Glasses for pool players

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a ways back someone was making glasses for pool shooting is that still happening any info

Thanks in advance

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use contacts. I tried Curran at one time. he is expensive and he used a "drill through" frame system- as your eyes change most optical places will not touch drill through frames for lens replacement- so you have to go back to him and his prices. Also, if you have any optical insurance, in the past he would not accept any- may have changed. also, No matter what I did in terms of adjustments, I could not get the top part of the lenses off my face and they would pick up the oils from your skin.

there was also a company in the U.S. called Decote- they made shooting eye glasses and at one time ventured into billiard glasses- I had a pair once- about the same story as Curran. Good Luck but i recommend disposable contacts if you can wear them. Accuvue one day- way better optics and comfort than glasses. For $180 dollars a year you get 90 pairs of lenses- Not more expensive than having to buy a new pair of billiard glasses and having to replace the lenses every few years due to prescription changes. Once you have your contact prescription- "Save -on- lenses" on the internet will mail you contacts - and they do renewals unlimited without new prescriptions- so if your lenses are working for you- you can go a few years without having to revisit an eye doctor and still continue to get your contact lenses at $2 pair! I have been doing this for the past 10 years- no problem.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
You might ask your eye doc. I asked mine (OK. the first time I asked, that doc laughed at me. I fired him. My new doc understood completely what I was talking about) and she wrote me a script for my prescription, but moved the bifocal part to a higher point in the lens. That way I could use my existing insurance towards a new pair of glasses, cut for playing pool. They've made a big difference.

Well...I don't know that my game has gotten measurably better. But I can no longer use the excuse about my glasses! :p The balls and the table are much clearer now. If I pick up a cue without changing to my pool glasses, its crazy how much tougher it is to see the table clearly.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might ask your eye doc. I asked mine (OK. the first time I asked, that doc laughed at me. I fired him. My new doc understood completely what I was talking about) and she wrote me a script for my prescription, but moved the bifocal part to a higher point in the lens. That way I could use my existing insurance towards a new pair of glasses, cut for playing pool. They've made a big difference.

Well...I don't know that my game has gotten measurably better. But I can no longer use the excuse about my glasses! :p The balls and the table are much clearer now. If I pick up a cue without changing to my pool glasses, its crazy how much tougher it is to see the table clearly.

Can you share a pic of your pair?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Can you share a pic of your pair?

The direct answer is no, I can't, from this terminal. (At work right now)

However, what I did was go to the glasses store, and picked a pair of frames that I liked that were similar to what I normally wear, but were bigger and would rest higher on my nose (in order to keep the bifocal higher up when bent over in the shooting position). So my pool glasses are just normal frames, if a little bigger than my regular glasses...it worked for me.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I use a single rx lens with an intermediate (3' to 10') rx. I can't read or see far, but the pool table looks great.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used cheap readers upside down and strapped on like goggles. You can cut the ear hooks if they're not straight enough. You can get all the way down like snooker guys and still have unobstructed vision. Prescriptions might not be invertible.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've used cheap readers upside down and strapped on like goggles. You can cut the ear hooks if they're not straight enough. You can get all the way down like snooker guys and still have unobstructed vision. Prescriptions might not be invertible.

Nice work, problem solver. :thumbup2:

Have you tried removing and replacing the temple pieces on opposite sides?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.billiardglasses.com/about-us.html

Hey, that's me in the picture of the story about how Curran started with the billiard glasses. I'm local to him, and had been going to him (and his father) since I got my first pair of glasses in the 4th grade (I'm 41 now). That picture is my second pair from him, probably around 2013 or so. My first pair of billiard glasses from him was about 2006 or so.

What Curran does is use a frame design that screws to the lenses on holes the optician makes on the lenses himself. And he cuts the lenses to any shape he wants. 99% of the places today don't do anything like this. Its old school, "Guild Certified Opticians". Curran's father started the business in the 1950's or 60's. Now they are on their third generation, as the grandson works there as well. In 2005 or so I had bought a normal pair of glasses from him using those frames that screw to the lenses. It was a new frame design at the time. He was doing some interesting things with the shapes of the lenses (since he cuts them himself), and made me a pair with sort of hexagon shaped lenses. A couple year later, I asked him if he could make me a pair of billiard glasses with the same style frame. I went in there with my pool stick, got in my stance, and we marked where my eye was looking through the lens. He then made a custom lens with the "optical center" of the lens at the place where my eye was looking through when in my stance. Because the frame and nose pads can be mounted anywhere on the lens to the holes he drills on the lens, means the lens can be positioned optimally on your face for your pool stance.

Over the years, he's refined his technique, and now can make pool glasses for a player that is not local. I think he has a way to measure the face of the player and the eyes that he discusses with the player.

If you ever go to Philly for the Expo, he is in the Philly burbs, about 30 min from the various locations the Expo has been held at over the years.

His price is higher than other places, but its a case of you get what you pay for. I moved away from Philly, and have tried a couple other lens-crafter type places for my regular glasses. I hated them all, and they never fit my face right. Now, when I go back to Philly to visit my family, I make it a point to stop in his shop whenever I need a new pair of regular glasses.

Both of my pool glasses are still working great. I only got the second one because he changed the frame slightly that I think looked better than the really old one I bought first in 2006 or so. Before Corona, I kept the old pair in my glove box, and my new pair at home for my home table.

Curran is not a pool nut like we are, so he doesn't know all the ins and outs of the pool world. He posts on here sometimes and people think he is spamming. But he's just an old school optician with a product that is really good. He also doesn't realize how cheap pool players are;) I think he has lowered the cost of his glasses a bit over the years to help us cheap pool players:)

IMO, and I have no business affiliation with Curran, and don't receive any discounts from him. I'll keep getting both my regular and pool glasses from him as long as he is still around.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Suspension Eyewear

I used to have these. They were really great glasses because you could adjust the position and angle of the lenses by adjusting mono filament lines (super thin fishing line) that connected to the earpieces.

They just looked strange as hell. But they were popular for a short period of time in the cycling world. They would not slip off and they were super comfortable.

And chicks dug them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEk9n5ti470

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RayBan makes a great model called the Liteforce that I find very comfortable and functional.
Slightly larger lens frame and no pads to dig into the bridge of your nose after long sessions.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RayBan makes a great model called the Liteforce that I find very comfortable and functional.
Slightly larger lens frame and no pads to dig into the bridge of your nose after long sessions.

Can you provide so more details on the actual pair you have? Are they a specific shade of sunglasses? I did not see any Liteforce style of regular glasses on their webpage.

Thanks in advance.