Custom Revo Weight Choices - balance point

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Right, but where can you buy it? Thanks.

You probably need to check with your local authorised predator dealer. If lucky, they might have custom ordered a few shafts of different weights ready to be sold but this is highly unlikely. Most likely you need to put in a custom order and from what I understand there is already a wait list.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance point has no reference that matters with where someone should hold their cue. Hold the cue where your forearm hangs straight down, when your tip is touching the CB. That's all that matters.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Now that Predator allows you to choose between 3.5oz, 4.0oz, and 4.5oz; how would you go about deciding which weight is going to be best.

Assuming you are ordering the shaft for an existing butt, I guess you could just decide what you want your total cue weight to be and let that guide your decision.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to find the balance point with another shaft on the cue and decide if you want more or less weight forward just based on feel.

Is there some generally accepted ideal balance point for a cue?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot order or buy something straight through Predator. They are a wholesaler only. You would have to order through a distributor like Seyberts or Omega.

Scott Lee

Either directly from Predator or I think Seyberts will place the order for you.

Either way the order is placed with Predator and it is about a 90 day wait.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct information from Gold Crown! :thumbup: That's all that should matter.

Scott Lee

With any cue I ever owned it was a matter of I liked it or didn't. Especially shafts. Never considered it's weight.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance point has no reference that matters with where someone should hold their cue. Hold the cue where your forearm hangs straight down, when your tip is touching the CB. That's all that matters.

Scott Lee

Hey Scott, (sent PM to you too), What are your thoughts (without any bashing of course) on Sharvia idea on the "Power Draw" in relation to bridge length and grip position?

Played around with it Monday...

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Do this:

Find a revo shaft that will fit your cue.

Weigh the shaft.

Subtract the shaft weight from "your ideal" shaft weight.

Use ^^^^^^^^^^ result to add lead tape to the bottom two inches of the shaft.

Take medical paper-tape (very thin and will not hurt the shaft) and put one layer around shaft. Then weigh out enough of the lead tape to make the shaft equal your desired weight and put it on top of the paper tape.

Run a few drills with it.

Add a little and do the drills again.

Take some off and do them again.

Other that^^^^^^^^:

Weight bolts in cue butt or a mid-cue extension.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff,
Almost sounds like you’ve been talking with Earl...(just kiddin’).
Will Prout

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff,
Almost sounds like you’ve been talking with Earl...(just kiddin’).
Will Prout

Lol....I've been told that before. Actually I've been using the tape that golfers use to rebalance my cues as needed for some time now.

It amazes me how a cue will play so much different by moving it's balance point forward or back by just a inch or two.

When I play games that I may be jacked up (think....1hole, 14.1 etc...etc) I like a forward balanced cue. That way the cue will stay down on open bridges while over a stack/ball much better than a rear balanced cue.

On the other hand, if I'm gonna play 9 ball on a big table, I'm more out to use a closed bridge and need to juice the cb more so, at that point move the weight back and then remove some to make it a bit lighter so my stroke speed will increase allowing me to move whitey with more precision without having to muscle the ball around.

Then again, 9 ball on a bar box, I like a forward balanced cue. I use an open bridge on bar boxes. It doesn't take much power to move the ball plus, the open bridge is more accurate and, like in 1hole the open bridge is better in congestion that is more out to be had on small tables.

Some people thinks I'm crazy :grin-square: but, it helps my game and when a person plays as bad as I do, well, lol....every little bit helps.

Jeff

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Lol....I've been told that before. Actually I've been using the tape that golfers use to rebalance my cues as needed for some time now.

It amazes me how a cue will play so much different by moving it's balance point forward or back by just a inch or two.

When I play games that I may be jacked up (think....1hole, 14.1 etc...etc) I like a forward balanced cue. That way the cue will stay down on open bridges while over a stack/ball much better than a rear balanced cue.

On the other hand, if I'm gonna play 9 ball on a big table, I'm more out to use a closed bridge and need to juice the cb more so, at that point move the weight back and then remove some to make it a bit lighter so my stroke speed will increase allowing me to move whitey with more precision without having to muscle the ball around.

Then again, 9 ball on a bar box, I like a forward balanced cue. I use an open bridge on bar boxes. It doesn't take much power to move the ball plus, the open bridge is more accurate and, like in 1hole the open bridge is better in congestion that is more out to be had on small tables.

Some people thinks I'm crazy :grin-square: but, it helps my game and when a person plays as bad as I do, well, lol....every little bit helps.

Jeff

Jeff,
I agree with your comment about importance of the balance point, and that it makes a bit of a difference depending on the game and table size. I also tend to agree with each of your balance point comments.

Will

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff,
I agree with your comment about importance of the balance point, and that it makes a bit of a difference depending on the game and table size. I also tend to agree with each of your balance point comments.

Will

IMO, any time someone like you acknowledges and agrees with what is said, it most assuredly makes the poster feel complimented.

It's always a good thing to be reassured by someone in the know.

Jeff

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Scott Lee

You can blame Mosconi for that.
Dear Lord, he must have trolled the pool world with that.
Some people insist on it too.
You can even see youtube videos of some village instructor teaching it.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot order or buy something straight through Predator. They are a wholesaler only. You would have to order through a distributor like Seyberts or Omega.

Scott Lee

Scott:

This might be true for most items, but Predator is taking direct orders for custom Revo shafts. They will send you an order form that you can fill out and email back to their sales group and then you can call and provide payment information over the phone.

Kevin

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now that Predator allows you to choose between 3.5oz, 4.0oz, and 4.5oz; how would you go about deciding which weight is going to be best.

