people who diss the commentators in free youtube vids

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what the feck is wrong with these people. in the last couple of weeks i've read dozens of disrespectful comments on the uploads of accustats, csi and billiard network. some flat out mean posts about grady, danny d, jj and even nick varner. sure, everyone has their favorite commentators and is entitled to their opinion - BUT YOU ARE GETTING FREE POOL. free high quality productions. just press the effing like button and be grateful

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fcc0d800e5049cdf11e80c0d3f45d733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
My only complaints about CSI's videos are that the commentators volume are too low. I doubt they've ever had anyone test this out beforehand or monitoring it live. That said, I can live with it given it's free.

The other issue is the audio timing - it's sometimes 7-8 seconds off. You can hear the balls get hit while the commentators are saying something then it switches over to the table and then you see the balls get hit (with no sound).

I don't leave remarks in the comments section as they would get lost in the sea of, "experts."

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First day on the interwebs?

i know it's a sewage pipe. but for our niche i don't find the comment section as bad as in other sports, or at least i haven't til now. i usually don't watch after the fact sports, i prefer live, but these channels have been brilliant for us pool junkies during the pandemic

the danny bashing has been ongoing for as long as i've watched recorded pool though, and it still amazes me how people can watch a thriller match with the best players for one hour and then decide to write stupid sh*t about something danny said that they didn't like

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like with all sports viewing- if you don't like the commentary - just go on mute- so simple! If the pool commentators are paid- probably the lowest paid in all of sports, so what would you expect anyhow?

ESPN years ago had a guy that I am sure was paid way more than any U.S billiard commentator and he knew nothing about pool playing - he admitted he was not a pool player at all- Mitch Lawrence , Eva Mataya's husband- but he knew a lot about women!!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Life has always been, yah get what yah pay for. Our sport is Not the NFL or anything close too Pro Snooker. I often turn off the volume to watch tv, and it's not pool. The music often is annoying in the old time TV westerns, but I enjoy the rest of the production.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
My only criticism of pool commentary is when the commentators try and guess what shot (and how to shoot it) the player is going to play next. One commentator will guess one way and the other one will guess another way.

Then....when the player shoots the shot that neither one predicted, they question why he shot it that way (even though usually the player whose shot they are predicting, then criticizing, has done FAR more in his pool career than either commentator ever has). Of course, most of the time the player makes his shot and runs out.

Commentators questioning elite pros shot-making just doesn't sit well with me.

Ken Schuman is the worst at doing this. I just don't like his commentary, whether it's free or not.

Maniac

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have never take it personally. Can't please everyone and some people are just miserable SOBs. I have done thousands of hours of pool matches. I have found less is more when commentating. :smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And then there are those viewers who will give thumbs down to the most amazing match you've ever seen. It seems to be about 1-2% of automatic BOOs.

There is one commentator I hear quite a bit who will say something like, "He's going to come up and play in the side pocket.... well, he rolled too far but he got straight in to the corner." Well, no, he didn't roll too far for the shot he was actually playing. Fortunately, that particular commentator also has good insights.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes!

My only criticism of pool commentary is when the commentators try and guess what shot (and how to shoot it) the player is going to play next. One commentator will guess one way and the other one will guess another way.

Then....when the player shoots the shot that neither one predicted, they question why he shot it that way (even though usually the player whose shot they are predicting, then criticizing, has done FAR more in his pool career than either commentator ever has). Of course, most of the time the player makes his shot and runs out.

Commentators questioning elite pros shot-making just doesn't sit well with me.

Ken Schuman is the worst at doing this. I just don't like his commentary, whether it's free or not.

Maniac

I very much dislike second guessing the player myself. Especially if the player misses, "The six rail kick/bank was obvious, why would he play that straight in?" Only the person over the stick knows the best shot at the moment. I often play the lower percentage shot in theory. The cross side bank is still quite easy and I don't have to do nearly as much with the cue ball to get on my next shot sometimes.

Lenny is absolutely correct also, commentators shouldn't feel they need to fill every minute of air time with noise. When I watch matches on youtube I tend to watch snooker. As a general rule great video quality and commentary is a bit less instead of more.

Not that I think commentating is an easy job anyone can do. I was offered the chair a few times in the early days of streaming. "Naah, I don't think so!"

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to know when to talk and when to be quiet. Part of commentating is shot analysis, what are the possible options a player has. Most of the time it's pretty straight forward but the beauty of pool is all the other times when a player may get creative.

For me personally I do not enjoy listening to a commentator who wants to give lessons during the match, as if to impress his/her audience with their knowledge. The coms who can make brief and concise insights into what is taking place are the best in my book. And that goes for all sports. Long, drawn out explanations are BORING!

And one very big thing for all commentators to remember is this - The match is not about you! It is all about the players! Coms who continually talk about themselves and their own skills are the worst in my book. Who cares how I play? I'm not the player who is out there battling right now. :nono:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
commentary

steve davis the snooker player
does stellar commentary

he knows what to do
and what not to do

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely read comments. If I have something to ***** about, I'll voice it directly at the video. vented done move on...

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And another thing. Those dumb astroticks. Can't tell if what I said was relevant or perverted or wutt...

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does stellar commentary

he knows what to do
and what not to do

Agree with comment on Steve Davis.

One of the advantages of Snooker is that it is a professional sport and presented as such. There is a director, good cameras, soundman etc. The commentator can concentrate on the actual game without other duties or distractions.

Another advantage is ‘geography’. UK is the size of a postage stamp and there are a half dozen respected retired top pros within couple hours drive of most pro Snooker events. It’s a tight community working together to promote the sport.

American Pool? I admire most of the guys who pick up the mike. Often a labor of love for the game. As long as it doesn’t dominate the commentary, they deserve a bit of self promotion. However, like Jay Heldert wisely states above, make it foremost about the players.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what the feck is wrong with these people. in the last couple of weeks i've read dozens of disrespectful comments on the uploads of accustats, csi and billiard network. some flat out mean posts about grady, danny d, jj and even nick varner. sure, everyone has their favorite commentators and is entitled to their opinion - BUT YOU ARE GETTING FREE POOL. free high quality productions. just press the effing like button and be grateful

If the person commentating has never been better than a c player, they should just keep quiet.
I watched one with an announcer who may have been an ok 8or 9 ball player but knew nothing about 1 pocket. Had to turn the sound off , the other one wasn't much better.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does stellar commentary

he knows what to do
and what not to do

The difference is he is a pro who is paid handsomely for his service . Like everything in snooker is always top notch.

You tube commentators are dudes with some cameras trying to stream pool. A lot of time for little to no money. People complain about everything . They can’t just be happy it’s available.