Leather Cases

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, so I was looking at getting a leather case. I was wondering if it requires any sort of special work to maintain it? I know you have to be more careful with it than vinyl or like a JB Rugged so it doesn't get scratched but is there any other maintenance for them?

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, so I was looking at getting a leather case. I was wondering if it requires any sort of special work to maintain it? I know you have to be more careful with it than vinyl or like a JB Rugged so it doesn't get scratched but is there any other maintenance for them?

I occasionally use Bick 4 leather conditioner on mine and it keeps it looking great.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I have the same It's George 2x4 as my daily case for over 10 years. I bought it pre-owned, so it could easily be 30 years old. No daily maintenance required. When I remember or notice it to be dusty or dirty, I wipe it down with damp cloth.

If you have leather case that needs tender loving care, you should ask yourself. Do you know the difference between veg tan oak and goatskin Nappa? Neets foot oil versus Lexol? If not, seek good advice, such as from a shoe repair shop. They deal with shoes, handbags and luggage repair. They can identify the leather, give you proper advice and recommend appropriate treatment.

If you have a case from John Barton, Jim Murnak or Jack Justis, send them a picture and they can tell you what to use, and maybe even remember when they made the case.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all honesty I'd say it's the opposite.
Leather can take a beating vs vinyl instantly tearing. Keeping leather scuff free for looks is a whole different issue.
Treat either case well and they'll last years. I have vinyl Porper and Thomas cases from 1999 that are still in great condition.
I had a cheap composite leather case disintegrate in 1 year recently.
Most of my real leather cases I've had for over a decade as well, and kept them in shape with leather conditioner to prevent cracking. Leather is just tougher but make sure you get the real stuff.
Check out "On Q" cases if you'd like a nice and reasonably priced custom build.
Awesome look, great protection, and outstanding craftsmanship!

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all honesty I'd say it's the opposite.
Leather can take a beating vs vinyl instantly tearing. Keeping leather scuff free for looks is a whole different issue.
Treat either case well and they'll last years. I have vinyl Porper and Thomas cases from 1999 that are still in great condition.
I had a cheap composite leather case disintegrate in 1 year recently.
Most of my real leather cases I've had for over a decade as well, and kept them in shape with leather conditioner to prevent cracking. Leather is just tougher but make sure you get the real stuff.
Check out "On Q" cases if you'd like a nice and reasonably priced custom build.
Awesome look, great protection, and outstanding craftsmanship!

Anything that has the word leather in it but is not Top Grain or Full Grain leather is essentially glue. There should be laws preventing anything like bonded leather to use the word leather at all.

In my experience leather actually ages really well with minimal maintenance.