Buying a Cue, I need specific advice - Please help

bstroud

Deceased
Try an older schon. They hit really hard.
Don't bother with a JW. They are designed to hit soft.
I hate the hard sound.

Tips do make a big difference.

Bill S.

BumperNets

www.BumperNets.com
Do you live in an area where there is a good cue dealer who can let you hit some cues? Before I paid $1k for a cue, I would want to feel how it hit. In my line of work, I have gotten to hit with a LOT of different brands of cues. I have hit balls with $5k cues that I hated, and $300 cues that felt great. I personally play with an older production Pechauer that is about $700, but I would hesitate to tell you one cue plays exactly like another. Put your hands on some cues.

Anton_Bzh3

shurikencues@gmail.com
Silver Member
Check Willie Blade. We are going to drop a new model soon, here it is on the photo. The price is $600, custom specs

square-butt-info-sm.jpg

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you live in an area where there is a good cue dealer who can let you hit some cues? Before I paid $1k for a cue, I would want to feel how it hit. In my line of work, I have gotten to hit with a LOT of different brands of cues. I have hit balls with $5k cues that I hated, and $300 cues that felt great. I personally play with an older production Pechauer that is about $700, but I would hesitate to tell you one cue plays exactly like another. Put your hands on some cues.
Terry One Shot? Is that you???

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I have been lucky enough to meet a few good folks at my local pool hall and one happened to collect cues form different builders. I have and an opportunity to play with may different builders now, and have started collecting myself. Scruggs was on my list as well and I picked one up last spring for $1500. 4 point ebony with 4 veneers, no inlays, 2 shafts. It is a pre 90s logo. I considered it a bargain.

Scruggs cues have a very distinctive hit, and that "Pingy" noise. He seems to have been able to duplicate the hit consistently, which is another reason people feel like they can buy a Scruggs cue, and not worry. Most of the Hit comes from a SS joint, the Ivory ferrule, and the triangle tip. I changed one tip on one shaft to a medium layered, and it changed the feel and sound considerably. so if you do get a Scruggs, and love that hit and sound, stay with the triangle tips from experience.

There are some great cue makers in Florida. talk to them, tell them your budget, and see if someone can do something for you. Andy Gilbert is an amazing cuemaker and all round good guy. I have had the pleasure of chatting with him, and playing with a few of his cues. I am sure if you tell him what you are looking for, he could help build you something you like.

good luck.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my Pechauer Pro H sneaky, (wine stained), from y'all in 2010. I still play mostly with it, incredible cue!