Center table shots - Easily recognize how to aim them

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
All aiming methods rely on experience to enhance/improve accuracy and consistency. In other words, using any set of instructions to perform any hand-eye coordination task, with enough practice the brain eventually develops the required muscle memory and synaptic connections needed to perform the task flawlessly with just a little input from the working conscious area of the mind.

From what I've read, the absolute best performances for athletes, musicians, artists, etc.... occur when "in the zone", when all you're consciously doing is seeing or realizing what needs to happen and then doing it automatically with very minimal, if any, concious/purpose effort. The senses trigger a developed/trained skill, and it runs automatically like a computer program called upon when the proper input is entered.

The TOI example is no different than anything else that requires the development of individual fine tuning in order to make something work consistently. The final result, once the method is learned and perfected, is actually a mix of short-term/"working" memory and long-term stored memory, where we are consciously following instructions/steps and subconsciously fine tuning when needed.

A person can perform very well in this combined state, like a great piano player sight reading a piece of music for the first time. They may or may not make any mistakes in the performance. But once the piano players plays that piece several hundred times they are no longer looking at the sheet music, which means the amount of conscious effort involved is much less, if any at times, and as a result they can easily find themselves playing in the zone. At this level the sheet music is no longer being used, just like a road map is no longer used for the routes you've traveled hundreds of times.

It's a little different with pool, where quite a bit of subjectivity is involved. Aiming methods first require conscious/deliberate effort to learn. Due to differences in visual acuity, visual perception, muscle memory, feel, cue deflection, stroke, etc... we each fine tune our method to make it work more consistently. We use our experience (our long-term memory) combined with real-time inputs that get used/analyzed in working/short-term memory. And the result is a mix of conscious effort and subconscience performance. Trying to consciously perform a task that is best performed at the subconscious level results in less than optimal performance.

Why aren't you a top level pro player with all of this to go on?

I will give you credit where credit is due and you are a pretty decent amateur player,
but not the be all end all in what it takes for all levels of play and different player skill levels.

You also aren't a professional accredited instructor.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Your threads die out very quickly unless you can get those flames started up. In fact, if it weren't for the "FAB 5", your daily CTE video threads would get just a few views and 3 or 4 comments.... the first of course from the #1 cheerleader, Low Joe. Then Duckie with his standard reply, "balls don't have edges", than maybe one or two more.

And so here you are polluting this thread, which has nothing to do with CTE. How about following your advice and move along.

Back to the top, as you would say....

I don't know what the view count would be. But I DO KNOW one or more of the FAB 5 is going to be in there as early and often as possible.

Usually you. Somehow you ended up with 2 X chromosomes and have all of the characteristics of yapping to no end and getting the last word but still came out looking like a male.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you've seen him play or you have psychic powers?

Yes, I have psychic powers. That's it. And I have a really good sense of when someone is full of bs. The fact that Low assumes I am full of bs is a great indicator that he is not very bright, that he is nothing but a cheerleader. But I respect the fact that he's working very hard to make the team. I can only hope I'm still playing the game when I'm in my seventies. I sure wouldn't be here running my mouth like he does about someone he doesn't even know.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yes, I have psychic powers. That's it. And I have a really good sense of when someone is full of bs.

So do I. (not on psychic powers but a good sense of BS. I smell it every time a Fab5 member posts.)

The fact that Low assumes I am full of bs is a great indicator that he is not very bright, that he is nothing but a cheerleader. But I respect the fact that he's working very hard to make the team. I can only hope I'm still playing the game when I'm in my seventies. I sure wouldn't be here running my mouth like he does about someone he doesn't even know.

That's hypocritical because that's exactly what you're doing with him now and every day.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Why aren't you a top level pro player with all of this to go on?

I will give you credit where credit is due and you are a pretty decent amateur player,
but not the be all end all in what it takes for all levels of play and different player skill levels.

You also aren't a professional accredited instructor.

Yeah, you're right. It's not my job, jot my career.

I played 10 hours straight with a friend over the weekend. We played 2 races to 9 in 9ball, 2 races to 9 in 8ball, and a race to 9 playing one pocket. We played from 6pm Saturday to 4am Sunday morning. He won both 9ball sets. I won both 8ball sets. He beat me 9-5 in 1hole. At one point we played some damn good pool. He broke and ran 4 racks of 9ball. My best was 2, a couple of times. But in 8ball I put a two 3 packs on him, plus ran out from his dry break several times. He also broke and ran several racks, putting a 3pk on me on set.

Anyway, we got to talking about how the pros run 3 and 4 racks so often that it's normal, but with us it comes in spurts, temporary perfection. I said, "You gotta put it in the the perspective... that's what they do for a living. Here we are playing a few hours a week, compared to playing 30 to 40 hours a week. What do you expect? It is what it is."

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your threads die out very quickly unless you can get those flames started up. In fact, if it weren't for the "FAB 5", your daily CTE video threads would get just a few views and 3 or 4 comments.... the first of course from the #1 cheerleader, Low Joe. Then Duckie with his standard reply, "balls don't have edges", than maybe one or two more.

And so here you are polluting this thread, which has nothing to do with CTE. How about following your advice and move along.

