Alternative to keeping score with coins under the rails

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that placing coins under the rails and moving them to the next diamond to keep track of games is a popular way to keep score when bead counters or built in table counters aren't available. However, I dislike seeing coins lodged between the table bed and rails and often the coins are a pain in the butt to dislodge. On top of that, I don't usually carry coins on me in the first place. I've found a simple, convenient, and cost effective alternative to keeping track of games won that I'd like to share with you all.

Go to your local crafts store (Michaels, JoAnn, etc.) and look for a "Knitting Row Counter" in the section of the store that sells needle point/crocheting items. The "Row Counter" will probably cost you less than $1.50 and is perfect for keeping track of sets to 10 or less games.

Here is an example of what a Row Counters look like:

x800%20x%20508%20RC%20800146-LARG.jpg

The larger row counter in the picture above is probably the size of 10 stacked pennies, which makes it pretty convenient to keep in your cue case.

Hopefully someone will find this information useful.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Cheap, easy solution :)

If you are looking for a way to keep score on your iPhone, iPod or Apple Watch you should take a look at my app http://www.countandscore.com . You can score games by yourself, with others or just keep track of run-outs, or anything else with history tracking, goals, shake to add and a bunch of other stuff. It's .99

b

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know that placing coins under the rails and moving them to the next diamond to keep track of games is a popular way to keep score when bead counters or built in table counters aren't available. However, I dislike seeing coins lodged between the table bed and rails and often the coins are a pain in the butt to dislodge. On top of that, I don't usually carry coins on me in the first place. I've found a simple, convenient, and cost effective alternative to keeping track of games won that I'd like to share with you all.

Go to your local crafts store (Michaels, JoAnn, etc.) and look for a "Knitting Row Counter" in the section of the store that sells needle point/crocheting items. The "Row Counter" will probably cost you less than $1.50 and is perfect for keeping track of sets to 10 or less games.

Here is an example of what a Row Counters look like:

x800%20x%20508%20RC%20800146-LARG.jpg

The larger row counter in the picture above is probably the size of 10 stacked pennies, which makes it pretty convenient to keep in your cue case.

Hopefully someone will find this information useful.
And apparently "it" will keep track of sets to 100 or less for $3.00.

Freddie <~~~ investment genius

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like those, nice idea! Also great for straight pool if there are no beads or in-table counter.

The only question is... how do you know so much about knitting?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I like those, nice idea! Also great for straight pool if there are no beads or in-table counter.

The only question is... how do you know so much about knitting?

My wife knits and crochets, but she counts in her head. She would call me a banger if I used one of these...

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a knit row app on the app store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I would just buy a handful and leave them at my local pool hall. The owner would probably give me a couple free drinks to say thank you!!!

At $1.50 a piece your fellow pool players would thank you. Much better solution then using up cell phone battery and risking theft or damage to the phone. Break the $1.50 counter no problem. Lose my contacts and damage the phone or it get stolen is a "MUCH" bigger problem.

All room owners should put a box of these behind the counter for their customers in my opinion.

KD

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would just buy a handful and leave them at my local pool hall. The owner would probably give me a couple free drinks to say thank you!!!

At $1.50 a piece your fellow pool players would thank you. Much better solution then using up cell phone battery and risking theft or damage to the phone. Break the $1.50 counter no problem. Lose my contacts and damage the phone or it get stolen is a "MUCH" bigger problem.

All room owners should put a box of these behind the counter for their customers in my opinion.

KD

You can also keep track of how many drinks you downed during the with those, so even for the non-players they are still handy :thumbup:

Or for other things. Just don't let your current girlfriend/boyfriend find these next to the bed and ask what this "31" on the counter means :grin:

I'm going to get a few and use them to keep track of how many times a week my kids say they will do something that is not actually done when I get home from work.

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Just use a Credit Card to get the coins out....

...and if the rails are not tight to the bed, use a nickel.. Won't go under normally.. :)

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I like this for straight pool only. Playing ten ball or one pocket I want to see the score easily without walking to change the counter.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
pen and paper.
cell phone.
memory.
coins under rail has always worked. no need to reinvent the wheel.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
pen and paper.
cell phone.
memory.

Pennies for me or pen and paper works just fine. Now with that being said I have to buy these. I like colorful things to carry in my case. Makes me feel better to have lots of stuff.

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no real need to jam a coin under the rail. Due to the rail profile, a coin can be sticking out from under the rails good bit and still not make contact with the ball.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
pen and paper.
cell phone.
memory.

He made it clear that this might not be for everyone so not quite sure why the knock. Personally I am happy to see someone posting a new and unique idea that hasn't been seen before and will actually be helpful to some people (straight pool players, those that don't like using coins, etc). IMO it is a nice break from all the worthless content and the same old stuff that has been re-hashed and reposted every two months for years. Kudos to the OP for an original idea that some will find cost effective and useful. Wish we saw more of this. :thumbup2: