people who diss the commentators in free youtube vids

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh.....people like to b*tch in general and throw in the anonymity of the internet Katy bar the door.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like when Earl Strickland commentates. He descirbes the english used on the shot, which is almost every shot. I am not counting low, middle, high. I am referring to offset english. That is how I have played from the rip. I love listening to him throw out the comments. Most of the time, he is right.

He will also, at times, explain the shot and multiple ways to approach it - and the dangers. Personally, I think it is great.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I like when Earl Strickland commentates. He descirbes the english used on the shot, which is almost every shot. I am not counting low, middle, high. I am referring to offset english. That is how I have played from the rip. I love listening to him throw out the comments. Most of the time, he is right.

He will also, at times, explain the shot and multiple ways to approach it - and the dangers. Personally, I think it is great.

Yeah, Earl has some great commentary. Lots of humor too, even the self depreciating kind.:)

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what the feck is wrong with these people. in the last couple of weeks i've read dozens of disrespectful comments on the uploads of accustats, csi and billiard network. some flat out mean posts about grady, danny d, jj and even nick varner. sure, everyone has their favorite commentators and is entitled to their opinion - BUT YOU ARE GETTING FREE POOL. free high quality productions. just press the effing like button and be grateful

Bad doesn't get better if you ignore it.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW I turn the volume all the way down when watching matches (I have a computer connected to the TV w/wireless mouse & keyboard next to my recliner). The reasons are threefold: 1) if I use mute the TV puts an icon over the Skip Ads button (@%#!!!), 2) I don't care for most of the commentary from most of the commentators, for reasons already mentioned (there are a couple that I like) and 3) I would rather stare at the table and solve the rack along with the player.

The second reason is of course the most important. The closer I get to being in agreement with a world class pro player about which suite to go with after the break and the pattern/CB positioning for the next shot sequence, the better I feel about the world and the better I play next time I am at the table.

As for the commentary, I have read it a couple times and it was a waste of time.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what the feck is wrong with these people. in the last couple of weeks i've read dozens of disrespectful comments on the uploads of accustats, csi and billiard network. some flat out mean posts about grady, danny d, jj and even nick varner. sure, everyone has their favorite commentators and is entitled to their opinion - BUT YOU ARE GETTING FREE POOL. free high quality productions. just press the effing like button and be grateful

I’m right...JJ doesn’t know when to STFU...I can see it...he doesn’t have to describe it to me...

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I'd put Jeremy Jones as #1

The real problem with commentating is there's not enough Jeremy Jones to go around.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m right...JJ doesn’t know when to STFU...I can see it...he doesn’t have to describe it to me...

and many people thinks he's spot on. but that's not the point. don't look a gifted horse in the mouth. press like and subscribe, and support the outlets that keep gifting horses to you.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never take it personally. Can't please everyone and some people are just miserable SOBs. I have done thousands of hours of pool matches. I have found less is more when commentating. :smile:

You are an excellent player Lenny, and a great commentator . I really enjoyed our battles at Kolbys. Yes , I admit I am a miserable old SOB.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the OP, like others have said, a certain percentage of people are going to complain no matter. Also, each commentator has their own style, their own background, and their own idea of what good commentary is all about. They’re all correct.

I always thought every commentator needs haters. You know you’ve hit a good spot when you have haters. But haters are providing feedback, hateful as it might some across.

Personally, my commentating isn’t meant for the fans that already know it all.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW I turn the volume all the way down when watching matches (I have a computer connected to the TV w/wireless mouse & keyboard next to my recliner). The reasons are threefold: 1) if I use mute the TV puts an icon over the Skip Ads button (@%#!!!), 2) I don't care for most of the commentary from most of the commentators, for reasons already mentioned (there are a couple that I like) and 3) I would rather stare at the table and solve the rack along with the player.

The second reason is of course the most important. The closer I get to being in agreement with a world class pro player about which suite to go with after the break and the pattern/CB positioning for the next shot sequence, the better I feel about the world and the better I play next time I am at the table.

As for the commentary, I have read it a couple times and it was a waste of time.

Everything except turning down the sound. Takes some pretty inane commentary before I'll give up the sound of pool.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
You are an excellent player Lenny, and a great commentator . I really enjoyed our battles at Kolbys. Yes , I admit I am a miserable old SOB.

Hi Bill. Thanks for the compliment and I enjoyed playing with you too. Hope you make it out sometime. Would be fun to play again. I rarely play but will dust off my cue and we can hit some. Be well buddy. :wink:

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything except turning down the sound. Takes some pretty inane commentary before I'll give up the sound of pool.

With most of the matches I've watched with commentary the only sound from the table has been the break shot; can't hear players talking to each other or the ref, sometimes hear applause during the game.

With matches that do not have commentary they either have lots of pool background sound or no audio at all.

As an edit to my last post, I meant to say that #3, solving the rack on my own, is the most important reason that I turn the sound off.

I realize I am in the minority when it comes to viewing recorded matches, something I do almost every evening. For folks that are new to the sport or just want to watch a match and relax, listening to the commentary is a natural.

I study strokes, PSRs, break shots and how pros solve the racks, looking for anything that I can use to improve my game.I will re-watch matches that I have previously seen for anything I might have missed.

In that mode, even good commentary is a distraction because I am at the point where I don't need someone to tell me which choices made at the table are good and which are bad. I am using it in the same way that athletes use visualization to improve their performance.

As said by other posters, the commentators often come up with choices other than those that the player went with. Doesn't mean one was right and the other wrong as it just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a rack.

On the other hand I get to see pros making tactical and strategic mistakes similar to mine, so I take some comfort in seeing them having the same issues. :wink: