cnc

cuebuyer4u

Gamble Cues
Silver Member
Anyone care to give some input on this machine?
http://deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

I like half splice cues im not intrested in inlaying points, Im only looking to do smal inlays such as diamonds and make ring bilets on it so the work envelope is plenty big enough. im mainly intrested in quality, runout, repeatability and durability.

Thanks in advance

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My screen didn't refresh to see the link ... Comment withdrawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many cuemakers have used the Taig-based cnc machines over the years for making short-spliced forearms, billets and inlays.
I'm running low on space in my shop and sent you a PM about mine. To do short-spliced points, one needs the mill with the extended travel.
Just like any machine, you have to dial it in for accuracy. Very few machines run perfectly out of the gate. Backlash can be adjusted both with the computer and mechanically via the gibs and anti-backlash nuts. I've only use the upgraded ER spindle, and runout is acceptable, as is the repeatability. As far as durability, they're pretty stout and can cut in mild steel. Plenty rigid enough for cutting wood.

cuebuyer4u

Gamble Cues
Silver Member
Many cuemakers have used the Taig-based cnc machines over the years for making short-spliced forearms, billets and inlays.
I'm running low on space in my shop and sent you a PM about mine. To do short-spliced points, one needs the mill with the extended travel.
Just like any machine, you have to dial it in for accuracy. Very few machines run perfectly out of the gate. Backlash can be adjusted both with the computer and mechanically via the gibs and anti-backlash nuts. I've only use the upgraded ER spindle, and runout is acceptable, as is the repeatability. As far as durability, they're pretty stout and can cut in mild steel. Plenty rigid enough for cutting wood.

send me pics and price I can start buying again at the end of the week :thumbup:

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
send me pics and price I can start buying again at the end of the week :thumbup:

Well its a taig mill with a gecko 540 control. What else you need to know. I would want an extended bed set up and a 4 axis. I would try to set it up like Briana had when they were selling it.

cuebuyer4u

Gamble Cues
Silver Member
Well its a taig mill with a gecko 540 control. What else you need to know. I would want an extended bed set up and a 4 axis. I would try to set it up like Briana had when they were selling it.

Mainly peoples personal opinions.

I know you sold your shop but did you get a new one? are you still building?

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone care to give some input on this machine?
http://deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

I like half splice cues im not intrested in inlaying points, Im only looking to do smal inlays such as diamonds and make ring bilets on it so the work envelope is plenty big enough. im mainly intrested in quality, runout, repeatability and durability.

Thanks in advance

Yes, this CNC will work for cue building. It is actually the first one I purchased. At that time I had to build my own control box as Gecko had not come out with the G540 4 axes controller yet. I used an older setup. I did not get rid of the machine, instead shipped it to a friend that still uses it for prototype work. It is a great CNC machine to learn on and get your feet wet. Many people skip this step and dive into an expensive machine at their cost. With this machine and some modifications you can do some nice inlay work. It will also cut structural points though I think that is the wrong spindle for that kind of work.

If you check out deepgroove's auctions will will notice some mounting brackets for 65 and 80mm spindles. The 80mm Chinese spindle works great for points. They now sell it without water cooling at a reasonable price. And the ER20 collet will hold a 1/2" shank running up to 24,000 rpm.

The downside of the Taig is its travel and its leadscrew setup. The largest Taig, the one you should get, will only have a 12" travel in the X or long direction. This means you will need to move the cue around if you want to inlay the entire cue. The leadscrews come with their standard brass lead nuts and will have some backlash. They will also wear over time and will need to be adjusted or replaced.

Again, this is a great starting machine. If you decide that you like CNC work and you want something better, you have learn what you want in a machine. Also the resell value it quite good on those machines.

good luck, Jim.

cuebuyer4u

Gamble Cues
Silver Member
Thanks Jim

The small work envelope really doesnt matter to me as I only plan to inlay ring work,buttsleeves and the occasional diamond in a halfsplice or something similar.

Thanks for the input im going to buy this machine hopefully next week.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
For a lot less you can get a 4 axis cnc machine on eBay.
It will do everything you have said you want to do.

I bought a three axis machine for doing pens and small inlays in cues and it works just fine.