Extensions?? Feedback

Dchouinard

Registered
I have been recently thinking about shooting with a longer cue. I am 6’ tall and have long arms, and I hold the cue all the way at the back. I have seen some guys that really like a longer cues especially if they are taller. I just recently purchased a predator, I think it’s an sp2 with the revo shaft, and I love the way the shaft hits. So I have been looking at buying an extension that goes between the shaft and butt. They really only make two that I could find. One is made by balance rite and is like 3.5” long and like 2.5oz and then cue max makes two sizes that is 2.5” and 2oz, and one is that like 1.65” and like 1.5oz. My predator is 19oz and I can take weight out if I thought the extension added too much. My question is does anyone have experience with this type of extension, if so what kind of extension and how’s it working for you

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I have been recently thinking about shooting with a longer cue. I am 6’ tall and have long arms, and I hold the cue all the way at the back. I have seen some guys that really like a longer cues especially if they are taller. I just recently purchased a predator, I think it’s an sp2 with the revo shaft, and I love the way the shaft hits. So I have been looking at buying an extension that goes between the shaft and butt. They really only make two that I could find. One is made by balance rite and is like 3.5” long and like 2.5oz and then cue max makes two sizes that is 2.5” and 2oz, and one is that like 1.65” and like 1.5oz. My predator is 19oz and I can take weight out if I thought the extension added too much. My question is does anyone have experience with this type of extension, if so what kind of extension and how’s it working for you

I used to use a mid extension like that, but I much prefer the rear one I have now, because it's much easier to put on and take off for a single shot as needed.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play with a Predator, but a little over 2 years ago I started playing with a 5" extension on my cue full time. Only time I take it off is for masse shots or a near vertical draw shot to avoid fouling.

The extra weight was super easy to get used to an I feel that it makes long straight shots a bit easier due to everything being a little more stable.

Only issue is if you play somewhere that the extra length gets in the way.

8" extra would be overkill I think. For me I settled on 5" after trying a few different lengths (custom extensions I made myself, btw)

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used center extensions, but I prefer butt extensions. I use a predator 6" butt extension full time. I have removed the original weight from the cue and the light Predator extension changes the weight and balance of the cue very little.

It's nice to have the same weight and balance all the time rather than affecting both by adding an extension for specific shots. I find more pluses than minuses to using an extension full time.

Dchouinard

Registered
Yeah I am interested in using the extension all the time. So whether is was mid cue of and end butt extension it would stay on. My thought process with the butt extension, was that the balance would be affected more than the mid level extension. I couldn’t find very much talk about the butt extension being used all the time, whereas I did find more reviews with the mid level extensions being used all the time. Predator does make the 3” butt extension so if the balance isn’t affected as mentioned, it’s definitely worth a consideration. I wish I could test all three of my options because the lengths are all different. I am not sure how much length I want. I am not overly tall to where I think I need 5” but I think a few inches would help my game a lot

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm 6'1". I have played with a 60" cue for close to ten years now. I'm so used (and satisfied) playing with it I won't go to anything else...ever.

I've tried both the mid extension and the butt extension on a standard length cue and did not care for either. The mid extension made my cue feel too heavy and the butt extension messed the balance up. YMMV

FWIW, for a longer reach shot where many would use an extension, I still opt for a mechanical bridge and have no qualms about using it. I guess I'm just old-school. :grin:

Just one opinion out of many.

Maniac

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
So, I have both the mid and butt extensions. I've experimented with both and have landed on shooting with the mid extensions all the time. I prefer the way the mid-extension feels (balance more forward so it rests on my bridge hand better).

For normal shots, there is no appreciable difference in the extension location. However, when you have to jack up or shoot over a ball the cue is just a little too long / too heavy. I wish I had the rear extension at that point if only to shoot with a little shorter cue.

As mentioned, other than that, the mid works better for me for over 95% of the shots I encounter in a session.

-td

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'1". I have played with a 60" cue for close to ten years now. I'm so used (and satisfied) playing with it I won't go to anything else...ever.

I've tried both the mid extension and the butt extension on a standard length cue and did not care for either. The mid extension made my cue feel too heavy and the butt extension messed the balance up. YMMV

FWIW, for a longer reach shot where many would use an extension, I still opt for a mechanical bridge and have no qualms about using it. I guess I'm just old-school. :grin:

Just one opinion out of many.

Maniac

I am more comfortable with a 60" cue for most shots too, but I find the length and balance cumbersome for any type of masse, or a shot where I need to jack up the rear for a particular hit. During these shots I wish the cue was a littler shorter. 2 inches doesn't sound like much but I think it makes a difference in masse situations.

That was a long-winded opener to a short question - what to you do for masse type shots?

I identify with the OP. I shoot with 60" now... and I think maybe a normal length cue with a quality 5-6 inch extension would be the sweet-spot. I can take the extension off for the odd shots, and put it back on the rest of the time.

P.S. I use a mechanical bridge often - even with my 11" extension to my 60" cue.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I used the predator QR-2 or something like that, I think it’s 8 inches or maybe 6. A butt extension. I kept it on all the time and loved it. My game jumped way up over a year period until it slowly started to feel awkward, I took it off and had another jump in my play. Don’t be afraid to experiment but make sure you give things a little time to adjust unless they just feel horrible right away maybe lol.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one from Tiger. I love it. I play with it on my cue all the time. I am short. But it really helps reaching for a ball. The Tiger extension I use is 2 pieces. One short one and one long one. They actually screw together also to make one long extension. They are very light weight.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Extension

I tried a mid extension and did not like it. I currently play with a predator butt, cuetec cynergy shaft and a 3 inch rear extension I leave on all the time. Prefer this set up much better. I am 5' 9" bit have long arms and this suits me well.

I have a 12 inch extension I swap out for certain shots but I would really like to get one of their 8 inch extensions and try it for a while and see what I think.

Dchouinard

Registered
That was a long-winded opener to a short question - what to you do for masse type shots?

I identify with the OP. I shoot with 60" now... and I think maybe a normal length cue with a quality 5-6 inch extension would be the sweet-spot. I can take the extension off for the odd shots, and put it back on the rest of the time.

P.S. I use a mechanical bridge often - even with my 11" extension to my 60" cue.

Lol yeah sorry for the back story, just wanted to be detailed. I masse with my McDermott if need be, however I don’t masse much, not very good at it

Dchouinard

Registered
Well I ordered the 3” predator butt extension and I figure if it’s not what I like I’m gonna buy the cue max mid level extension also so either way the butt extension will still have use in those cases where I am shooting really long reach shots but I’m gonna try the predator butt extrension first for all shots

Schwim

Registered
For those of you with the Predator QR2 extension, can you describe the buttcap that replaces the cue's original? I understand that it has the female uniloc side that accepts the extension, but I'm interested in what the bumper is made of... rubber or hard plastic. I think it may be plastic and don't like the idea of it sliding around on the floor when the extension is not attached. Is this correct?

Toxis

Registered
I have a new Predator 9k with a Revo and added a Carbon Fiber weave 4” mid extension. Love it. I’m short so having the extra length means less stretching. Especially with the grip going down farther on the butt. I have had it a couple weeks and don’t see myself not using it. I adjusted to the weight (2.3oz) quickly so that’s a non factor. Strongly recommend it. If you need, remove the weight bolt to accommodate. Plus, having the mid extension centers the balance point where when I tried the 3” extension on the butt, it felt like I had the weight there.