First Thoughts on Real Life Interaction with Pool People

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Since COVID lockdowns, I've been thinking deeply about my pool biography.

tried it in a bar with my dad, requested to do it more often, years later at home table
years later pool league.

my parents had no idea how to support or monitor my interests growing up.
I spent endless months on my home table on drills. I didnt have ESPN, just Byrnes' trick shots, advanced pool and BCA rulebook. I started making my own drills at one point.

I will share the autobiographical story as my main thread and post for the remainder of the year. I am a pool nobody, but I like writing and writing about pool.

I will post max once a week or once a day to this thread.

Please notify me if I am about to be banned. I need things explained like I am non English speaking. preferably memes in English with max 5 words.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like this...?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-180322.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-180322.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 457

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll tell my story. My dad was a pool player. There were times he’d cash a paycheck on a Friday and have lost it all before coming home that night. But I was ignorant to those things growing up. Mostly I spent my formative years in the cushiness of his later business successes. But it made his game strong. He was a focused player. Made the most out of smart strategy, clever two-way shots, solid patterns, dependable shotmaking, good breakouts, and the ability to maneuver the table with center ball.

It was an era. I grew up going to pool tournaments hosted at Holiday Inns roughly three times a year. These were family gatherings for us and social gatherings with my friends that would be there too with their families or get to tag along. It ranged from playing in the swimming pool all day as a young cub, to bringing a Nintendo to play on the hotel TV, to being a teen chasing girls or partying hard in my own room. I didn’t play pool then. But it was all around me. You’d stop in and watch a match.

And you met characters. George Middleditch would cut up a spontaneous trick shot exhibition on an open table and draw a crowd. Ed Harmon would shoot a jump shot with his full playing cue at hill-hill to sink the 8 and win first place. A motley crew of degenerate gamblers would bark at each other larger than life. And then lock horns playing well above their normal level and occasionally hitting world class shots and safeties.

It was a family affair. My dad played as I described. My eldest brother was an A player until a backhoe smashed his bridge hand on a pipe. My next older brother was a banger like me. We’d lock horns at home and at bars...and play on teams as adults at the same tournaments we grew up at. And my younger brothers would bang balls too for fun.

I’m a bit different in that I’ll study something to death. I’m super analytical. So I’d be happy to play alone for hours on end. I surprise myself how far I’ve taken my game in solitude. Especially now I’m older and am willing to match-up a bit more. I see now how competition has raised my game the most in recent years. But again, I made it further with simple study and pass time activity than I had any right to.

So pool means a lot to me. I love the satisfaction of being able to demonstrate its elegance and beauty to people unaware of how deep that rabbit hole goes. It’s glory. And it’s therapy. And it’s community. And it’s sport. And most of all, it’s for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll tell my story. My dad was a pool player. There were times he’d cash a paycheck on a Friday and have lost it all before coming home that night. But I was ignorant to those things growing up. Mostly I spent my formative years in the cushiness of his later business successes. But it made his game strong. He was a focused player. Made the most out of smart strategy, clever two-way shots, solid patterns, dependable shotmaking, good breakouts, and the ability to maneuver the table with center ball.

It was an era. I grew up going to pool tournaments hosted at Holiday Inns roughly three times a year. These were family gatherings for us and social gatherings with my friends that would be there too with their families or get to tag along. It ranged from playing in the swimming pool all day as a young cub, to bringing a Nintendo to play on the hotel TV, to being a teen chasing girls or partying hard in my own room. I didn’t play pool then. But it was all around me. You’d stop in and watch a match.

And you met characters. George Middleditch would cut up a spontaneous trick shot exhibition on an open table and draw a crowd. Ed Harmon would shoot a jump shot with his full playing cue at hill-hill to sink the 8 and win first place. A motley crew of degenerate gamblers would bark at each other larger than life. And then lock horns playing well above their normal level and occasionally hitting world class shots and safeties.

It was a family affair. My dad played as I described. My eldest brother was an A player until a backhoe smashed his bridge hand on a pipe. My next older brother was a banger like me. We’d lock horns at home and at bars...and play on teams as adults at the same tournaments we grew up at. And my younger brothers would bang balls too for fun.

I’m a bit different in that I’ll study something to death. I’m super analytical. So I’d be happy to play alone for hours on end. I surprise myself how far I’ve taken my game in solitude. Especially now I’m older and am willing to match-up a bit more. I see now how competition has raised my game the most in recent years. But again, I made it further with simple study and pass time activity than I had any right to.

So pool means a lot to me. I love the satisfaction of being able to demonstrate its elegance and beauty to people unaware of how deep that rabbit hole goes. It’s glory. And it’s therapy. And it’s community. And it’s sport. And most of all, it’s for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pretty sweet! Thanks for sharing!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since COVID lockdowns, I've been thinking deeply about my pool biography.

tried it in a bar with my dad, requested to do it more often, years later at home table
years later pool league.

my parents had no idea how to support or monitor my interests growing up.
I spent endless months on my home table on drills. I didnt have ESPN, just Byrnes' trick shots, advanced pool and BCA rulebook. I started making my own drills at one point.

I will share the autobiographical story as my main thread and post for the remainder of the year. I am a pool nobody, but I like writing and writing about pool.

I will post max once a week or once a day to this thread.

Please notify me if I am about to be banned. I need things explained like I am non English speaking. preferably memes in English with max 5 words.

Heres my autobiography... see ball, make ball , repeat.
Shootem pretty good, bet money, see ball , make ball, win money, quit job.
Bet money, see ball ,make ball , get stiffed, beat up, or gun in face, get job back .
Play ok pool for funsies and keep breathing, and buying food. The end
No need to string it out for a year , 95% of us have pretty much the same story.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
My first thoughts before becoming a regular in a pool room matched the same feelings I had when playing sports.

The pool room management decided I should enroll in straight pool. I didn't know what that meant but agreed to it. The first time I (do we drop names, or keep it anonymous) broke it like an 8-ball rack. My opponent gave me a second chance after demonstrating the proper break.

From that moment on I learned a lot more about planning out what I can do on the table. Staying calm, took a lot of time to master. League matches were regular bouts of mediation of me watching someone else pocket what seem like low skill shots. I now know its called position playing.

Most of the opponents I played that first season were from the advanced group. Never once did I research straight pool or watch a straight pool match. I just kept hoping and hitting for a run out.

I don't know if it matters but most of my opponents were three times my age. The only people I ever met that old were either teachers or maintenance workers, or family friends. Imagine being surprised that the game I like so much growing up is mostly played by senior citizens at the local pool room.

Pool league felt like a work retirement party most days. Being comfortable around older people has impacted other areas of my life. some old people are funny and have good taste. Mileage varies a lot though.