"Diamondizing" a Gold Crown III.. In Germany

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
So.. Got some initial pictures coming in. Please keep in mind.. Extended subrails is not something Germans really do, and I appreciate the mechanic making the effort, either way. I will add a few pics as we go..

Attachments

• 20180923_110607-1032x581.jpg
    20180923_110607-1032x581.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20180923_125541-580x699.jpg
    20180923_125541-580x699.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 429
  • 20180923_110543-580x1031.jpg
    20180923_110543-580x1031.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180923_110533-580x1031.jpg
    20180923_110533-580x1031.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 139

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Mechanic carving out the nameplate hole so that it can sit flush. I am considering putting clear epoxy over it to get a smooth surface at that end of the table.. This is a change I requested last minute..

Attachments

• 20180923_131517-580x1031.jpg
    20180923_131517-580x1031.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 136

91design

Registered
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that cloth on the rail isn't installed correctly...
How did your mechanic level the table?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that cloth on the rail isn't installed correctly...
How did your mechanic level the table?

You are absolutely right! The fold is definitely in the wrong place and looks like there is cloth tucked under it. Stop calling this guy a "mechanic", he is obviously not one at all.

You came on here with all this hype and this is what you are accepting? Bastardizing is more like it because it is very very very far from "Diamondized"

Trent from Toledo

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
You are absolutely right! The fold is definitely in the wrong place and looks like there is cloth tucked under it. Stop calling this guy a "mechanic", he is obviously not one at all.

You came on here with all this hype and this is what you are accepting? Bastardizing is more like it because it is very very very far from "Diamondized"

Trent from Toledo

Nobody hyped anything. That's the asshole in your head you must have heard who can't stand to let any thread go in the mechanic's forum without a sarcastic, negative response. You are one of the most toxic people on here.

The entire time, I said that I didn't really have a choice, and that I just have to roll the dice, and hope the guy does a good job. That's not fookin "hype".

In the end, the pockets are at least as tight as the tighter Diamonds I played on at Derby this year, but the pockets play fair. They play MILES better than the club tables, by a large margin, and this was verified by a good club player who came over right after it was installed.

The table banks well so far, and the three rail tracks I tried so far all run true. Given that I paid about $150 for the labor to do the subrail extension, I am satisfied with the work, all things considered.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
More pics for those actually interested in the process, and not making themselves feel superior..

Attachments

• 20180923_180528-580x1031.jpg
    20180923_180528-580x1031.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180923_180602-1032x581.jpg
    20180923_180602-1032x581.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180923_180708-580x1031.jpg
    20180923_180708-580x1031.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 128

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You came in the mechanic section "asking" questions and then it turned into telling everyone how it is.... Thats the fact of the matter.
Quite a few people must feel the same way because they told you exactly what they thought, just like I did.
This work belongs in the HACKWORK section post for sure. If anything you are providing real world knowledge for people on how NOT to Diamondize a table. There are only a handful of people in this country that can do the work correctly and taking a gamble on a guy who cant even correctly recover a rail.... That side pocket fold is ridiculous and I would say you accepting it makes your screen name on here hold true, you surely rode the short bus Russ! Enjoy that butchered GC3!

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
More pics for those actually interested in the process, and not making themselves feel superior..

p.s. for those who are interested in the "process" DO NOT USE THIS AS ANY TYPE OF AN EXAMPLE..... These are terrible results.

I don't care if you spent to little or too much, if it ain't right you got screwed and was a waste of time and money.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Enough knocking the work of others. I don't know a single mechanic one that started out doing perfect work, and can name plenty doing this work for 20+ years that still can't get it right. I've said for years, until there is an official library of knowledge for all to learn from, THEN choose NOT to learn, then that's a hack. And as you ALL know, there is no school for pool table installers or table mechanics. I just wonder what level of work a lot of you would be doing today had it not been for me not SHARING some of my knowledge here on AZB. Diamond wouldn't even be a pool table name anyone would still remember today had i NOT decided to share my knowledge with them 18 years ago!!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Enough knocking the work of others. I don't know a single mechanic one that started out doing perfect work, and can name plenty doing this work for 20+ years that still can't get it right. I've said for years, until there is an official library of knowledge for all to learn from, THEN choose NOT to learn, then that's a hack. And as you ALL know, there is no school for pool table installers or table mechanics. I just wonder what level of work a lot of you would be doing today had it not been for me not SHARING some of my knowledge here on AZB. Diamond wouldn't even be a pool table name anyone would still remember today had i NOT decided to share my knowledge with them 18 years ago!!!

