Will Stan's book be the "end all"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a recent thread, Spidey reported on Stan's progress with "the book". Nobody seems to know when it will be finally released, but according to Stan, it's progressing.

I'm wondering if the book will really be enlightening to those like me that don't understand much after two DVDs and quite a few videos. Some reported that they understood CTE concepts either much better or only after following the blog on billiardsthegame.com.

Does a subject like this require multiple contributors to be effective?

Would a book like this benefit from multiple editors and or reviewers reporting back what causes them to struggle? CTE advocates sometimes point out that CTE doesn't have the gaps that some other methods have, but there are apparently gaps in explaining the methods.

Doesn't it seem like the best way to test the effectiveness of a text would be to get early feedback from some students that know little or nothing beforehand?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
In a recent thread, Spidey reported on Stan's progress with "the book". Nobody seems to know when it will be finally released, but according to Stan, it's progressing.

I'm wondering if the book will really be enlightening to those like me that don't understand much after two DVDs and quite a few videos. Some reported that they understood CTE concepts either much better or only after following the blog on billiardsthegame.com.

Would a book like this benefit from multiple editors and or reviewers reporting back what causes them to struggle? CTE advocates sometimes point out that CTE doesn't have the gaps that some other methods have, but there are apparently gaps in explaining the methods.

Doesn't it seem like the best way to test the effectiveness of a text would be to get early feedback from some students that know little or nothing beforehand?

I don't think the purpose of the book is to teach cte to those who have never understood it. I believe it's more of a legacy, a written record of Stan's work, his advancements on Hal's work, etc...

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the purpose of the book is to teach cte to those who have never understood it. I believe it's more of a legacy, a written record of Stan's work, his advancements on Hal's work, etc...

THINK? lol The book will be a complete teaching of CTE. The book and The Truth Series on youtube go hand in hand. If you don't get CTE from that then guess what. Just give up, Everything will be there.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
THINK? lol The book will be a complete teaching of CTE. The book and The Truth Series on youtube go hand in hand. If you don't get CTE from that then guess what. Just give up, Everything will be there.

Stan specifically stated here that he didn't care if he sold a single book. He wants it to be a legacy of his journey with CTE. I didn't mean the book was not meant to try and teach CTE, only that that probably isn't his primary purpose for writing it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Stan specifically stated here that he didn't care if he sold a single book. He wants it to be a legacy of his journey with CTE. I didn't mean the book was not meant to try and teach CTE, only that that probably isn't his primary purpose for writing it.

You don't know a damn thing about Stan, what his motivations are, what drives him, and where he wants to end up with all of this.

So why don't you stay OUT with all of your ill gotten theories regarding what HE is trying to accomplish and worry about YOUR own fractional method for pool players.

You have a lot of unfinished work with Poolology that could be restructured and made better. There isn't a product or service available to consumers that rests on it's laurels and doesn't seek improvements with time. I don't care what it is.

And if you think it's already perfect, you aren't doing your job. Focus on YOU.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Who are you and what's with you? It took Mark Wilson 25 years to put everything together to do his book the way he wanted to present all the information. I'm sure he looks back in retrospect and wishes the said and did some things differently or could add an addendum.

Have YOU ever taken on a project of large magnitude such as what Stan is doing?
Stan was quite explicit in the progress of the book as I posted. He would like to have it all complete and given to the publisher at the beginning of August.

But if he doesn't, SO WHAT? He's working on HIS SCHEDULE, not yours or anyone else.

You know there IS LIFE outside of a book project and he's given up much of it over the last 3.5 years.

Why are you obsessing about it? Aren't there enough other aiming systems to hold you over? Get into Joe Tucker's contact point aiming; ghost ball; 90/90; Salux; fractions.

If it's been such a problem to learn for you, FORGET IT ALREADY!

Does a subject like this need multiple DETRACTORS crying and whining all the time?

You had your chance and offer. YOU BLEW IT! You couldn't leave Florida, remember?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Legacy, inspired by his passion....very commendable.

"I have with worked with CTE for a decade plus. I have been passionate about every single thing that I have done with CTE. I operate under the principle that If I do what I love doing then success will likely follow. It's worked that way thus far and I see no real reason to change my course. I can order thousands of books and never lose a wink for not taking out a single ad. That's not what I'm about. I am all about making sure that my knowledge is left behind."

Stan Shuffett

(https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5942792&postcount=179

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Legacy, inspired by his passion....very commendable.

Here's what he said in the link you provided:

"I have with worked with CTE for a decade plus. I have been passionate about every single thing that I have done with CTE. I operate under the principle that If I do what I love doing then success will likely follow. It's worked that way thus far and I see no real reason to change my course. I can order thousands of books and never lose a wink for not taking out a single ad. That's not what I'm about. I am all about making sure that my knowledge is left behind.
My free upcoming YouTube videos will log a million views. The info will be that good.
I'm not worried about a single thing. If interested viewers like my videos then they'll love my book info. I don't want anyone getting my book that has any reservations about its contents."

