Importance of focus / The 9 ball dice game

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my view there are two types of players: Recreational and serious. One isn't better than the other, they are just different ways of enjoying this game of ours. The problems creep in when someone isn't sure which camp they fit into.

For example, I'll often see someone playing a tournament match while drinking beers and scrolling through their phone. Then they'll bump into me after the match and ask me for pointers or if I give lessons. My response to them is to share a game I made up called "9 ball, the dice game".

9 ball the dice game is played with five 6 sided dice. We take turns rolling them. Scoring is easy, add up the die totals and that is your score for the round. Add it to your cumulative score. We take turns rolling dice until someone reaches 200. So far it sounds like it's all luck and pretty boring, right? Here's where the skill comes in. Before each roll you get to declare an action off of an 'action list'. Each action has a modifier to your roll. Here are your choices:

1. Eat nachos. Modifier: -3
2. Surf your phone. Modifier: -5
3. Drink beer. Modifier: -2
4. Talk to friends. Modifier: -3
5. Watch the sports highlights on TV. Modifier: -4
6. Wait quietly for your next inning. Modifier: 0

Next I ask this player "If we are playing a game of 9 ball dice to 200 points for $200, which action are you going to declare before each roll?" The answer is obviously #6. So why in the world are these players drinking beer, eating food, and talking to buddies and messaging during their tournament matches?!?

Watch Efren, Shane, Filler, Chang, or Alex play. Do you see them on their phones? Drinking beers? Eating nachos? NO! They know they can't afford to give up this edge. So do these players think they are so much better than the world's best they can get away with it? Do they not think it impacts them? Or do they just not want to make the sacrifice?

This is where the recreational players come in. I have no problem if someone plays weekly leagues to get away from the wife and kids for a few hours and throw a few back while hanging out with their friends. Totally fine! Nothing wrong with that! Social pool is awesome and the majority of our players, and if they can have fun and enjoy the game in a social setting that is perfect!

But when these same players spend thousands of dollars on equipment and lessons, do drills, watch videos, and then come to me asking for help with their game because they are trying to get to the next level, then I think they have some decisions to make. I tell them they don't want a lesson from me because I'll tell them "Sit down, shut up, dump out the beer and turn the flipping phone off! There. $100 please!" No one wants that, so let's just agree we aren't a good fit for each other.

I have never posted this before because it seems so obvious that I assumed any serious pool player who's invested years into this game would understand this, yet people keep telling me they appreciate me sharing this and that it helped them focus better at the table. I decided to throw this up on AZB in case this was news to anyone else.

Pool is about focus. You can either give your all or you can play casually. You can't do both.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is about focus. You can either give your all or you can play casually. You can't do both.
hey dt, nice thread
focus is crucial to success.
I'm nowhere near your skill level
but one of my mottos is
"control what you can control"
there are so many shots I'm not hip to
so much knowledge I don't know
and so much wisdom I haven't learned

but I can control my health
physically and
mentally
leading up the shot
give myself a chance to succeed
in the face of challenge

of course, as you mentioned
we all have our own priorities
appreciate you having empathy for different styles
but "focusing" on the type of player that really wants to improve
is a perfect example of your teachings...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The people that play in that area are lucky....to have the Tin Man around,

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great topic. So what about the recreational player that wants to be a better recreational player, without sacrificing the social aspects? I don't think anyone would disagree that complete focus gives you a better chance of performing better, but what about the people who don't want to give up the social aspect of the game, but still want to improve stroke fundamentals?

I can't be positive, but I swear I remember seeing an old tv match from the '80's between Earthquake and Earl. Keith was smoking in between innings, and had a straw colored drink in a rocks glass.

I think everyone is different. As far as alcohol, it can be a huge aid in calming jitters and nerves since it is a depressant. This is why it is against the rules for Olympic archers to take a shot before they shoot. (pun intended)

I could find hundreds of videos of today's players sitting in their chair staring at their phone, it is just today's age of instant information..it permeates all aspects of our lives.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
good question

Great topic. So what about the recreational player that wants to be a better recreational player, without sacrificing the social aspects? I don't think anyone would disagree that complete focus gives you a better chance of performing better, but what about the people who don't want to give up the social aspect of the game, but still want to improve stroke fundamentals?

I can't be positive, but I swear I remember seeing an old tv match from the '80's between Earthquake and Earl. Keith was smoking in between innings, and had a straw colored drink in a rocks glass.

I think everyone is different. As far as alcohol, it can be a huge aid in calming jitters and nerves since it is a depressant. This is why it is against the rules for Olympic archers to take a shot before they shoot. (pun intended)

I could find hundreds of videos of today's players sitting in their chair staring at their phone, it is just today's age of instant information..it permeates all aspects of our lives.

Good question. It's a challenging balance for players that plan to play socially but still want to play high quality. I'm not here to tell anyone what's right for them. I just think it's important to understand the trade offs so they can make the right decision. I believe some players think they can have it both and end up feeling inferior that they can't play well. Maybe if they knew the choice they were making they'd either make a different choice or feel better about the path they were on.

Yes, Keith and many players drink when they play. And many players insist they play better with the right mix. People are welcome to drink as much as they'd like when they play. It seems pretty plain it isn't a net positive when in all of the pro pool I've watched in the last few years I haven't seen a top international player drinking once. But drinkers want to drink and if they feel good about a rationalization of going back 30-50 years when pool was gambling in bowling alleys on speed pills, then I'm not going to try to take away their drug of choice.

As for phones, you are correct, you see many, many players on phones. This is why I made this post. This is a public service announcement telling everyone it is making a negative impact. I've seen some top US players do this, but the funny part is seemed like they only did it in early rounds of regional tournaments against weaker players. When I've seen these same players in the US Open against top ranked pros they suddenly put their phones away and fight for their lives.

Look, I'm not saying that if someone drinks a beer or surfs their phone they suddenly start shooting balls into the rail and hooking themselves repeatedly. I have seen many examples of pro-level players running out sets on bar tables while lit up in one way or another. What I am saying is that pool takes tremendous focus and discipline. For those who devote their life to becoming the best version of themselves on the table there isn't room for anything other than pool.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question. It's a challenging balance for players that plan to play socially but still want to play high quality. I'm not here to tell anyone what's right for them. I just think it's important to understand the trade offs so they can make the right decision. I believe some players think they can have it both and end up feeling inferior that they can't play well. Maybe if they knew the choice they were making they'd either make a different choice or feel better about the path they were on.

Yes, Keith and many players drink when they play. And many players insist they play better with the right mix. People are welcome to drink as much as they'd like when they play. It seems pretty plain it isn't a net positive when in all of the pro pool I've watched in the last few years I haven't seen a top international player drinking once. But drinkers want to drink and if they feel good about a rationalization of going back 30-50 years when pool was gambling in bowling alleys on speed pills, then I'm not going to try to take away their drug of choice.

As for phones, you are correct, you see many, many players on phones. This is why I made this post. This is a public service announcement telling everyone it is making a negative impact. I've seen some top US players do this, but the funny part is seemed like they only did it in early rounds of regional tournaments against weaker players. When I've seen these same players in the US Open against top ranked pros they suddenly put their phones away and fight for their lives.

Look, I'm not saying that if someone drinks a beer or surfs their phone they suddenly start shooting balls into the rail and hooking themselves repeatedly. I have seen many examples of pro-level players running out sets on bar tables while lit up in one way or another. What I am saying is that pool takes tremendous focus and discipline. For those who devote their life to becoming the best version of themselves on the table there isn't room for anything other than pool.

Agreed. A lot of truth here. :thumbsup:

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Focus

Thanks for posting this DJ
I play APA and I tend to be very focused but I can see that my teammates don't like it and would prefer I join in on the frivolity. This doesn't prevent me from missing balls but I am just trying to give myself the best chance to succeed.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I play leagues and this is my approach to them.

I enjoy the game, always looking to improve, but I don't want to give up the opportunity to socialize with my teammates and/or my opponents.

This is how I go about a league night. My skill level being on the high side of average, I usually play my matches somewhere toward the end of the night. I do all my socializing before I play and after I'm finished. I do this to get relaxed before I play. Then, when my named is called I go to the men's room, pee, wash my face, and do a short series of minor stretching. When I come out of the restroom door it's all business from there. When I'm in my match, I do not talk to my teammates, drink alcohol, play with my phone (a lot of times I leave my phone in the car), nor watch television. When possible, I do not sit near my teammates when it's not my turn at the table. I try to get as focused as I can...try to get myself "in the zone". Many times I do not hear a lot of the sounds going on around me, nor am I especially sensitive to movement going on.

Then afterwards....it's time to relax and enjoy the rest of the night with your friends.

So, it IS possible to play your best/serious pool AND socialize, etc. You just have to pick your spots to socialize accordingly and get yourself prepared before you start your match.

Maniac

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues

You can absolutely do both as long as they are done in the appropriate setting. Focus can be turned on and off because, well it's focus.

This is exactly why some people play 30-40 fargo points higher in events than they do in league. And some don't because they give it their all every game, every where. And others because they never turn their phones off.

Your basic point is well taken though.

Last edited:

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I don’t practice with others. They don’t take it seriously enough and just want to “bang” balls and I can’t keep a high level of focus. My focus/concentration is at its highest in tournaments/matches but when I practice by myself I can reach a high level of focus as well.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my view there are two types of players: Recreational and serious. One isn't better than the other, they are just different ways of enjoying this game of ours. The problems creep in when someone isn't sure which camp they fit into.

For example, I'll often see someone playing a tournament match while drinking beers and scrolling through their phone. Then they'll bump into me after the match and ask me for pointers or if I give lessons. My response to them is to share a game I made up called "9 ball, the dice game".

9 ball the dice game is played with five 6 sided dice. We take turns rolling them. Scoring is easy, add up the die totals and that is your score for the round. Add it to your cumulative score. We take turns rolling dice until someone reaches 200. So far it sounds like it's all luck and pretty boring, right? Here's where the skill comes in. Before each roll you get to declare an action off of an 'action list'. Each action has a modifier to your roll. Here are your choices:

1. Eat nachos. Modifier: -3
2. Surf your phone. Modifier: -5
3. Drink beer. Modifier: -2
4. Talk to friends. Modifier: -3
5. Watch the sports highlights on TV. Modifier: -4
6. Wait quietly for your next inning. Modifier: 0

Next I ask this player "If we are playing a game of 9 ball dice to 200 points for $200, which action are you going to declare before each roll?" The answer is obviously #6. So why in the world are these players drinking beer, eating food, and talking to buddies and messaging during their tournament matches?!?

Watch Efren, Shane, Filler, Chang, or Alex play. Do you see them on their phones? Drinking beers? Eating nachos? NO! They know they can't afford to give up this edge. So do these players think they are so much better than the world's best they can get away with it? Do they not think it impacts them? Or do they just not want to make the sacrifice?

This is where the recreational players come in. I have no problem if someone plays weekly leagues to get away from the wife and kids for a few hours and throw a few back while hanging out with their friends. Totally fine! Nothing wrong with that! Social pool is awesome and the majority of our players, and if they can have fun and enjoy the game in a social setting that is perfect!

But when these same players spend thousands of dollars on equipment and lessons, do drills, watch videos, and then come to me asking for help with their game because they are trying to get to the next level, then I think they have some decisions to make. I tell them they don't want a lesson from me because I'll tell them "Sit down, shut up, dump out the beer and turn the flipping phone off! There. $100 please!" No one wants that, so let's just agree we aren't a good fit for each other.

I have never posted this before because it seems so obvious that I assumed any serious pool player who's invested years into this game would understand this, yet people keep telling me they appreciate me sharing this and that it helped them focus better at the table. I decided to throw this up on AZB in case this was news to anyone else.

Call me casual now i guess. I like my nachos-n-beer. ;)

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like having a couple of beers before a match, it calms me down and helps me focus. I won't drink in excess, just a couple, if that;s a crutch so be it!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great thread!

I do have to share this though....

Last year (I think) at the SBE in Philly I was watching Shane and Shaw play a match. Each player, after leaving the table and sitting down, had a habit of looking at their phone and messaging someone. It was funny because I told my buddy they were probably sending messages to each other. Neither player looked happy to be there.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post Tin Man. I think it's important to have a solid PSR. So no matter what your focus is before getting down on the shot, you will be able to apply the same focus for each shot according to your pre shot routine. I think it's why top players as mentioned before can be less focused fidgeting with their phone or other things and then get back to being focused. They have trained themselves to have great focus when addressing the table. But, I can see where maintaining focus for us mere mortals might be easier if we stay in the moment.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
focus

Some good replies.

I like Maniac's approach to leagues. Socialize when you're not playing, focus when you are playing.

As for players that want to enjoy a beer or two, that's fine. No problem with me. And yes, of course it is possible to play casually in one situation, then seriously in another. Just understand there is a price to pay for distractions. Whether you are willing to pay that price, how often, and when, is up to each of you. But there is a price.

I agree that a Preshot routine is critical, but you simply can't allow yourself to be distracted in between innings and then expect that you can regroup to the same level of focus as you could if you meditated on the game while in your chair. Focus works more like letting your eyes adjust to dim light. You wouldn't want to run outside in the bright sun in between innings and then come back to a dim table. Of course we could debate this too, because if a life threatening situation arose we'd all focus pretty darn quick. I'm not looking to nit-pick technicalities here. In general dead stroke is a form of self-hypnosis, we allow ourselves to fall into a trance, and it behooves us not to take that state of mind lightly.

The main point is to reach players that weren't aware at the cost of their decisions who will be inspired to change their behavior with an improved understanding of how it will help them achieve their goals. I just had a student text me after winning a tournament match last week "Thanks brother. I've been playing the dice game mentally. Drinking water and soda. No phones allowed during the match. It took a few to get used to but it really helps me focus." It made an impact to him so I thought I'd share with the group.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's another testimonial to the power of concentration. And a heck of a fun blog to follow. Right now it's the top blog on "The power of concentration".

https://poolgrimage.blogspot.com/

One thing he talks about is a questions I posed: When are you actually shooting pool?

Obviously you are shooting pool if you are in the process of hitting the cue ball with your cue. What about during your practice strokes? Of course you're playing pool. What about when you're walking around the table looking at where you want to land on the next ball. Yup, still playing pool. But if you are playing pool even when you're not in the act of shooting, how far can that premise continue?

What about in your chair waiting for your next shot? Most would say yes, you're still playing. What about during a bathroom break? Are you still playing a match? What about after your match is done when you have a 30 minute break before you play another match? What about that night at the hotel when you play first thing in the morning?

Part of this is humor, I look at my life as "I am always playing pool, I am just raising kids and working in between tournaments". But clearly the things we do between shots matter, and the things we do between matches matter, what we eat, how much sleep we get, etc. It's a good reminder that anything that impacts your performance is part of playing good pool, and there is much more to it than trying hard when it's your turn at the table. The more you put in the more you get out.