I have learned more from you than any other mechanic. Your willingness to share your skills is amazing. You have contributed to this forum immensely.
You have helped my knowledge base grow so much and in turn that has helped my business GROW!!

I am not knocking the work so much, I could point out quite a few more things wrong every time he posts more pics. The work speaks for itself and proves how not to do it. Lots of people look at this section for help, I am simply pointing out what NOT to use as an example. Never cussed at anyone or said anything untrue.

The information is out there for those who want to do it right!

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have learned more from you than any other mechanic. Your willingness to share your skills is amazing. You have contributed to this forum immensely.
You have helped my knowledge base grow so much and in turn that has helped my business GROW!!

I am not knocking the work so much, I could point out quite a few more things wrong every time he posts more pics. The work speaks for itself and proves how not to do it. Lots of people look at this section for help, I am simply pointing out what NOT to use as an example. Never cussed at anyone or said anything untrue.

The information is out there for those who want to do it right!

Trent from Toledo

You do realize AZB membership equates to about the size of a pimple on a nats ass when it comes to the amount of people that work on pool tables worldwide that have never heard of this forum...right?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You do realize AZB membership equates to about the size of a pimple on a nats ass when it comes to the amount of people that work on pool tables worldwide that have never heard of this forum...right?

I do realize that is most likely a fact. What I cannot understand is how... This is the biggest pool website / forum out there. If anyone did a basic search, they should find it immediately.

Anyone who plays pool and can notice the differences between the tables, should be inspired to research and find out as much as they can about what they are doing. Your new library will push that and like you said, people won't have any excuse for work being wrong.

I can personally say there are a handful of things i can't wait to see on the library you are going to publish and also the release of the new adhesive. i spoke with one of the Diamond Installers a few weeks ago and he said it was very good and zero smell!!! :)

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
65,000+ members on AZB....Call any billiards business listed in the Spokane, WA area, and not one of them is aware of this website. In fact, call most any billiards business and I'd be willing to bet you'd be lucky to find 2 out of 50 that know anything about AZB. WHAT do you suppose that ratio is out of country???

You came in the mechanic section "asking" questions and then it turned into telling everyone how it is.... Thats the fact of the matter.

Quite a few people must feel the same way because they told you exactly what they thought, just like I did.

This work belongs in the HACKWORK section post for sure. If anything you are providing real world knowledge for people on how NOT to Diamondize a table. There are only a handful of people in this country that can do the work correctly and taking a gamble on a guy who cant even correctly recover a rail.... That side pocket fold is ridiculous and I would say you accepting it makes your screen name on here hold true, you surely rode the short bus Russ! Enjoy that butchered GC3!

Trent from Toledo

I support this post. Certainly a hack work candidate. This is no where near acceptable work. I said in the first post and short buss lambasted me for speaking the truth. What did I say? I said it will be interesting to see how the cloth was laid down. It is in fact trash. The name badge? It was kinda silly to recess it to begin with but if you were going to do it it could have been done right. Ever heard of a router? This is sooooo sad. If anyone thinks this table will play like a diamond or a properly set up GC they are way, way off. I then start to question the playing skills if they support playing on this table.

Good luck Russ. I hope it’s what you wanted. It’s unfortunate but I think that table is ruined for life. It actually makes me a little ill to see all this.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I support this post. Certainly a hack work candidate. This is no where near acceptable work. I said in the first post and short buss lambasted me for speaking the truth. What did I say? I said it will be interesting to see how the cloth was laid down. It is in fact trash. The name badge? It was kinda silly to recess it to begin with but if you were going to do it it could have been done right. Ever heard of a router? This is sooooo sad. If anyone thinks this table will play like a diamond or a properly set up GC they are way, way off. I then start to question the playing skills if they support playing on this table.

Good luck Russ. I hope it’s what you wanted. It’s unfortunate but I think that table is ruined for life. It actually makes me a little ill to see all this.

I guarantee you, Russ can pocket balls....LOL

"Diamondizing" a Gold Crown III.. In Germany

The cloth on this table is already loose. Soon after a little play it will loose to the touch giving nowhere near the rebound effect. Think about shooting a rail shot past those side pockets. It’s going to catch. This really isn’t a playable table and certainly not one to practice on that will give you any feel for a diamond.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My 4 year old daughter can pocket balls. I am not necessarily questioning his playing ability. I am questioning his judgment if he thinks this table plays anywhere near an acceptable standard.

Have you seen the hack work thread in the mechanics forum? Are you suppose to quit playing pool if you can't get a pool table set up to play as well as it can be made to play, because the local mechanic talent is weak? If that were the case about 90% of American tables wouldn't pass the quality work test either, so then what....quit playing?