John Schmidt's 626

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets hope you never view it.........we'd have to put you on suicide watch. lol.

You've assigned yourself the negative side of this debate and NOTHING will ever change your mind......so it would be pointless.

Jewett's word is good for me.

Goodbye on this one.

I would love to see a good, clean run but if that existed... we'd have all seen it by now.

Lou Figueroa

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets hope you never view it.........we'd have to put you on suicide watch. lol.

You've assigned yourself the negative side of this debate and NOTHING will ever change your mind......so it would be pointless.

Jewett's word is good for me.

Goodbye on this one.

I would agree to that statement. Bob Jewett is a "stand up" guy. I think there are about 50 left in this country, lol. Anyway, presenting the evidence to be scrutinized, apparently, has been satisfied. I find it odd that this number of balls would be ran and everyone just go along with it for the sake of what? What has really been gained from all of this, if it is total BS? Occam's Razor applies here and I do think he did what he says he did.

Now, let's all go back to playing pool and thinking we are better that what we really are and everyone that beats us just gets lucky!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
ok that's it... I'm taking up straight pool and buying a webcam.

My table's rails are dead, the cloth is upside down so it's slow as hell, the balls have 15yrs on them and I don't own a polisher. Good enough to be considered legit...?

Gimmie a year and we can put this 626 thing behind us.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the stuff that has been said about this topic, did anyone see this run live? I know there were a handful of times I watched his attempts live via facebook and there were daily updates on the run count. I am sure this run had to be broadcast live as the other runs were so if that is the case, then in theory there should have been people watching during this.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It took a month of editing time for the edited video to be presented to the two officials of the BCA-pool for certification. This in and of itself is a major no-no.

As an outsider with zero vested interest for either side, this baffles me.

Why would someone who seeks to claim the right to highest recorded run in any game. Subject the "proof" to editing prior to presenting it for recognition.

...and secondly.

Why would whatever sanctioning body be willing to accept an edited "proof" of the new record...?

I mean even Dr. Dave has some minimum guidelines to submitted videos for his contests. I'd hazard to say most of them are in an effort to help ensure the "proof" isn't edited.

FWIW... My high run went from 12 to 21 in just a few hours today. Figure if I keep close to that pace. This discussion will be moot in a couple of weeks ;)

Last edited:

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
who knows...

I've watched these and others threads from afar and its always the same people, saying the same things. Admittedly, I do find it odd that there aren't at least a few "high profile" pool people that have publicly vouched for the run in a way that would put these arguments to rest.

All I can say is that if its ever found out that the run and subsequent claims were bogus, it would be very hard for John Schmidt to show his face. Which actually leads me to believe that the run actually exists. Why would John ever put forth such a claim (when there still hasn't been a financial windfall) if it didn't occur? There are too many sharp eyes to get away with some video trickery (I work in audio/video production and am very familiar with what's possible)

I can't imagine JS going for a bamboozle like that. Not in this day and age. The sad thing is even with "proof" many of the same talking mouthpieces that comment regularly on the subject STILL wouldn't believe it, much less admit they were wrong.

For the record I want to believe its real, and until its proven otherwise Ill go with the idea that John did in fact run 626

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've watched these and others threads from afar and its always the same people, saying the same things. Admittedly, I do find it odd that there aren't at least a few "high profile" pool people that have publicly vouched for the run in a way that would put these arguments to rest.

Personally, I think that Bob Jewett is a fairly "high profile" pool person.... having written for Billiards Digest for a very long time, in addition to likely many other accolades...

But that's just me. He seems to attract negative attention here, which I cannot fathom.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree to that statement. Bob Jewett is a "stand up" guy. I think there are about 50 left in this country, lol. Anyway, presenting the evidence to be scrutinized, apparently, has been satisfied. I find it odd that this number of balls would be ran and everyone just go along with it for the sake of what? What has really been gained from all of this, if it is total BS? Occam's Razor applies here and I do think he did what he says he did.

Now, let's all go back to playing pool and thinking we are better that what we really are and everyone that beats us just gets lucky!

Occam's Razor basically says the simplest of competing theories should be preferred to the more complex.

So let me ask you: what is the simplest explanation for unedited video of the run not having been released by now?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an outsider with zero vested interest for either side, this baffles me.

Why would someone who seeks to claim the right to highest recorded run in any game. Subject the "proof" to editing prior to presenting it for recognition.

...and secondly.

Why would whatever sanctioning body be willing to accept an edited "proof" of the new record...?

I mean even Dr. Dave has some minimum guidelines to submitted videos for his contests. I'd hazard to say most of them are in an effort to help ensure the "proof" isn't edited.

FWIW... My high run went from 12 to 21 in just a few hours today. Figure if I keep close to that pace. This discussion will be moot in a couple of weeks ;)

Why?

Well... you get to run around wearing a polo shirt with "Mr. 600" printed on it.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All I can say is that if its ever found out that the run and subsequent claims were bogus, it would be very hard for John Schmidt to show his face. Which actually leads me to believe that the run actually exists. Why would John ever put forth such a claim (when there still hasn't been a financial windfall) if it didn't occur? There are too many sharp eyes to get away with some video trickery (I work in audio/video production and am very familiar with what's possible)

I can't imagine JS going for a bamboozle like that. Not in this day and age. The sad thing is even with "proof" many of the same talking mouthpieces that comment regularly on the subject STILL wouldn't believe it, much less admit they were wrong.

