-3. The z3 is a little thicker than the z2 and has less deflection. However, the hit is so different from a z2 that I didn't feel like I was getting the same benefits as I was with a z2 (wasn't getting as much action, and the hit felt a little hollow), so the 314-3 was the choice for me, which hits great, and is where my game is the most consistent.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to shoot exclusively with a z1 and recently (3 months ago) bought an OB+ Pro to try out because I got tired of trying to hunt down z1s. I absolutely love the hit of it and haven't even thought about pulling out a z since the first time I hit with it.

Did you stay with the factory Everest tip? Can you characterize the hit with whichever ferrule you have? I like the idea of the laminated maple ferrule. Any suggestions?

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 406689
Huh? OB shafts always had carbon fibre pads on between the tip and ferrule.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Z2 S-Tuned and I love it. I've had 12.75mm LD shafts too and I don't think this one requires any more precision than those. A thinner shafts is not less forgiving in my opinion, not until you reach the miscue limit of the tip at least.

Try one out if you can, it definitely feels different than the thicker shafts so it just depends what feels right to you.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Moving to the Z3 there will definitely be an adjustment period. I haven't quite decided if I like the Z3 or not. One thing I will offer, is that if you haven't been playing with Predator M Tip (comes stock on the Z3) change it out to what you have been using. The Z3 to me feels way stiffer that the Z2 and even more so than an S-Tuned Z2. I'm sure all they all will take a little getting used to

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with a 314-1 for about 3 years, becoming fully in tune with its playing characteristics.

About 4 years ago, I got a Z2 as a birthday present to myself. At home on my practice table, the 314-1 and the Z2 felt nearly identical. However, in league I dropped from a SL7 to an SL6 (and probably should have been rated an SL5). It took me several months of playing with it constantly before muscle memory was tuned correctly. I am now playing better than ever (well except for the later part of my college days 45 years ago.)

Mid summer I got a Z2 S-Tuned and while it plays "the same" at home on my practice table, I have been afraid to take it out during league or tournaments.

The Z2 (and by implication the Z3) takes a significantly more deliberate stroke than the 314 in order to utilize the play characteristics the thinner (whippier) shaft brings to the table. Used carefully, it can advance your game, but it will take some "getting used to".

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I only got short time with the new z3 what I seen from few min I liked so guess we will see

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a 4 hour session with my new Z3 and came away with a huge smile on my face.

The medium victory tip seems a bit softer than the medium everest tips on my 314-2's and Z-2 which is a good thing. The shaft itself attached to a P3 felt very responsive and gave me alot of feedback. Follow through, draw and english shots were straight forward to execute with no issues feeling the shot or controlling the CB. I had read some feedback on other forums/chatgroups claiming the Z3 felt "hollow", "unlively" and even "dead" so I was expecting the worst but fortunately, I took those comments with a pinch of salt and went ahead with the purchase trusting views of some mates who liked their Z3's.

Having played with a 314-2 more recently, switching to the Z3 was smooth. I started the session running a few racks without having to think - just played as I would have with the 314's. I don't think the difference between the 314's, Z2 and Z3 is as great as some people would lead you to believe. There are some very subtle differences but if you have a solid (and simple) game, you should still have a solid (and simple) game. If you use extreme english every other shot to please the audience, then I cannot comment how it will affect you.

Should you buy the Z3 ?. If you plan to play with it and commit to it, then yes. If you are one of those who are afraid the Z3 will be "unforgiving" and you are not prepared to put in time and effort to adjust to it and to address issues in your game (stance/stroke/aim), then stick to what you are comfortable with.

Do you need a Z3 ?. Of course not. A decent house cue with a nice tip will allow you to develop your game if you work hard at it and have the ability. All these new LD shafts are nice to have but will not improve your game unless you learn and understand the dynamics.

Last edited: