Would you have integrity?

Big Business

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/groups/42909123686/permalink/10156326086958687?sfns=mo

We had a very large tourney this weekend in Edmonton Alberta Canada with hundreds of teams.

Down to the final few teams the above happened. The shooting player says that the watching player should have called a ref on the shot. Anyone with an ounce of integrity would call the foul on themself when asked. Not immediately say “you should have called a ref”

There was also intimidation of the other team as well by the fouling team.

How can this sport grow if the leaders don’t lead especially in the highest division there is?

Be an ambassador for honesty not shameful ness. What would you do as the shooter?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may not always announce a foul on myself depending on the setting. Mostly I would. But I would ALWAYS admit to a foul I committed when asked. On that shot I couldn’t imagine not knowing I clipped that ball with how much it moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may not always announce a foul on myself depending on the setting. Mostly I would. But I would ALWAYS admit to a foul I committed when asked. On that shot I couldn’t imagine not knowing I clipped that ball with how much it moved.

Seriously?? Gotta be asked/prodded to do the right thing?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why?

Why does a person have to be asked before calling a foul on themselves?

Hu

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Alright, I watched the video, was that an actual video of the shot in question?
I have a hard time believing it was that obvious, but if it was how do you NOT call the foul
on yourself? Is there anyone (even the blind people) that couldn't see that?
OK, so you figure that you get a referee if the shot will be close, but if there is absolutely
no question like in the video, you really don't need a referee, if it's a foul it's going to be
obvious, and it was.
The hardest thing would have been for me admit that the shooter, though he was so
crooked that he has to screw his shorts on, was right, without the referee the shooter
can pretty much make what ever call he wants regardless of how obvious the foul was.
Was this an APA event? How did his team feel about that?

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tell my team that in APA, disputed calls always go to the shooter, so if their opponent is shooting something close, it is their responsibility to have a neutral party watch or video the shot.

Having said that I can't imagine anyone not calling that foul on themselves. I would certainly call that a sportsmanship issue, and the TD or LO should see that video if they haven't already....

Big Business

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the shot although better quality through you tube. It was the western Canadian vnea championships.

The threats of violence should have been immediately dealt with by the ref and the committee imo

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously?? Gotta be asked/prodded to do the right thing?

Just bring honest here. Mostly no, but in some circumstances yes. Probably the most likely scenario is kicking out of a safety, making good contact, and not catching a rail afterwards. If you haven’t been sportsmanlike up until that point then I might leave it to you to pay attention and call/question the foul.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bring honest here. Mostly no, but in some circumstances yes. Probably the most likely scenario is kicking out of a safety, making good contact, and not catching a rail afterwards. If you haven’t been sportsmanlike up until that point then I might leave it to you to pay attention and call/question the foul.

You related to JB??

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The person who fouled allegedly said that the opponent was at fault for not calling a ref??? If that is true a ref needs to be called for every shot if there is going to be a dispute on that shot. It amazes me how unsportsmanlike some people can be, based on this situation I can only say the shooter is a POS.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strangely, the HD video that cuesports live filmed has been pulled from youtube. It was much better quality than the clip in the first post.

On this shot the ref reviewed the video replay and still called it fair. Strange situation all around.

VNEA needs to modify its rules and make it clear that a ref can review video footage to make a ruling if he chooses.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The person who fouled allegedly said that the opponent was at fault for not calling a ref??? If that is true a ref needs to be called for every shot if there is going to be a dispute on that shot. It amazes me how unsportsmanlike some people can be, based on this situation I can only say the shooter is a POS.

That’s what I was thinking. A ref would need to watch every shot then. A guy could move the cue ball with his hand, and just saw that you should have called a ref then. This is not a matter of a really close hit, and hard to know the correct answer. This is straight up being a douche....if indeed this was a obvious foul.

On another note, I saw people on Facebook talking about the ref, and how he could make such a bad call. Before this thread, I figured they had probably got a ref who is related to the shooter, and bet on his team to win. :)

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Strangely, the HD video that cuesports live filmed has been pulled from youtube. It was much better quality than the clip in the first post.

On this shot the ref reviewed the video replay and still called it fair. Strange situation all around.

VNEA needs to modify its rules and make it clear that a ref can review video footage to make a ruling if he chooses.

I did see someone say that the eight ball moved a tiny bit before the cue ball hit the rail. I cannot day whether it did or not, but from what I saw, nobody that responded to him saw the eight ball move....hence making it a good hit.

Hard to believe that the ref who still call it a good hit after watching the video, if maybe the eight ball was not nicked to start.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person who fouled allegedly said that the opponent was at fault for not calling a ref?

To be fair, I don't think the shooter said this, it was his team (that was also using bullying tactics). I'm pretty sure the shooter remained quiet until the ref made his decision. I also don't think the shooter was aware of the foul until after, he legitimately though it was clean.

The controversy with this shot is that it was video reviewed by a ref and called fair. It was a pivotal decision and directly affected the outcome of the match.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible that the shooter thought that the eight ball was slightly rubbed on the way out before hitting the rail? That would make it a legal it. Sometimes these thing happen and only the shooter knows about it if the object doesn't move hardly any.