Lathe Bed

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After doing a little bit of time killing reading on Taigs' website, does anyone fill their bed with concrete as Taig suggest to do? Would there be any real benefit. I have a couple that are not just hadn't really thought about it.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
After doing a little bit of time killing reading on Taigs' website, does anyone fill their bed with concrete as Taig suggest to do? Would there be any real benefit. I have a couple that are not just hadn't really thought about it.

I have never heard that Taig suggests filling the lathe bed with concrete.............

Kim

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard that Taig suggests filling the lathe bed with concrete.............

Kim

They do fill them with concrete. IMO with these small lathes any weight you can add is a good thing. It's the U channel that has concrete in it not the dove tail. I think deadbeat misunderstood.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They also recommend lapping the bed with the carraige.

But.... Their bed is steel, not anodized aluminum like Hightower's is. Hightower had stated before not to lap his bed.

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I knew in my own mind it was u-channel, just didn't communicate it. I do know not to lap the cue lathe type dovetail since its not steel, but the u-channel being filled won't affect the dovetail.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Filling it with concrete/mortar will dampen vibration. It will also make it hard to remove the screws in the future if you need to change the dovetail.

jaydog468

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filling it with concrete/mortar will dampen vibration. It will also make it hard to remove the screws in the future if you need to change the dovetail.

Good point, you could cut some tubes for the screws and mix the concrete/mortar wet and pour it in from one end.

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Would the vibrations be reduced enough to notice like when tapering?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, filling with steel swarf and sand works very well for dampening vibrations.
A lot of Ali based robot machines are done this way.

BuchananCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
remove the in the future

chris the way i did one old mid cue smith i had and sold

USED basic PVC Titan rod made a sleeve to go over the the bolt fit in between the u channel and the bed i put vassal on bed and bolt together and cap one side and then fill with mortar when hardens unbolt and the vassal help the bed not stick to motor.

Dale
Buchanan Custom Cues

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll try it. Seems there are no bad things that will happen if I use the tubes as you guys have suggested, only good things.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think if I were to do this I would go get some clear rubber water drain line to use for the sleeves. That way you can cut it a little longer and not worry about any depth interference when tightening the bed back down. I would also totally grease all the screws.

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a plan. I know if you did your beds like this shipping would be outrageous.