Five Stars for Tin Man's MNPoolBootCamp

MakeTheSix

Registered
Last week I spent three days with Demetrius at his boot camp. I am a C+/B- type player in the 530 Fargo range who has been playing pool on and off for 30+ years. I have been working hard on my game, but my improvement has been slow and I wanted to find a faster track. I recommend anyone at an intermediate to advanced level who is looking to improve his or her game take a look at giving MNPoolBootCamp some consideration. The whole experience is a blast. Here is a short review.

We started by playing a couple friendly sets of 9 ball. Demetrius was able to immediately find some areas of my game that needed help. Within the first couple hours I learned that I'd been working way too hard with my cue ball. My choices for spin/English were often wrong. Demetrius showed me easier and more effective ways to move into position. My game was literally changed before we hit lunch on the first day.

The more we worked the more my game revealed itself. We traded off between pattern play and cue ball control, often mixing in some different games to keep things fresh. When Demetrius demonstrated his shots he always talked about what his plan was and why, and where he was striking the cue ball. That really resonated with me and I announce my shots (in my head, of course) while I practice now.

It was awesome to try and get into the head of a professional player. Demetrius takes every single shot seriously and he is a stickler for precision in his angles and patterns.

We spent well over 24 hours during the three days on the table alone, and easily over 30 total when including analyzing pool videos and talking about goals and mental game. The 3 day format was really effective for me because a lot of what we worked on became more clear as time went on, and Demetrius was able to zone in on what I understood and what I needed more help with. Sometimes I was on information overload, but I got a binder and notebook thoroughly describing all of the concepts and loaded with drills (homework) tailored to my game. I have been home and practicing for five days and I am already able to recognize and implement what I have learned into different situations and layouts. Thanks Tin Man!

Regards, Ross

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Uh oh not another one!! I’m already jealous enough bro ��

Seriously though that’s sounds awesome. I’ve been planning for a vacation for a while now. Either DCC, or somewhere European, or a boar hunt. But the more I hear about this pool boot camp and think about it the more it seems the perfect vacation destination.

heisenbug

Registered

Seriously though that’s sounds awesome. I’ve been planning for a vacation for a while now. Either DCC, or somewhere European, or a boar hunt. But the more I hear about this pool boot camp and think about it the more it seems the perfect vacation destination.

It is a really cool camp. I really enjoyed it. I not only haven't heard anyone say any bad things about it, but I also haven't heard anyone say "Meh, it was ok" either. Everyone that I know that went was pretty thrilled about going, and got a ton out of it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing your story. Tin Man is a fountain of knowledge and has a true passion for the game. Stay the course!

MakeTheSix

Registered

It was a vacation for me. Even after the traveling I was energized.

MakeTheSix

Registered
Thanks for sharing your story. Tin Man is a fountain of knowledge and has a true passion for the game. Stay the course!

You’re Welcome. Tin Man definitely has passion—after running the cue ball three rails and sticking it on a dime he giggles like it was the first time he’s ever done it. Fun to watch!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
MakeTheSix, thank you for the glowing review and for coming out to Minnesota to train pool. It was a true pleasure. I remember how hard we worked the first day, we were on the table before 10AM and I don't think we wrapped up until after 11. We were just staring at each other in amazement of what we accomplished and in disbelief that we were just starting to hit stride!

Jazzy and others that may be interested: Take the leap. I am a 'soft sell' kind of guy but I am not doing anyone any favors by letting them miss out on a life changing pool experience. Here's the thing. I knew when I started this wasn't going to be a mediocre lesson where you learn a new shot and a different way to chalk your cue. I knew what I could do. But I underestimated it.

Look at it this way. Suppose there was a player that hung out at bars and played with house cues and miscued the cue ball to jump. How much do you think they could learn from you in three days? How long would it take them playing in their local bar to figure out what you could show them?

Well, in the time I've been doing this I have learned that with players < 640 FR or so I can do exactly that. On the surface these are knowledgeable and capable run out players. Players that have played 20-30 or more years. Players that have read books, watched videos, taken lessons, and posted on the forum. Players that think they have the knowledge but just lack in their consistency and fundamentals and talent. And yet, when I work with them I see again and again and again there are levels of this game they didn't know about. A few of them are monumentally important, and I can pull multiple big levers that immediately shift their game. A lot of them are small things that add up very, very quickly. Those things would never come up in a 'lesson' but over the course of 3 days my students get to learn nuances that cumulatively lead to a totally different understanding of how the game works.

Some people may not care to play pool, others might think they have seen all there is to see or that it can't be shared, but for those who are open to a mind blowing transformation I will throw down the gauntlet and say I can guarantee you will never see the pool table the same way after we're done working together. It will look like a different game when I'm done with you. One that you play good!

PS- Makethesix, me giggling after landing the rock on a dime, that is hysterical. Sounds just like me. I love this game!

Last edited: