Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

theattendant

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

Our league recently moved to a new pool hall, and on the first night of the league we were informed they were charging a 1$ green fee. I understand that it is only a dollar, but it's more about the principal here. I have been playing in leagues on and off for the last 12 years in 3 different states and they have never charged a green fee.

In my view, most pool halls are happy to have the food and beverage business that the league brings in on a night that would usually be considered an "off" night.

My question is, do you guys and gals pay a green fee for league? Am I being crazy here or what?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mostly play in bars. That's all I have in my rural area, without having to drive an hour that is. Usually there is no green fees. The exception is when the are mini tournaments. And those are 5 dollar green fees per person.

If they use that dollar to keep the table in top notch shape, I wouldn't mind a dollar a night at all. If it's just to put in their pocket, I'll mind it more, but pay it anyway.

Face it.... pool players are cheap bastards. They will pay hundreds for a cue, but think they should be playing for free... the establishment should honor them just for showing up.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

Our league recently moved to a new pool hall, and on the first night of the league we were informed they were charging a 1$ green fee. I understand that it is only a dollar, but it's more about the principal here. I have been playing in leagues on and off for the last 12 years in 3 different states and they have never charged a green fee.

In my view, most pool halls are happy to have the food and beverage business that the league brings in on a night that would usually be considered an "off" night.

My question is, do you guys and gals pay a green fee for league? Am I being crazy here or what?
I go to a large room that has a lot of leagues. They don't spend much on either food or drink to be honest. Bunch of cheapass water drinkers mostly. I don't blame the place for the $1(really???? ONE BUCK??) fee at all.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

Our league pays the green fee to the pool hall. It is a per person amount. So it comes right out of our weekly league $$. In your situation it is only a dollar and I am not going to call you crazy, but, I would be happy to be in a Pool Hall over a bar any day, not sure where your league moved from.... Definitely not something to be upset about IMO.

Trent from Toledo

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Every place that I have ever played league has been split quarters or pay green fees with the exception of where I am now here in Huntsville, AL. Tables are open but I don't know if any of my weekly dues goes towards table time.
I have no problem paying $1-3 for fees or splitting quarters. I would not expect the bar to open the tables unless it is an in-house league run by the owner. The bar gets nothing from BCA, NAPA, APA, VNEA. Can't expect them not to make any money

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottled water is usually $0.15- $0.20 per bottle, so the mark up between $1.00-$2.00 is actually a good profit :) Just sayin :)

Trent:thumbup:
The spot in question still does free icewater. I've told the owner he's an idiot for doing it. I'd give free water with a food order and that's it, all others pay cash.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is important to remember that your host is a business and without profit...poof.

$1 sounds quite favorable to the patrons, honestly.

How many players are there? 50? 100? Presuming the $1s go straight to the host's pocket, is it unreasonable for him to get that $ for the opportunity he provides? I don't think so.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I couldn't vote.

In my league scenario, we play out of many different bars and pool halls (travelling league).

Some with Valley tables make you put quarters in (no green fee), some open up their Valleys and let us play for free. One of the pool halls has us pay a $2.00-per-player green fee (but free warm-up time). One of the pool halls lets us warm-up and play for free.

It's a mixed bag for my wife and I...so I couldn't vote.

Personally, I don't find the small amount the green fees are to be offensive, considering those establishments could be renting those tables to regular customers.

Maniac

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The spot in question still does free icewater. I've told the owner he's an idiot for doing it. I'd give free water with a food order and that's it, all others pay cash.

TRUE THAT!!! I forget how cheap people can be. I don't drink booze and tip the bar tender better than most people who drink.

No free water without purchase. I went into a room in Iowa that had one of those water fountains that filled up bottles or glasses. I thought that was super courteous, but, also wondered why they would not want to sell bottled water?

Our league is local an names CRAPS(they do a GREAT job), pays out $10k for first per session and pays the room greens fee's. I think they have grown to 80-90 teams, which is AWESOME!!!

