Shaft color

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is going to sound funny but a friend of mine wants to know if I can either stain or dye his pool cue shaft black. Has anyone ever attempted this. If so what is the best way to go about it. Thanks

PoppaSaun

Banned
I know this is going to sound funny but a friend of mine wants to know if I can either stain or dye his pool cue shaft black. Has anyone ever attempted this. If so what is the best way to go about it. Thanks

Sharpie. You're welcome.*

*I do not endorse most advice I give.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I guess people are dumber on the east coast, I've done one. Customer wanted one of my purpleheart break shafts black. Multiple coats of a product called Nite-Shades, designed to be used on taillights. I would suggest rattle can Krylon though.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One has already mentioned the correct dye. But unless your customer plays with a glove or open bridge I would talk him out of it as you need to clear coat the shaft just like the butt after dying it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was going to do this, and might give it a try with an old shaft, I would use "India Ink"

You can get it at Walmart cheap;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Speedball-2-oz-India-Ink/23480645

I built an extension for my cue out of ash and stained it black with this an it came out perfect/jet black. I did put a clear coat on it, but I think it would be fine on a shaft without any coating.

Without a clear coat, do you think the ink would "bleed" if you had sweaty hands?

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are Schmelke break cues on Billiardwarehouse.com with colored shafts.

Attachments

• schmel4.jpg
    schmel4.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 371

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I am resurrecting this to see if anyone has tried any of the suggestions, succeeded, failed, or has any new ones.

Guy on my team can only see out of one eye and his game has been deteriorating. He got a CF shaft this year and his game has dramatically improved. He says the black shaft helps him focus on the aim better. Hey whatever works.

He wants me to make his original shaft black, I do not know what shaft it is yet. I will see it tonight at league, but in his words it is a "multilaminated low deflection something or other" I figured stain, but was worried about it coming off as stated above and I don't think paint would be good because you would lose the wood feel.

Zerksies

I am resurrecting this to see if anyone has tried any of the suggestions, succeeded, failed, or has any new ones.

Guy on my team can only see out of one eye and his game has been deteriorating. He got a CF shaft this year and his game has dramatically improved. He says the black shaft helps him focus on the aim better. Hey whatever works.

He wants me to make his original shaft black, I do not know what shaft it is yet. I will see it tonight at league, but in his words it is a "multilaminated low deflection something or other" I figured stain, but was worried about it coming off as stated above and I don't think paint would be good because you would lose the wood feel.
To me sounds like someone’s a cheap ass. And wants the carbon fiber look but without the price 🤣

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Yeah, but still sounds cheap
I shouldn't respond to this nonsense, but oh well... thanks. I'll let him know he should stop being cheap and just get rid of his perfectly good shaft and go spend $500 on a spare shaft instead. If he was cheap, he never would have dropped the cash on the first CF shaft.

I've said this to you before, give an opinion that actually has value. This is "Ask the Cuemaker" which implies getting answers, not trolling dribble. He is a customer and a friend. I would rather help him than insult him.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most wood shafts have been sealed to keep out exterior moisture. Your stain is basically just that - external moisture. So you would need to sand the entire shaft down to wood first. This should help you get a consistent stain the full length of the cue. Depending on how deep the sealer penetrated the wood, you'll probably need a couple of applications. Then you will need to sand the shaft, lightly, as the stain will raise the grain. Then followup by sealing and finishing the shaft in your normal manner.
HTH
Gary

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Most wood shafts have been sealed to keep out exterior moisture. Your stain is basically just that - external moisture. So you would need to sand the entire shaft down to wood first. This should help you get a consistent stain the full length of the cue. Depending on how deep the sealer penetrated the wood, you'll probably need a couple of applications. Then you will need to sand the shaft, lightly, as the stain will raise the grain. Then followup by sealing and finishing the shaft in your normal manner.
HTH
Gary
Thank you. I will give this a go.

The shaft is a Katana. It will mostly be a spare so he’s not so worried about it wearing off too fast. He said if it does he is fine with reapplying as needed.

I’ll update with results later.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
HTH
Gary
One other thing. Would you recommend a stain or India Ink?