How do you repair a mushroomed tip?

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With fewer than 3 or 4 exceptions, I've always repaired or replaced my tips by hand using the most basic of tools.

- Glue
- Tip
- Fingers
- Sand paper of a couple different grades (coarse, fine, etc.)
- A SHARP razor blade

I use an emery board to keep my tips in shape from time to time...BEFORE they mushroom out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_file

Aloha.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I'd drive the 40 miles, or you might be driving 40 miles to purchase a new shaft.

or, I had pretty good success with a Porper Big Shaver. I was tipping everything in sight, pretty much anything that would fit in there and everyone's pool cue, house cues at the bars we played at, the bartenders pencil...
The Big shaver was reasonably priced and seemed to work out real well

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else tried Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer? I herd that it can gouge the tip. I'd rather drive the 40 miles than use a razor blade.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the porper. It works okay, but I can see how a tip could get gauged. The best way to use it is to take off a very little bit at a time.

I've also used the ultimate tip tool. It's got a couple of bits of abrasive on the outside of the prongs. You need to be careful not to scratch your ferrule, but unless you're quite cack-handed you should be okay. The tool also burnishes the edge of the tip, as well as shaping and scuffing.

To get rid of mushrooms, I take the majority off with the porper, then fine tune and burnish with the tip tool.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.

Buy a Ki-Tech tip, drive 40 miles, never drive there again till tip wears out.

Yes it's a plug :) but I'm super impressed with those tips. Had a Soft for months, never had to touch it once.

Balabushka_Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How I do it...

I take the mushroomed tip off & clean the area
with any simple tools that are available around...

I purchase a new tip I like from the net.
When received I glue the tip back on.
I hold the tip I glued tight with my finger.
I watch the Color Of Money waiting to dry.
I then wash my finger that has a tip dent.
When dry I file, sand to desired shape.
I then black the tip outside with sharpie.
I then don't break or jump with my player.

Actually ya may wanna get one of these
and make money at it locally...

http://youtu.be/oL1OLkClBAE

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else tried Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer? I herd that it can gouge the tip. I'd rather drive the 40 miles than use a razor blade.

1. drive one mile and buy a box cutter - if you can't trim a mushroom with a single
edged razor blade in a box cutter, you have no chance of using any of the above devices
properly.

2. after you have mastered tip trimming, learn how to chalk one and change your avatar.

Dale(always trying to help)

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. drive one mile and buy a box cutter - if you can't trim a mushroom with a single
edged razor blade in a box cutter, you have no chance of using any of the above devices
properly.

2. after you have mastered tip trimming, learn how to chalk one and change your avatar.

Dale(always trying to help)

Dale, Thanks for your constructive input to this thread. I've tried trimming tips with a single edge razor blade. I could never get it perfect.

Is there something wrong with my avatar? Chalking the cue is a whole different subject. The avatar looks like a legitimate one-handed chalking method to me.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the best little tool to keep in case for such need...

this works very well
you can buy them from andyho1984
they are priced fair as i remember but shipping was alot since they are shipped from the far east as i best recall...icbw