Bad Divots At Racking Spot

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My clothe is getting older and I suspect the impressions in the clothe prevent it from giving me a tight rack. It seems a ball or two always wants to roll out a millimeter or two no matter how patient I am.

Is there a way to fix that? Moisture to tighten things up? Rubbing it out? (Hehe) Or is it simply time for new clothe? The table still plays fast.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If the spots are worn out, replace them try brushing more often, try a different rack.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not rocket science let the head ball stop move rest of balls up to head ball nice and tight. Felt wears out if you try and move forward or backon the head ball spot you just make a bigger hole.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
replace the spot
if its many places
try a template rack ie magic rack

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not rocket science let the head ball stop move rest of balls up to head ball nice and tight. Felt wears out if you try and move forward or backon the head ball spot you just make a bigger hole.

Some tables will not rack tight with a triangle.

I agree with the others, replace the spot- though I will add more often...as in before you see wear- do you use a spot?

While a template is prob the best an easiest and solution, you could rack em at the other end.

Finally, it is 'legal' to rack the balls anywhere on the spot...top, bottom, left or lefter, right?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some tables will not rack tight with a triangle.

I agree with the others, replace the spot- though I will add more often...as in before you see wear- do you use a spot?

While a template is prob the best an easiest and solution, you could rack em at the other end.

Finally, it is 'legal' to rack the balls anywhere on the spot...top, bottom, left or lefter, right?
It's common to go high or low on the spot with the head ball, in order to try to achieve a tighter rack - particularly to insure the 2 balls directly behind the head ball are frozen to it and frozen to each other. I think it can be a problem if you go left or right of the center line with the head ball, or if you twist/tilt the rack a little one way or the other. I try to avoid doing that if at all possible.

We have gone to rack your own for all our tournaments, to try to eliminate complaints about the rack - at least it's your own fault if you give yourself a bad rack. We also spot the 9-ball if it is made on the break. That doesn't solve the problem of the 9-ball rolling close to one of the corner pockets on a rack that is not properly tight, and how that can certainly change how that game is played.

We used to use a Magic rack for tournaments, but no longer do. It is just too predictable, and some players figured out exactly how to successfully make a wing ball on every break. Magic racking with the 9-ball on the spot certainly helps eliminate that, but some of those same players have figured out how to make that 1-ball in the side pocket on a regular basis.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I didn’t mean just at the spot. I removed the spot sticker a little while ago because it was bad.

I meant among all the balls. For example in 9-ball I will push them all in tight and then the head ball rolls off for a millimeter gap. I adjust the rack position then the back ball is doing it. Adjust again and now the wing ball does it. Adjust again and then the second ball starts doing it, etc.

I feel I have multiple divots similar to a trained table except they are not aligned. I have a magic rack and can break satisfactory with it but leagues and tournaments don’t allow it here. I assumed my plastic triangle rack was old, dirty, and sticky when I struggle with it. So I bought a Ryo rack and I’m still having challenges as I describe above.

I wonder if wiping with a moist cloth might tighten up the divots.

Respectfully, Matt

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, no spot is a bad idea.

The wet cloth might help...can't really be worse.
Might also massage the cloth in the area to see if iit helps.

I also can't get a good rack with my wood triangle on my home table.

Sorry, I didn’t mean just at the spot. I removed the spot sticker a little while ago because it was bad.

I meant among all the balls. For example in 9-ball I will push them all in tight and then the head ball rolls off for a millimeter gap. I adjust the rack position then the back ball is doing it. Adjust again and now the wing ball does it. Adjust again and then the second ball starts doing it, etc.

I feel I have multiple divots similar to a trained table except they are not aligned. I have a magic rack and can break satisfactory with it but leagues and tournaments don’t allow it here. I assumed my plastic triangle rack was old, dirty, and sticky when I struggle with it. So I bought a Ryo rack and I’m still having challenges as I describe above.

I wonder if wiping with a moist cloth might tighten up the divots.

Respectfully, Matt