Trent from Toledo

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I didn't vote, our league plays completely at different bars. Some of the places open up the table and we pay "green fees" to the home team and they turn it over to the bar.

If your in a pool hall, you're still using the table wearing out the cloth. I knew of a bar that ran several leagues and a weekly tourney. Put new cloth on early September by January it was looking worn, by March it was pretty much toast. Yeah, plenty of water drinkers in there too.

Pay the green fees, that's super cheap.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
If the room/bar is making $$ I say NO to green fees.
If it happened where I'm at, I'd charge them a doubled fee for my presents. :p
If every player didn't like said green fee and went somewhere else, they'd have no players. BUT, the bar would have a bigger dance floor & we have fewer places to play.
:shrug:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I vote yes and no. I've paid up to $5/match in greens fees and down to zero. There are at least two straight pool leagues in this area that charge no fees for matches that might last two hours.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I vote yes and no. I've paid up to $5/match in greens fees and down to zero. There are at least two straight pool leagues in this area that charge no fees for matches that might last two hours.
We play 8 & 9 ball mainly due to their shorter time.
I do have a way to play handycap 14-1 but so far the lesser quality players don't want to think, just pot.

There is a problem growing tho. Slow play through looOOOoong thinking safety's & pattern rethinking after every shot is making a normal 9:30pm finish last to 11pm. One 8 ball night lasted past midnight, we started at 7!
Our league players are accomplished shooters. No excuse for such a long night. We have jobs that start at 5am., one gets up at 3:30. :eek:

I've suggested a rule be added, call CLOCK on slow players. That player for the rest of the night is required to shoot within 30 or 40 seconds or it's a foul. League Op said it never happen.
. . . I try. :shrug:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I've suggested a rule be added, call CLOCK on slow players. That player for the rest of the night is required to shoot within 30 or 40 seconds or it's a foul. League Op said it never happen.
We have used chess clocks in two leagues around here. I started that after one match took 3.5 hours. With a chess clock you can think for as long as you want on any one shot and no extra time keeper is required.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
We have used chess clocks in two leagues around here. I started that after one match took 3.5 hours. With a chess clock you can think for as long as you want on any one shot and no extra time keeper is required.

'Chess clock'
That defeats the purpose of speeding up an unusually slow game. Just records who's slower/faster.

Twice now our year end tourney (started at 8:10pm) had to finish the next day since the Hall it was held closes at 1am. Even then restarting at 10am it didn't finish until 2pm.
Now THAT'S SOME SLOW NUT PLAYING.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play 8 & 9 ball mainly due to their shorter time.
I do have a way to play handycap 14-1 but so far the lesser quality players don't want to think, just pot.

There is a problem growing tho. Slow play through looOOOoong thinking safety's & pattern rethinking after every shot is making a normal 9:30pm finish last to 11pm. One 8 ball night lasted past midnight, we started at 7!
Our league players are accomplished shooters. No excuse for such a long night. We have jobs that start at 5am., one gets up at 3:30. :eek:

I've suggested a rule be added, call CLOCK on slow players. That player for the rest of the night is required to shoot within 30 or 40 seconds or it's a foul. League Op said it never happen.

And that is the only reason I got out of APA. Our BCA league is limited to 4 players per team, and play 16 total games.... similar to valley league. We start at 7pm and are done by 10.... one night, 9:15.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Prior to 2000 the BCA league I was in, started at 7 finished around 9:45 and we played 5 man team @ 4 games.
Now I'm in a further north league on a 5 man team @ 3 games, start at 7 and it's difficult finish by 10.
Does the thicker colder air make that much difference? :rolleyes:

The big TIME difference was before we played our 4 games in a row, up north we rotate. So rotating each game EATS UP a lot of time. :mad:

OH... and we never paid for Green Fees. (butt covered)

Prior to 2000 we played FAST & LOOSE...

Attachments

• PocketeersSm2.jpg
    PocketeersSm2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited: