Are League Playoffs Fair?

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be fun if there were several free tournaments during/after the season that anyone in the league could play? Maybe with cash payouts or other prizes. Wouldn't it be nice if there were an end-of-session BBQ after every session? I know you say that you don't play for money, but don't you think your league would like it if the top several players received cash at session's end?

I think the problem here is that you are like most APA regulars...you don't know how much BETTER the league could be.

You're taking your one league (which sounds awesome) and making it the norm for all BCA. Simply isn't the case. One of the BCA leagues where I am have many people who are unhappy and complain and say the LO isn't fair. So should I go into every thread about BCA and say how terrible it is because of this one person/league?

The APA here is (now) run amazingly well and the LO is very good to the players. He was out in Vegas last week (I think) for the Singles/Doubles tourney and he bought everyone drinks the whole time. That's not all he does but just a bonus and a nice thing to do.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be fun if there were several free tournaments during/after the season that anyone in the league could play? Maybe with cash payouts or other prizes. Wouldn't it be nice if there were an end-of-session BBQ after every session? I know you say that you don't play for money, but don't you think your league would like it if the top several players received cash at session's end?

I think the problem here is that you are like most APA regulars...you don't know how much BETTER the league could be.

The thing is you just assumed the league I played in was APA. I actually play BCA and NAPA but that was not the point of my post.

Obviously you will think that your league is better than all of the others out there because you are biased.

The top teams do receive cash at the end of the season. All I am saying is that is not one of my motivators for playing in one league over a different one. I am one of the top players in the leagues I am in but don't expect to make money from playing.

I have my complaints about the BCA but I just keep those to myself because it is not productive to voice them. I am of the opinion of if someone enjoys playing pool in a league, then good for them. I don't care which league it is as long as they are playing pool and having fun. At the end of the day that is what matters. If you don't like how a league is operated then don't play. Shouldn't bash the guys who enjoy playing in that league.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad analogy. Our customers have many options when shopping around. If they don't like a quoted price they can go elsewhere.

The APA is often the only pool league in town. Players don't have a choice. If they did and they knew just how much of their fees went into the LO's pocket, they might opt for a different league.

So it's not about how much you make, but how much you charge and what your customers get for that price? Doesn't sound like such a bad analogy to me.

There are plenty of areas where APA is NOT the only pool league in town. Yet APA always seems to end up the biggest pool league in town, often by a lot. How do you explain that?

And you didn't answer the question - how much do you make?

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

We have regular tournaments here. Not free, but 100% payout tournaments, so the evil LO isn't making anything from them. Yet he arranges to have them put on. For us.

He also has a major Christmas tournament, with lots of prizes. LOTS of them.

But all of that really doesn't matter, in the end, if the people playing in the league weren't enjoying it. And we do. And I realize that annoys the crap out of you. Sorry about that.

The week in, week out experience of playing in our league is very good. I will repeat it yet again. We get great value for our $9 paid to the APA here. A night of pool with open tables, able to play all night. No coin drops, no greens fees. We have a structured league, with all the statistics taken care of for us.

You really have a hair across your tookus about this.

How much do you make in your software engineer job? After all, it's ok for you to worry so much about what the franchise owners in APA make? Your argument about it not being a fair comparison isn't valid. After all, as you have proven, anyone can set up a BCA league anywhere, so there can be competition anywhere that the APA exists.

I hope my LO makes a bunch of money. A whole bunch. He deserves it. He runs a successful business, and in my opinion, if your business is successful, you deserve to reap the rewards from it. I don't think he drives a Rolls, but great if he does.

(If any given LO has a poorly run territory, then its a different story, and I wouldn't likely be so supportive. The good news is that isn't the case here. And given the same reaction by many other posters in this thread, it apparently as widespread as some might have you believe.)