Stan Shuffett

The most important part he posted is the last sentence which applies to this thread started by Saturated Fats and ALL of the past negative posters and ALL of the future negative posters. THIS IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!

I don't want anyone getting my book that has any reservations about its contents.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's what he said in the link you provided:

"I have with worked with CTE for a decade plus. I have been passionate about every single thing that I have done with CTE. I operate under the principle that If I do what I love doing then success will likely follow. It's worked that way thus far and I see no real reason to change my course. I can order thousands of books and never lose a wink for not taking out a single ad. That's not what I'm about. I am all about making sure that my knowledge is left behind.
My free upcoming YouTube videos will log a million views. The info will be that good.
I'm not worried about a single thing. If interested viewers like my videos then they'll love my book info. I don't want anyone getting my book that has any reservations about its contents."

Stan Shuffett

The most important part he posted is the last sentence which applies to this thread started by Saturated Fats and ALL of the past negative posters and ALL of the future negative posters. THIS IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!

I don't want anyone getting my book that has any reservations about its contents.

Exactly. He makes it very clear that his primary focus is to have a written record of his work and knowledge with CTE, not to convert/teach those who haven't gotten it or been able to understand it through his DVDs and numerous YouTube lessons. That doesn't mean the book won't help others learn it.

The OP asked if the book would be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and all the YouTube vids. That's going to be something only he can answer after purchasing the book. Based on Stan's own words, I believe his goal is to simply create a product that reflects his passion and knowledge of CTE, a quality product stemming from years of hard work.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Exactly. He makes it very clear that his primary focus is to have a written record of his work and knowledge with CTE, not to convert/teach those who haven't gotten it or been able to understand it through his DVDs and numerous YouTube lessons. That doesn't mean the book won't help others learn it.

He makes it very clear that he wants to TEACH CTE to pool players in order that they can improve their games and not struggle due to the aiming part of it.

Your interpretation is NOT his motivation and it seems like you just don't want to STFU as you usually do.

Do you have any idea how many in person lessons he's given to pros and amateurs at all levels in his OWN HOME with two different pool tables? Or how many of those he's graciously invited to stay overnight with his family in the same house? How about the telephone hours he's put in with those who called and wanted to learn? Some of those calls weren't even from people who purchased the DVDs.
Do you think all of those FREEBIE youtube videos were done because of his legacy or he likes watching himself on the computer or TV? It was to TEACH!

What the hell does that have to do with a book or legacy? NOTHING! It was to teach and from them/us to learn how to perform CTE. I know because I was ONE of them.

HIS PASSION IS TEACHING CTE! Stan spent over 30 years of his life TEACHING children in classrooms of the SCHOOL SYSTEM. If anybody spends that many years with a number of bratty, unruly, undisciplined kids then the primary motivation is TEACHING. Not a legacy or cushy retirement.

The OP asked if the book would be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and all the YouTube vids. That's going to be something only he can answer after purchasing the book. Based on Stan's own words, I believe his goal is to simply create a product that reflects his passion and knowledge of CTE, a quality product stemming from years of hard work.

Total BULLSHIT! He's doing everything he can do that you're unwilling to do on your own system which is to make it MORE UNDERSTANDABLE, EASIER TO LEARN AND PERFORM TO BECOME BETTER POOL PLAYERS!

One more hypothetical, agitating, pot stirring post from you on this is going to be reported. You're so far off base it's absurd yet you continue!

WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR OWN SYSTEM! IT NEEDS IT!

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir, it might be better for you to study some other form of aiming system if this CTE is that confusing for you. There are a lot of them out there, you know.
I myself am about the slowest person alive when it comes to learning new stuff, but I've become pretty good with it. Not great yet, but close. I figure if simple old me can even get close to being on the mark with this thing, then surely anyone else can do it also.
Stan's planned "Truth Series" won't cost any money...it will be free and you can explore it at will. If you like it, you can then move forward with owning his book.
If you think it's like, as I like to say, "mosconi half-truths", then you can simply dump it and move on. Won't cost you a dime, just a little viewing time.
I've heard that the following major shooters are using the method: Steve Moore, Brandon Shuff, Tyler Styer, Mary Kenniston, and Billy Thorpe. Those are real money players who can rob anyone who posts stuff in this aiming column, in my opinion.
To me, that's very good references. If you know any of them, you might give them an inquiry and see what they have to say about it. It could solve a lot of concerns you may have.
Good wishes to you and stay happy.
Life goes on...:thumbup:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Total BULLSHIT! He's doing everything he can do that you're unwilling to do on your own system which is to make it MORE UNDERSTANDABLE, EASIER TO LEARN AND PERFORM TO BECOME BETTER POOL PLAYERS!

One more hypothetical, agitating, pot stirring post from you on this is going to be reported. You're so far off base it's absurd yet you continue!

The only "agitating" words here are coming from you.
Saying that the op will have to purchase Stan's book to determine whether or not it will be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and 100 YouTube videos is not pot stirring, not hypothetical or agitating. It's reality.

And what you say is the most important part of that old post, where Stan says, "I don't want anyone getting my book that has any reservations about its contents.".......well, that's the same as saying, If you bought both DVDs and watched all the YouTube clips, and still can't understand CTE or have doubts/reservations about it, the book isn't for you.

I don't question Stan's passion for teaching or his dedication to helping pool players reach higher levels of play. I'm not saying anything negative about him. I'm just saying he has made it clear that if he doesn't sell a single book he won't lose any sleep over it. IMO this means he is more concerned about producing a quality product of his work, a legacy to leave behind (much more in depth than Hal Houle's letter), rather than harping on the process of teaching those who might harbor any reservations about CTE.

I will purchase the book because I have a thirst for knowledge, though I'm sure I fall in the category with those whom Stan says he doesn't want to get book. I respect his passion and perseverance, and I think the book will reflect this.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relax, my man, and let these big shot detractors self-destruct. Stick 'em on the "ignore feature". None of them can play worth a flip anyway.(I've done a lot of checking at their home pool rooms).
You'll never in a zillion years get them to keep open minds...it's not in their DNA:smile:
Life goes on.
We can be very thankful that a guy like Stan Shuffett came along to revolutionize this game we enjoy so much.
Stay happy and remember that famous(?) saying by the old crook himself, Wanderone: "I know everything they know and they don't know nothing that I know"
:thumbup:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saying that the op will have to purchase Stan's book to determine whether or not it will be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and 100 YouTube videos is not pot stirring, not hypothetical or agitating. It's reality.

And what you say is the most important part of that old post, where Stan says, "I don't want anyone getting my book that has any reservations about its contents.".......well, that's the same as saying, If you bought both DVDs and watched all the YouTube clips, and still can't understand CTE or have doubts/reservations about it, the book isn't for you.

I don't question Stan's passion for teaching or his dedication to helping pool players reach higher levels of play. I'm not saying anything negative about him. I'm just saying he has made it clear that if he doesn't sell a single book he won't lose any sleep over it. IMO this means he is more concerned about producing a quality product of his work, a legacy to leave behind (much more in depth than Hal Houle's letter), rather than harping on the process of teaching those who might harbor any reservations about CTE.

I will purchase the book because I have a thirst for knowledge, though I'm sure I fall in the category with those whom Stan says he doesn't want to get book. I respect his passion and perseverance, and I think the book will reflect this.

I also have a thirst for knowledge and want to see what Stan's definitive words are on aiming. And frankly, it doesn't matter who Stan wants, or doesn't want, to buy his book. Once he puts it out there, people will get their hands on it and make up their own minds as to the value of the work it contains. He and his followers, as much as they greatly desire the contrary, can't limit its release nor what opinions will be formed.

Besides, after all these years of discussion and all the back and forth, it'll be interesting to see if he finally makes his case for CTE and Pro1. The reader will decide that for themselves, not the author.

Lou Figueroa

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I also have a thirst for knowledge and want to see what Stan's definitive words are on aiming.

Why? You claim not to aim or have any system. Therefore, no aiming system in existence has benefitted you and provided value.

And frankly, it doesn't matter who Stan wants, or doesn't want, to buy his book. Once he puts it out there, people will get their hands on it and make up their own minds as to the value of the work it contains. He and his followers, as much as they greatly desire the contrary, can't limit its release nor what opinions will be formed.

We do know what opinions have already BEEN formed from the past, present, and now the future. It won't change.

Besides, after all these years of discussion and all the back and forth, it'll be interesting to see if he finally makes his case for CTE and Pro1. The reader will decide that for themselves, not the author.

Lou Figueroa

As I stated, a good number of readers have already decided about CTE regardless of what he produces. In your case, it happened 20+ years ago and has never changed. Nothing new is going to matter.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Where did I say the OP would have to purchase Stan's book? PLEASE QUOTE THE POST. That is a total LIE! And you claim not to be agitating things and blame me? You've GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

You have no clue what the history is between the OP and Stan. Yes, there is one and Stan made an offer to him that NO MAN who was truly interested in CTE should refuse. But HE DID!

The TRUTH SERIES Stan is producing at the time of the book distribution will be FREE and go along with the book.

You'll purchase the book? LMAO!

You posted this in the other thread a couple of days ago.

I don't use CTE. Was curious how it worked, how to get a "fixed" cb in order to do the offset pivot.
Mohrt was very helpful, but once I understood the concept I was done with it.

