Rambow the Grand Father

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Herman Rambow only had one child, his daughter Loretta, with whom he was very close. She eventually got married and delighted Herman with two grandchildren, John and Albert Pranno.

I recently had the privilege and pleasure of speaking with one of Herman's grandsons, Mr. Albert Pranno, and his lovely wife. They were delighted to hear that Herman's work is still very popular, and they informed me that they still have the custom cue that Herman made for Albert as a young man.

We talked about some basic family tree stuff and a little about Herman himself....here are some interesting tidbits from the conversation:

Q: What was Herman like personally?
A: He was very well liked. He had a great sense of humor. He had a permanent smile on his face..... He also liked to tell "silly" jokes......

He would take the bus to work even into his 70s and 80s....

....At Christmas, he would always buy Loretta and [Albert's wife] a very small expensive purse from Marshall Fields. Every year! The reason was that he would tell us that while on the bus, he would always get hit in the head with those large purses that women carried while walking through the bus for a seat...

....[Herman and Maude] lived across the street from St. Angela's Catholic Church, which is where he attended mass regularly...

...He loved Cracker Jack and would collect the toys in the boxes and put them in a tin for his great grandson.

...[Herman] also collected coins and we still have some of his "coin folders" with some very old coins in them.

Q: Did Herman speak with an accent?
A: No, not at all...

Q: Was Herman left or right handed?
A: ...definitely right handed.

Below is a rare photograph of Herman with his daughter Loretta, her son Albert, and his wife, on their wedding day in 1962. A very special thank you to the Prannos for sharing these treasures with us.

Pranno_Wedding_1962-444x376.jpg

Below: Mr. Pranno proudly holds the cue his grandfather made for him.

CIMG2536-274x197.jpg

RAMBOW COLLECTORS/OWNERS - check out the next three photos:

Below: the custom calligraphy from Mr. Pranno's cue

Rambow_cue.jpg

Pranno_cue.jpg

Below: A handwriting/calligraphy sample from Herman Rambow.

handwriting_sample1.jpg

Clearly Herman was capable of doing embellishments and scroll work just fine, with or without the hands of Charlie Kimmel. I believe that some have underestimated him in this capacity.

And speaking of handwriting, with a sample like this, you would think that a forensic investigator might actually be able to distinguish Rambow calligraphy from Kimmel calligraphy.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It is really hard to find information about Herman Rambow, other than his
cuemaking designs, and the time frames before, during, and after Brunswick.
This is terrific stuff, thanks for posting everything

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing. Thank you so much.

Sometimes I wonder about the great makers and players descendants. Do they know how honored their predecessors are among those of us in the cue sports?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI: The cue was made in 1963 or maybe 64' at the latest.
I'll try to post some butt pics as well.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Thanks Bond, Mr. Bond, for all of your effort and time you donate to preserving the history of the game we love so much and the people in it.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I wonder about the great makers and players descendants. Do they know how honored their predecessors are among those of us in the cue sports?

Me too and that is a great question.
So I try to make a point of discussing it with them whenever possible...
The result is this nifty little page called "Living Links"
(a work in progress)

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Herman Rambow only had one child, his daughter Loretta, with whom he was very close. She eventually got married and delighted Herman with two grandchildren, John and Albert Pranno.

I recently had the privilege and pleasure of speaking with one of Herman's grandsons, Mr. Albert Pranno, and his lovely wife. They were delighted to hear that Herman's work is still very popular, and they informed me that they still have the custom cue that Herman made for Albert as a young man.

We talked about some basic family tree stuff and a little about Herman himself....here are some interesting tidbits from the conversation:

Q: What was Herman like personally?
A: He was very well liked. He had a great sense of humor. He had a permanent smile on his face..... He also liked to tell "silly" jokes......

He would take the bus to work even into his 70s and 80s....

....At Christmas, he would always buy Loretta and [Albert's wife] a very small expensive purse from Marshall Fields. Every year! The reason was that he would tell us that while on the bus, he would always get hit in the head with those large purses that women carried while walking through the bus for a seat...

....[Herman and Maude] lived across the street from St. Angela's Catholic Church, which is where he attended mass regularly...

...He loved Cracker Jack and would collect the toys in the boxes and put them in a tin for his great grandson.

...[Herman] also collected coins and we still have some of his "coin folders" with some very old coins in them.

Q: Did Herman speak with an accent?
A: No, not at all...

Q: Was Herman left or right handed?
A: ...definitely right handed.

Below is a rare photograph of Herman with his daughter Loretta, her son Albert, and his wife, on their wedding day in 1962. A very special thank you to the Prannos for sharing these treasures with us.

Pranno_Wedding_1962-444x376.jpg

Below: Mr. Pranno proudly holds the cue his grandfather made for him.

CIMG2536-274x197.jpg

RAMBOW COLLECTORS/OWNERS - check out the next three photos:

Below: the custom calligraphy from Mr. Pranno's cue

Rambow_cue.jpg

Pranno_cue.jpg

Below: A handwriting/calligraphy sample from Herman Rambow.

handwriting_sample1.jpg

Clearly Herman was capable of doing embellishments and scroll work just fine, with or without the hands of Charlie Kimmel. I believe that some have underestimated him in this capacity.

And speaking of handwriting, with a sample like this, you would think that a forensic investigator might actually be able to distinguish Rambow calligraphy from Kimmel calligraphy.

I have to say it. I have seen many cues that Rambow autographed personally with the name, "Rambow" on them. Rambow made at least 5 or 6 cues for me. They didnt look anything like the fancy calligraphy that you are ascribing to him. His real signature was pretty plain. The cues that Charley Kimmel autographed for him were easy to differentiate.
I would personally tend to think that Charley did that fancy work at the museum as well.

Beard

21whiskey

Banned
enjoyed reading and viewing photo's, thank you

his caligraphy was beautiful and the photo of mr and mrs herman rambow seated tells me alot.
see how mrs rambow poised her elbow, when she wanted room mr rambow gave it to her, wow, that tells me plenty.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great information, thanks for sharing.

Interesting point, the signature apperas to have a "ghost signature" or it was traced or written over...

What I mean the signature was lightly written first as a guide for the finished "darken" signature. I have a Rambow I purchased from the orgional owner and the signature has the same " ghost signature " pattern on the forearm and shaft.

How many times people have commented that a Rambow signature has been traced or written over as part of a restoration.

I can't image the difficulty of singing a cue with a lead pencil and getting it right the first time without a "ghost signature " as a guide, how many times do you think the pencil broke!

Regards,

BBC

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuesblues (Ted) brought some Rambows to Felt yesterday.And if you ignore the thick handles these 50 years old or so cues still hit solid as the day they were made.The thick handles bothered me but if they were thinner like modern cues I could use one as my main player.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Cuesblues (Ted) brought some Rambows to Felt yesterday.And if you ignore the thick handles these 50 years old or so cues still hit solid as the day they were made.The thick handles bothered me but if they were thinner like modern cues I could use one as my main player.

The cue with the extra long shaft (I call it the Longbow) was made between 1939 and 1942, and probably all three are about 70 years old.
They are definitely survivors

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
his caligraphy was beautiful and the photo of mr and mrs herman rambow seated tells me alot.
see how mrs rambow poised her elbow, when she wanted room mr rambow gave it to her, wow, that tells me plenty.

I probably could have been a little clearer in the description...

Herman is seated next to his daughter Loretta.
Behind them is one of Loretta's sons, Albert, and his new wife.

sorry for any confusion