Jean Balukas's Hall of Fame Billiards is closing this weekend, Brooklyn NY

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My friend Ashley Burrows posted this on Facebook

Sad day here in Brooklyn. Hall of Fame Billiards has finally been sold and will be closing it’s doors forever 😢. I spoke with Jean today and the last day will most likely be this Sunday. Stop in for a last visit while you can

This poolhall and building was owned by Jean Balukas and her family.
https://brooklynreporter.com/2018/03/historic-hall-of-fame-billiards-in-bay-ridge-for-sale/

Here is a video from Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq_0Td7PHzc

Attachments

• 82410070_476888946568006_7201967755124277248_n.jpg
    82410070_476888946568006_7201967755124277248_n.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,202

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend Ashley Burrows posted this on Facebook

Sad day here in Brooklyn. Hall of Fame Billiards has finally been sold and will be closing it’s doors forever ��. I spoke with Jean today and the last day will most likely be this Sunday. Stop in for a last visit while you can

This poolhall and building was owned by Jean Balukas and her family.
https://brooklynreporter.com/2018/03/historic-hall-of-fame-billiards-in-bay-ridge-for-sale/

Here is a video from Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq_0Td7PHzc
Sucks. I guess it was a big part of the neighborhood. So expensive there i'm surprised it lasted this long with rent rates, taxes and all. Too bad.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are buildings like this rented instead of being owned ?
They might own it. I looked it up and one real-estate site said owned by Bay Ridge Billiards. 9,400sq.ft. lot with almost 19,000sq.ft. of total space. Saw one price in the $6,500,000 range.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sucks. I guess it was a big part of the neighborhood. So expensive there i'm surprised it lasted this long with rent rates, taxes and all. Too bad.
I wonder what they’re doing with the GC1 tables that are in there?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You should call them directly before they closed. If its anything like when Masters closed, they could be auctioning off the tables.

If you're looking for tables in the NY/NJ area, I suggest reaching out to John Kluglinski. He is a well known and respected table mechanic, who would likely know who has tables for sale.

Do you have concrete info on how many GC's are left for sale? Any idea of price? Thanks

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
With as much money as pool players spend, how long could it possibly take to recoup 6.5M?

They might own it. I looked it up and one real-estate site said owned by Bay Ridge Billiards. 9,400sq.ft. lot with almost 19,000sq.ft. of total space. Saw one price in the $6,500,000 range.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With as much money as pool players spend, how long could it possibly take to recoup 6.5M?
That's a good point. The place I used to play was offered a chance to buy the property at the end of their lease. I think it was 1.2M for a 12-table room in what appeared to be a large quonset hut in about 1988. You have to charge a lot for table time to make that pencil out. It turned into an expansion of the Nissan/Volkswagen dealership. As close as I can figure it has now turned into a bike shop where they sell $5000 bikes. My last bike was a Schwinn 10-speed @$65. My how times have changed.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crowns on eBay

The Gold Crown tables from there are on eBay now - 1 sold, 7 available. $800 But It Now, or Make Offer.

Wow, what a deal!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
End of an era for sure.

I probably played at Hall of Fame Billiards over thirty times and had many pool matches against both Jean Balukas and her then roommate Gerda Hofstatter in the 2000-05 years. I knew Jean's parents, Al and Peggy Balukas, and met all of Jean's brothers and sisters. They were a great family and for those of them that remain, I wish them the best of times and the best of luck.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good point. The place I used to play was offered a chance to buy the property at the end of their lease. I think it was 1.2M for a 12-table room in what appeared to be a large quonset hut in about 1988. You have to charge a lot for table time to make that pencil out. It turned into an expansion of the Nissan/Volkswagen dealership. As close as I can figure it has now turned into a bike shop where they sell $5000 bikes. My last bike was a Schwinn 10-speed @$65. My how times have changed.

Current prices are crazy. I rode on a bike trail near DC last weekend that is far too crowded and I was agog at the amount of $10k+ bikes under butts that would never get them going fast.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rent, Taxes, Insurance, Phone, Internet, Cable TV, etc., etc., etc. Cost of having a business is very pricy. I honeslty do not understand how in 2020 a Pool Room can afford to stay open. Plus run in the black to where the owner is making enough after paying the bills to justify the aggravation.

Scott Frost the Freezers Place is a new room in Tempe, AZ. But bottom line is the P & L statement will tell the truth if the place is actually making it. BLACK INK.

Last edited: