Tip Recommendation

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey All,

So here is it, my Ginacue will be done VERY soon (can't wait - I'm so excited). I know Ernie puts on Moori Medium tips BUT here is where I need you all:

I have a soft yet smooth stroke, and use a lot of english to move the ball around. I also RARELY hit a ball hard, unless I don't have a choice. I'm also the type that will pay for QUALITY (in this case it has to both be high quality AND work with my style of play but most importantly BE CONSISTENT). I've read the Kamui site describing the different tips (not the new Black ones), but there really is no guidelines about which tips would work the best for every player.

So the question becomes this - What tip should I go with? Moori Med? Kamui (regular line Med Soft or Soft- seemed to match up well)? Kamui Black (NO CLUE HERE cause there was no info available)?

So I'm here at the Moori/Kamui crossroads..... I don't want to have to buy some of each and keep having my cues re-tipped at $10 a pop till I find a tip that works with me. I would much rather have a good starting point and only have to make minor adjustments to the rest of my equipment for consistency of reaction off the tip at least.

Lets face it..... we all play for fun and have fun while we play, but if equipment can be dialed in just a little more, we would all play better..... Or at least would be working in harmony with our cues.

Thanks, and am looking forward to hearing your feedback.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
if you are crying about the tip on a gina....

you are worrying about the wrong end of the cue....

it's operator error at that point..

just sayin....

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry guy.... ya missed what I was saying. I'm more after the difference between the tips - Super Soft, Soft, Med, Med Hard, Hard, and Extra Hard. Which ones are best suited for someone with soft speed and a lot of english on the ball. Not crying about the tips used on a Gina.... come on now.

if you are crying about the tip on a gina....

you are worrying about the wrong end of the cue....

it's operator error at that point..

just sayin....

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the pros are useing hard and extra hard tips, I have a cue that I have Hard tips on, but that's also a cue I played with a bit and was trying some different tips out on. My better cues, those are the ones I play with and would like to be able to get the fine and fines english with and do it w/o much effort (I'm only going to assume that the tip plays a fair to good part of that).

I personally use Hard hard hard tips and I would recommend nothing else.

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
well you have to think about other things too, if your fundamentals arent sound then i wouldnt suggest an extra hard tip you will miscue ALOT, it also depends on how good your stroke really is it doesnt matter how hard you hit if you have a really good stroke you can get away with a med tip, johnny archer uses a triangle wich is a harder tip wich i used for 5 years and loved, scott frost uses a moori med wich alot of my local top players i know also use, i recently switched to moori hard and am learning that with a moori it will harden more after a couple months so you will have to keep fine tuning it until it finally sets, all in all i would recomend triangle or med moori but thats just my opinion

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Hey All,

So here is it, my Ginacue will be done VERY soon (can't wait - I'm so excited). I know Ernie puts on Moori Medium tips BUT here is where I need you all:

I have a soft yet smooth stroke, and use a lot of english to move the ball around. I also RARELY hit a ball hard, unless I don't have a choice. I'm also the type that will pay for QUALITY (in this case it has to both be high quality AND work with my style of play but most importantly BE CONSISTENT). I've read the Kamui site describing the different tips (not the new Black ones), but there really is no guidelines about which tips would work the best for every player.

So the question becomes this - What tip should I go with? Moori Med? Kamui (regular line Med Soft or Soft- seemed to match up well)? Kamui Black (NO CLUE HERE cause there was no info available)?

So I'm here at the Moori/Kamui crossroads..... I don't want to have to buy some of each and keep having my cues re-tipped at $10 a pop till I find a tip that works with me. I would much rather have a good starting point and only have to make minor adjustments to the rest of my equipment for consistency of reaction off the tip at least.

Lets face it..... we all play for fun and have fun while we play, but if equipment can be dialed in just a little more, we would all play better..... Or at least would be working in harmony with our cues.

Thanks, and am looking forward to hearing your feedback.

You want a Sniper. Just keep going a bit past Ernie's place till you end up in Burbank, then go to Tiger and have a Sniper installed. Try it before you buy it :wink:

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i play the same kinda game you do. i have a soft smooth stroke and english the ball around. i used to use triangles, but have recently, in the past few years switched over to a medium tip and find it works better for me for this style of play.

i've tried about everything under the sun; kamui, sniper, everest, milk dude, hercules, talisman, etc... as far as the ones your asking about, the kamui medium felt like a brick and constantly miscued, i've also tried sniper and it seemed to glaze over easily. i finally settled down on everest and they work really well for me.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask 100 different players what tip they like and you'll get 100 different answers. It's that subjective. I've tried a bunch but I keep coming back to a Moori. Played with mediums but my McDermott I-3 shaft came with a Moori soft and it really fits my style of play (which, by the way, is similiar to yours). So, if I were you, I'd go with Ernie's choice and have him install the Moori medium .

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I know the pros are useing hard and extra hard tips, I have a cue that I have Hard tips on, but that's also a cue I played with a bit and was trying some different tips out on. My better cues, those are the ones I play with and would like to be able to get the fine and fines english with and do it w/o much effort (I'm only going to assume that the tip plays a fair to good part of that).

they do i did not know that?

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
You are looking in the wrong place for the answer. Call Ernie. Talk to him. He in the maker. He installs the tip. Tell him how you shoot and go with his recommendation. :shrug:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put a triangle on. Many of the pros are using them but can't say. For obvious reasons.
It's a very consistent tip. Give it a try. You might fall in love. I did..............

tingen

Registered
Sorry guy.... ya missed what I was saying. I'm more after the difference between the tips - Super Soft, Soft, Med, Med Hard, Hard, and Extra Hard. Which ones are best suited for someone with soft speed and a lot of english on the ball. Not crying about the tips used on a Gina.... come on now.

Soft or super soft. Asuming you are playing with pocket speed and as you say you play with a lot of english.

Personally I droped Moori for Kamui tips.
Also played with everest, but I like Kamui better. Currently playing with Kamui black Soft(same as normal kamui medium soft).

Kamui black > Everest/kamui > Moori for me :wink:

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all for the input so far.

Hope you all had a great XMass.

So far I have these as a general consensus:
Moori Med
Kamui Black Soft/Super Soft
Everest Tips
Triangle Tips (with mixed feelings)

I played tonight and hit with a friends cue that uses Kamui SS tips and liked the reaction I got on a few bank shots.

I usually play pocket speed on most shots with a smooth stroke. Never cared for the more firm shots cause the harder I hit the ball the less consistent I become. My game is based more on accuracy, ball speed, and english to move the cue ball. I'm much better suited for 8 Ball, and 14:1 over 9 Ball.

Yakuza

Melons
Silver Member
In my opinion, I feel you should try to hit with the tip that Ernie would install for you to see as to whether you like the hit that you are expecting. I feel by doing so, you would be more clear as to what to look for should you find the moori medium tip unsuitable for your play.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you should try on different tips and see which you'd like best, everyone has different feel for tips, as shown on this thread most like hard tips, however I myself love soft tips, due to the fact I like the stroke to sound softer and not like hard tips, if u stroke soft, it'll still make a huge sound. Cause before I started playing pool, I played snooker and that time, the only good tips I can buy are soft ones. So yeah I'm pretty much used to it. =)