What is it?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s not from a ship. Might see one of these in the Smithsonian someday.

Attachments

• 4A902D87-30B5-41D5-AD1E-8CB4F230FCAC.jpg
    4A902D87-30B5-41D5-AD1E-8CB4F230FCAC.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 675

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That, sir, is a pool time stamp clock. I can still smell “Charlie’s Pool Hall” where I first saw one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a Calculagraph, commonly used in poolrooms to time the tables and provide pricing in the 40's (maybe earlier?) through the 70's and into the 80's before computers took over. I had one in my first poolroom in Bakersfield in the 1970's. You stamp a time card when they take the balls out and stamp it again when they bring them back. The time and price is all done for you.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
It's a Calculagraph, commonly used in poolrooms to time the tables and provide pricing in the 40's through the 70's (and even in the 80's) before computers took over. I had one in my first poolroom in Bakersfield in the 1970's. You stamp a time card when they take the balls out and stamp it again when they bring them back. The time and price is all done for you.

Welcome back, Jay.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It's a Calculagraph, commonly used in poolrooms to time the tables and provide pricing in the 40's (maybe earlier?) through the 70's and into the 80's before computers took over. I had one in my first poolroom in Bakersfield in the 1970's. You stamp a time card when they take the balls out and stamp it again when they bring them back. The time and price is all done for you.

Yep, first poolroom I worked/played in had one. Pretty cool to see one, great memories.
Jason

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Next step up after the time clock...
...Jerry Briesath’s CueNique....we bought ours the first year...1979

7CD88253-5262-499A-8EA3-843B42458E5F.jpeg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know a few girls that use the same time keeping methods in their business also... Same clock I think.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The post it note has an 845 area code, same area code as in Brewster NY- home of Jack and Jill Billiards. the post it note is addressed to "Steve" and Steve Priest was the second owner of that room. The room may still be open- it was a few years ago when i still lived within driving distance, Real old time room with no frills and original Gold Crowns. The original owner was "Turk" Tecchino and his Palmer "Winding Veneer" cue was on display on the wall in a glass display case- only Gene Balner, owner of Palmer Billiards could execute the veneers on that cue forearm.

Steve Priest was a well known player in the NY/Westchester / upper Putnum county area of NY - talking 60s/70s/80s.

Here is a NY times article on the place
www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/nyregion/19towns.html

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The post it note has an 845 area code, same area code as in Brewster NY- home of Jack and Jill Billiards. the post it note is addressed to "Steve" and Steve Priest was the second owner of that room. The room may still be open- it was a few years ago when i still lived within driving distance, Real old time room with no frills and original Gold Crowns. The original owner was "Turk" Tecchino and his Palmer "Winding Veneer" cue was on display on the wall in a glass display case- only Gene Balner, owner of Palmer Billiards could execute the veneers on that cue forearm.

Steve Priest was a well known player in the NY/Westchester / upper Putnum county area of NY - talking 60s/70s/80s.

Here is a NY times article on the place
www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/nyregion/19towns.html

You got it . J&J’s

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Gold crown, for confirming my suspicions, a little detective work goes a long way! And thanks for your picture post, I did not go there often, but it was always a treat in the 2000s to walk into Jack and Jill's and just FEEL the vibe of 1960s pool. It was just the way I remembered pool as a 14 year old walking into a room for the first time in 1967. That feeling has remained with me my entire life. I also remember Steve Priest's wife, who sometimes worked the counter, as being a very cordial and welcoming person.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Gold crown, for confirming my suspicions, a little detective work goes a long way! And thanks for your picture post, I did not go there often, but it was always a treat in the 2000s to walk into Jack and Jill's and just FEEL the vibe of 1960s pool. It was just the way I remembered pool as a 14 year old walking into a room for the first time in 1967. That feeling has remained with me my entire life. I also remember Steve Priest's wife, who sometimes worked the counter, as being a very cordial and welcoming person.

The pictures are compliments of my nephew (with permission from the owner). He was there last week...saw the Billing system and took the photo to show me. He's 36...nevr saw these things. I loved it. I got a flashback of the houseman responding to Time Off and puling the handle...staring at the card and telling you How Much.

Attachments

• IMG_0892 (1).jpg
    IMG_0892 (1).jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, back in the 60's at the Chalk and Cue in Highland Park (Los Angeles) ours had a green handle to check the table in and a red handle when the players finished.

Slipped a 3x5 index card into the slot to stamp it, listed the drinks and sandwiches on the card as they were ordered (sodas and coffee only, it was a "family room", toaster oven/plastic wrapped ham and cheese and roast beef) and slipped the cards into a slotted 2x4" with a slot for each of the 15 tables.

But ours didn't calculate anything, it only stamped a little picture of the clock with the time in and time out. I had to do the math myself...$1.50/hour for two players with a free half hour for every two hours played.

I miss that room and those days.