Assuming you are ordering the shaft for an existing butt, I guess you could just decide what you want your total cue weight to be and let that guide your decision.
If cue weight is important to you, the total cue weight should guide your decision (assuming you can't or don't want to adjust the weight of you butt with weight bolts).

I'm wondering if it's worth it to find the balance point with another shaft on the cue and decide if you want more or less weight forward just based on feel.

Some people care a lot about the "feel" of a certain balance point, but the exact location isn't important from a physics perspective. For more info, see:

cue balance point resource page

Regards,
Dave

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If cue weight is important to you, the total cue weight should guide your decision (assuming you can't or don't want to adjust the weight of you butt with weight bolts).

Some people care a lot about the "feel" of a certain balance point, but the exact location isn't important from a physics perspective. For more info, see:

cue balance point resource page

Regards,
Dave

Dave:

Thank you for the information. I read the material on balance point and inertia and have a couple questions. Earlier in the thread it was stated that a common balance point for cues is between 18 to 19 inches from the butt. Your article indicated that a more rear balanced cue might help to keep a straight stroke in line.

Question 1: Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in the moment of inertia from 18 to 19 inches? Or would the balance point need to be further to the rear before a difference is noticed?

Question 2: Your article said that with a pendulum stroke a larger moment of inertia would require more up/down force. I interpret this to mean that because there is more weight in the rear of the cue, the back hand is going to feel the weight more and require more energy to keep the cue nice and parallel through the stroke. Am I reading that right?

Thanks again for the info. I have read most of your material and watched a lot of your videos over the years and have always found them to be very interesting and helpful.

Kevin

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave:

Thank you for the information. I read the material on balance point and inertia and have a couple questions. Earlier in the thread it was stated that a common balance point for cues is between 18 to 19 inches from the butt. Your article indicated that a more rear balanced cue might help to keep a straight stroke in line.

Question 1: Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in the moment of inertia from 18 to 19 inches?
No.

Or would the balance point need to be further to the rear before a difference is noticed?
Even then, I'm not sure the effect is really significant.

Question 2: Your article said that with a pendulum stroke a larger moment of inertia would require more up/down force. I interpret this to mean that because there is more weight in the rear of the cue, the back hand is going to feel the weight more and require more energy to keep the cue nice and parallel through the stroke. Am I reading that right?
No. The extra dynamic force is required to rotate the inertia of the cue, not to support the static weight.

Thanks again for the info. I have read most of your material and watched a lot of your videos over the years and have always found them to be very interesting and helpful.
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you enjoy and benefit from my stuff.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct information from Gold Crown! That's all that should matter.

Scott Lee

I disagree. What you "like" about it can be narrowed down, and it could be the weight or balance. Coincidentally it's how Predator came to be - figuring out why one shaft workwf better than another.

Julian

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of people commented without really contributing. Here is my advice: some weight in the shaft is good. It makes a difference when you are jacked up and choking the cue. 3.5 oz is too light. 4 or 4.5 are good and a matter of preference. Traditionally a heavier shaft would mean more deflection, the beauty of the Revo is the weight can be tweaked without affecting deflection.

In my case I chose 4oz because 4.5 would take the total weight of my cue to 20oz which with the stiffness of the carbon is a bit much I think. Easy. Also keep in mind that those weights are approximate, I just tried a Revo that was supposed to be 4 oz and was actually 4.2

Julian

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff,

Will

I've asked lots and lots of players about their preferences with balance points in cues. What I've experienced from conversation is:

Most players have no idea why they like certain cues compared to other cues, other than total weight, length and type tip.

IMO, a player has to be very, very in tune with their cue to truly play at "their" peak ability.

As I mentioned above, I've ask many people and most didn't really have a preference or just gave a guess as in, "somewhere in the x range".

I've talked to several elite players about this very topic (and cue length as well) and among the list is SVB.

SVB told me word-for-word: " I like weight up front to begin with because if there isn't a forward weight then the cue will be to butt heavy with my butt extension attached".

SVB went on to say: "I think a longer bridge combined with a cue that is forward balanced and longer as a whole gives a better chance of accuracy on certain shots but, doesn't take accuracy away from the other shots. I don't really know how to explain it. That's just what I like."

Other pros and several other higher-ranking amateurs have told me they feel very similar.

To each their own but, like Will and SVB (and other top guns) I feel that the balance point can make a difference in certain shots while playing certain games on different tables.

When two players are extremely close in skill, well, that's when even the smallest of differences can be HUGE and mean a win or loss.

On the other hand, if two players are mismatched by a large amount, well, the differences will not change the outcome in any way.

I guess it depends on what level you play at compared to your opponent's if the "small" things make a difference or not.

Jeff

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^
nice post jeff
while maybe not a "main" cue aspect
I think balance point is an important one
I also like what you say about being "in tune" with a cue
cues are so customizable
so why not customize them?
why conform to what's given
cater the tool to what you like
and you can use it well

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
cues are so customizable
so why not customize them?
why conform to what's given
cater the tool to what you like
and you can use it well
That can be a never-ending cycle - fine if you enjoy that (and can afford it).

We like what we're accustomed to. So another approach is to stick with one cue long enough to "accustomize" yourself to it.

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That can be a never-ending cycle - fine if you enjoy that (and can afford it).

We like what we're accustomed to. So another approach is to stick with one cue long enough to "accustomize" yourself to it.

pj
chgo

get to a point, and "accustomize," I agree with:grin:
but there's a lot one can do to get to that point
and while time is obviously worth something
in terms of dollars, I've spent less than 200 bux
over 3-4 years, to get to where I'm currently at
where I know what taper I like
what weight, within an ounce
what length, within an inch
what tip diameter, within a mm
a few other tidbits