joint protectors

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you really need joint protectors when todays cases are so secured or is it just for looks just curious thanks.

Playing cue Jack Madden
Break cue 25oz Rage

Last edited:

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I think they are more for show then anything else. Its just like jewelry for your pool cue.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
I have seen a cue that was accidentally dropped by its owner, and the joint pin wound up becoming bent sidways. The cue had no joint protectors on it. If the cue had joint protectors on it most likely the joint pin would not have become damaged. Proof positive to me that joint protectors are a good idea to have on your cue. Because u just never know what can happen and when.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
do you really need joint protectors when todays cases are so secured or is it just for looks just curious thanks.

Playing cue Jack Madden
Break cue 25oz Rage

Do you need a trigger lock on a handgun? If it's you're main carry piece then it will never see a lock of any kind. But every handgun comes with one. And if you have several that you don't use often, they shod be locked.

I personally think a cue isn't finished without joint protectors. If you have a high dollar custom without jp's, it just looks like something is missing. Not to mention, at that price, throw in some jp's.

Jp's do add protection. We've all dropped our cues before, but if you've ever dropped either the butt or shaft separately, you can appreciate jp's.

Most times you can get a cheap set of delrin jp's that cost less than $10 it's worth it.

Does a cyclist need a helmet? Often enough that they wear them all the time.

Ben

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I've chipped a phenolic joint from dropping my cue, so it's probably to worth it to use them just in case. Funny thing is, I had just taken off the jp's and was about to put the cue together when it happened.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I bought a cheaper Dale Perry cue since I had not shot with a radial joint yet. I didn't get the jps because I didn't want to make that big of a commitment to the cue, I just wanted to try it out and for under $120 I was more surprised than I thought. So I played with it for about a year off and on as a league night cue. I dropped the shaft once and it dinged the corner where the shaft faced the joint and it drove me nuts. I took it to a cue guy and had it repaired, I know I could have done it with sandpaper but I wasn't sure and didn't want to mess it up. The guy gave me jps and told me to use them. All my other cues had them and I didn't really see the need until then. All my cues now have jps and if I order or buy a cue on here or online, I either buy jps or order a set within minutes of the purchase. I use them religiously!

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a one piece cue and carry that around with my break cue in a one piece case. Can't actually remember the last time my break cue was unscrewed. That being said, the joint protectors are in my case at all times, and all the other cues I have laying around my home have them attached.

BankT8Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anoher reason to having joint protectors.
Dual protection with joint protectors.
Besides protecting your joint and pin, also keeping your
threads clean inside of shaft and protecting shaft.
Have you ever seen what happens after awhile
dropping the pin side down of the butt of the cue
inside of non leather cue case?
It will slowly dig a hole in the bottom of case. This
happened to afew people that I know. So having
joint protectors will also help save your cue case too.
Cheap investment instead of buying another cue case
or having to have your cue fixed.

Mike

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
And yes, they do look cool. Here's a pic of the ones Jim Baxter made..they match my Josey perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 373

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Head on view. I supplied the pennies.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 372

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my Mezz and Exceed cues and shafts comes with joint protectors. I guess there is a reason Mezz feels that cues and shafts should be supplied with JP`s..

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
i love joint protectors.. and use them on all my cues.. but since i been carrying a jb rugged case everyday.. i stopped using them on my everyday cues... i found its just easier and i am confident, the cues arent going to damage the case like they used to many years ago and they dont ever move so there is no worry anything is going to happen to the cues....

chris

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I only use joint caps on the butt... i dont put them on my shafts.

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jp's

thanks for all the comments I also use them on my Madden cue just curious that's all.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fancy ones are like cue jewellry, but Ive seen them save a pin...

Resetting a pin is no fun, so Id like to keep it original. I have JPs on everything.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
They are one of those things that may not seem important to some until you see a bent pin from dropping a cue. After you see that you'll understand they're invaluable