How is THIS supposed to be interpreted?

To me it's very simple. YOU DON'T USE CTE AND YOU'RE DONE WITH IT.

Now suddenly, YOU'RE NOT because of a thirst for knowledge. Where was this "thirst for knowledge" when you were "DONE WITH IT AND NOT USING CTE"?

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Where did I say the OP would have to purchase Stan's book? PLEASE QUOTE THE POST. That is a total LIE!

You'll purchase the book? LMAO!

You posted this in the other thread a couple of days ago.

I don't use CTE. Was curious how it worked, how to get a "fixed" cb in order to do the offset pivot.
Mohrt was very helpful, but once I understood the concept I was done with it.

How is THIS supposed to be interpreted?

To me it's very simple. YOU DON'T USE CTE AND YOU'RE DONE WITH IT.

Now suddenly, YOU'RE NOT because of a thirst for knowledge. Where was this "thirst for knowledge" when you were "DONE WITH IT AND NOT USING CTE"?

:rolleyes:.......lie? I am the one that said the op will have have to purchase the book in order to decide for himself whether or not it will finally provide enlightenment for him. You are the one who came charging in with agitation.

And I meant exactly what I said about being "done with it", but that has nothing to with me wanting to add Stan's book to my library. I know how cte works, but I also know there is more to learn and understand, so I'll buy the book to satisfy my own curiosity.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
:rolleyes:.......lie? I am the one that said the op will have have to purchase the book in order to decide for himself whether or not it will finally provide enlightenment for him. You are the one who came charging in with agitation.

You did? Copy and paste your post showing it to him. Here is your ONLY post to the OP:

"I don't think the purpose of the book is to teach cte to those who have never understood it. I believe it's more of a legacy, a written record of Stan's work, his advancements on Hal's work, etc... "

And I meant exactly what I said about being "done with it", but that has nothing to with me wanting to add Stan's book to my library. I know how cte works,

LMAO! No you don't. Produce a video or a few videos showing exactly how it works for multiple angle cut shots at different lengths. Explain it fully as you go along.

but I also know there is more to learn and understand,

Double talk

so I'll buy the book to satisfy my own curiosity.

So IOW, you're attempting to cover your ass by speaking out of both sides of your mouth or your mouth and another orifice.

YOUR posts can be misinterpreted (as you claim) based on what you said but Stan's post are only INTERPRETED CORRECTLY by you and that's IT. Somebody who doesn't know a damn thing about Stan but makes outrageous claims to agitate me and disrupt this entire thread.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by BC21:

I am the one that said the op will have have to purchase the book in order to decide for himself whether or not it will finally provide enlightenment for him. You are the one who came charging in with agitation.

You did? Copy and paste your post showing it to him.

Post #9, I said "The OP asked if the book would be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and all the YouTube vids. That's going to be something only he can answer after purchasing the book."

You are agitating yourself, and in the process you're disrupting the entire thread. I gave the OP my opinion on his question about Stan's book being the "end all". Please report to the moderator, because your hostility makes it impossible to carry on a civil conversation.

Reactions: JC

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Post #9, I said "The OP asked if the book would be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and all the YouTube vids. That's going to be something only he can answer after purchasing the book."

But you didn't make the post to the OP in #9. You made it to ME.
And maybe the book STILL won't answer it for the OP. How do you know that. The TRUTH SERIES may be better because it goes along with the book and is visual.
The current youtube videos are out of the picture for the future.

Then you posted THIS directly to me:
"Saying that the op will have to purchase Stan's book to determine whether or not it will be more enlightening than the 2 DVDs and 100 YouTube videos is not pot stirring, not hypothetical or agitating. It's reality."

It gave the impression that I made the statement. Again, the TRUTH SERIES videos (ALL NEW TO GO ALONG WITH THE BOOK) may be better for him than the book.

You are agitating yourself, and in the process you're disrupting the entire thread. I gave the OP my opinion on his question about Stan's book being the "end all". Please report to the moderator, because your hostility makes it impossible to carry on a civil conversation.

You don't know enough about the book, what's being done with it, how it's being presented or anything to give advice to the OP or anyone else about it.

You need to focus on the deficiencies of your fraction system and make a new book, not Stan's.

Btw, you were reported a good while back but nothing has been done. Since you feel the way you do about carrying on a civil conversation, BYE-BYE.

There IS NO CIVIL CONVERSATION because you don't know enough about the book or anything else Stan is doing to speak intelligently about it.

But something tells me you'll be back in here like the Energizer Bunny rambling on about something you know nothing about because that's just the way you are with getting the last word. It reminds me of a lot of wives I know with my male friends. They HAVE to have the last word.

I won't miss you. Btw, make the CTE videos with explanations and post them since you understand it so perfectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.