For the record I want to believe its real, and until its proven otherwise Ill go with the idea that John did in fact run 626

If unedited video (which exists) is never released, anyone can get away with anything.

But to your other point, this "mouthpiece" learned the smell of BS a long time ago. And the lesson from that was that if you have the goods, spelt *unedited video* you put it out there and squash all the critics and rumors.

If, OTOH, you don't have the goods, well then, you end up with the SS currently revolving around this supposed record.

Lou Figueroa

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Occam's Razor basically says the simplest of competing theories should be preferred to the more complex.

So let me ask you: what is the simplest explanation for unedited video of the run not having been released by now?

Lou Figueroa

The simplest explanation is that John has over(under?) engineered the marketing strategy. He thinks there is a lot of money to be made and I believe him when he says he is worried about losing control of the video once it is online. I disagree that it would impact his sales as much as he thinks, but I believe that is his concern. I think he is just trying too hard to maximize the potential sales of the achievement.

The alternative would require a conspiracy that includes the BCA and several others, including Bob Jewett. I do believe 626 balls were pocketed without a miss. I am surprised to learn that there wasn’t an OB foul though.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The simplest explanation is that John has over(under?) engineered the marketing strategy. He thinks there is a lot of money to be made and I believe him when he says he is worried about losing control of the video once it is online. I disagree that it would impact his sales as much as he thinks, but I believe that is his concern. I think he is just trying too hard to maximize the potential sales of the achievement.

The alternative would require a conspiracy that includes the BCA and several others, including Bob Jewett. I do believe 626 balls were pocketed without a miss. I am surprised to learn that there wasn’t an OB foul though.

This is pool, not the MPAA. There are like 5 people who know how to rip it and another 5 who would know how to download and watch it... but technically, that would be half of the 20 people who actually give a shit enough anymore to actually buy it and watch the whole thing.

He missed the boat on it. The world in general didnt care when he did it, and now the pool world is just "meh" over it. At the start of the pandemic, he could have made a nickel, but now with all the good pool content coming out for free on youtube, content that's competition and not repetitive ball making for 4 hours, I think he missed the actual best timeframe on releasing it on any type of media. The hype is gone.

H<---would have bought a copy shortly after it happened...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

lol, marketing strategy, conspiracy theory?!

No, there’s none of that. And so I repeat: Occam's Razor basically says *the simplest* of competing theories should be preferred to the more complex.

Maybe there’s just no legitimate run to show.

Lou Figueroa

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Accepted economic theory dictates that if a market existed, it would have spoken. Has anything at all been offered for the tape? I really hope this run was not for fortune but simply for fame. Let's face it, at least in the U.S., 14:1 appeals to only a very small segment of the pool world. (And, yes, I have played, and even pursued, the game -- for some reason my colleges' AAU tournaments were always 14:1. I also suffered with the game because there was zero interest in straight pool in the local pool halls -- the older players would have nothing to do with it.) I do not know how 14:1 fares worldwide.

The pool world was very different those many years ago when Mosconi made his run -- back before 8 Ball and 9 Ball and quarter tables and jump cues. We won't even begin to discuss "billiards" or three cushion or balk line or carom, whatever you want to play on a table without pockets. (Thankfully, I encountered one of these, at college, and also, thankfully, met a dozen enthusiastic exchange students who struggled, very much amused, to teach me the games with no verbal instruction -- now that would have made a real video. LMAOROF.)

We now live in a "TV" driven pool world that would not even allow us to retain 9 Ball roll out (a truly wonderful and strategic game) because it was too ponderous. What chance did 14:1 have?

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
js626

about me i come from the 1960s
so when i saw in the 1950s
all these witness signatures
for mosconi’s run of 526
i was immediately suspicious

why did he need to prove it

methinks thou doest
protest too much
-to paraphrase shakespeare

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
And, oh, wait a minute. Forget who saw. Let's talk about a matter of importance -- What type of table was Mosconi playing on? 8, 9, 10 ft.? And dare I inquire as to the widths and angles of the pockets? As in all things, size does matter.

And for that matter, what type of table was this new run on?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the stuff that has been said about this topic, did anyone see this run live? I know there were a handful of times I watched his attempts live via facebook and there were daily updates on the run count. I am sure this run had to be broadcast live as the other runs were so if that is the case, then in theory there should have been people watching during this.

The livestream was turned off shortly before this run. I forget now if it was a few days before, or a few weeks before. It was only recorded locally to tape/disk/whatever that camera used. The only people to see it live were those in the room while JS was shooting. I don't recall the reason given for turning it off, or if there was a reason given.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since the first day of the claim for js626, May 27, 2019, There has never been any claim made that the scrutiny was applied to the original unedited video. It took a month of editing time for the edited video to be presented to the two officials of the BCA-pool for certification. This in and of itself is a major no-no. ...

Billiards Digest, August 2019 issue, page 48:

• "In early June, Desmond flew to the BCA office in Colorado with the unedited videotape. BCA officials Rob Johnson and Shane Tyree watched the entire four-hour plus video ..."

[Doug Desmond was the racker for the run.]