Back to the top, as you would say....

This is for players that use or might be interested in using fractional aiming or halfball shot references.

》》》》》》Here is video explaining it..... https://youtu.be/Imaj5BzHlBU

Better to be a member of the Fab 5 than the Terrible 3 :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Lou's post about supposedly being in the zone because you quoted it.

What happened to the zone right after that game when he lost the match?

Was Busty's zone bigger and deeper than his or was it pure talent, knowledge, and experience? Maybe Busty focused specifically on certain things.

Busty is a pro, Lou is an amateur is what happened.

However, he did fook up and the second game I was on another runout (got to five with the last three in sight) when I got sharked by Mark Jarvis playing on the adjoining table. And in fact, because I was, once again in the zone, I was unconscious of hogging that side of the table while I was running balls and Jarvis said something that broke though into my mind and I under drew the CB. Udderwise it would have been 2-0 for the zone.

Lou Figueroa

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yeah, you're right. It's not my job, jot my career.

I played 10 hours straight with a friend over the weekend. We played 2 races to 9 in 9ball, 2 races to 9 in 8ball, and a race to 9 playing one pocket. We played from 6pm Saturday to 4am Sunday morning. He won both 9ball sets. I won both 8ball sets. He beat me 9-5 in 1hole. At one point we played some damn good pool. He broke and ran 4 racks of 9ball. My best was 2, a couple of times. But in 8ball I put a two 3 packs on him, plus ran out from his dry break several times. He also broke and ran several racks, putting a 3pk on me on set.

Anyway, we got to talking about how the pros run 3 and 4 racks so often that it's normal, but with us it comes in spurts, temporary perfection. I said, "You gotta put it in the the perspective... that's what they do for a living. Here we are playing a few hours a week, compared to playing 30 to 40 hours a week. What do you expect? It is what it is."

you played from 6pm Saturday to 4am Sunday morning and that's considered a FEW hours a WEEK?

LMAO! You play at the pool room for the league every week. How many days, I don't know but you put table time in on your table at home EVERY DAY.

That's well above a "few hours a week." But again, you shoot pretty decent and should for the number of years and time spent.

You are approaching geezerdom. Some younger bucks might even have you categorized as such already. I'm right behind.

Great pro players from 50 on are already getting their butts kicked regularly by young sharp eyed studs.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's hypocritical because that's exactly what you're doing with him now and every day.

No I'm not. He mentions me or my book every chance he gets. I reply when it finally gets under my skin deep enough to prompt a response from me. And of course I realize that's all he's doing, trolling for a response, cheerleading for his captain, trying to make anyone else appear insignificant. But doing that with lies is not fine.

I have not once belittled him or tried to smear his character. I don't know him. I have called him a liar because that's what he's doing, lying. I've called him ignorant because it's obvious that he has no knowledge of me, yet he continues to say things as if he knows what he's talking about, which is an ignorant thing to do.

It doesn't matter. I have nothing to prove to Low Joe,but if he wants proof of anything I've ever said or claimed, all he has to do fly up here. There is batting cage 15min from the house, a tennis court a mile away, a golf course 3 miles away, a guitar right here on the wall, a piano in the next room, a banjo downstairs, a drum set out in the garage, a poolhall 10min away and pool table downstairs...... I've never been a showoff type, but he wants proof I don't have a problem providing it.

The thing is, why would he even care? Why run his mouth in the first place? Who does that? Typically those are the people that have an agenda. It's not really about the person they're slandering. It's about cheerleading for their team, or their captain. Politicians do it all the time.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
you played from 6pm Saturday to 4am Sunday morning and that's considered a FEW hours a WEEK?

LMAO! You play at the pool room for the league every week. How many days, I don't know but you put table time in on your table at home EVERY DAY.

That's well above a "few hours a week." But again, you shoot pretty decent and should for the number of years and time spent.

You are approaching geezerdom. Some younger bucks might even have you categorized as such already. I'm right behind.

Great pro players from 50 on are already getting their butts kicked regularly by young sharp eyed studs.

During league I play Thursday nights, 5 games of 8ball. I play one, sometimes two, monthly tournaments. Actually playing for multiple hours, either gambling or practicing with a friend, I do about once a week, typically 4 or 5 hours. Once in a great while I might play 10+ hours straight, but not often.

Lately, due to the pandemic having everything closed, I've been practicing certain shots for about an hour a day, as well as adding more clips to YouTube. But even on one of my jam packed weeks of playing pool, it's certainly not the amount of hours needed to consistently play at a high level.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
No I'm not. He mentions me or my book every chance he gets. I reply when it finally gets under my skin deep enough to prompt a response from me. And of course I realize that's all he's doing, trolling for a response, cheerleading for his captain, trying to make anyone else appear insignificant. But doing that with lies is not fine.

The thing is, why would he even care? Why run his mouth in the first place? Who does that? Typically those are the people that have an agenda. It's not really about the person they're slandering. It's about cheerleading for their team, or their captain.

Sounds like you just described the FAB5 and what is done here as well as what was done for the last 22 years. The only thing that's changed is one or two faces.

Except there has been slandering involved with them.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I've already explained this to you multiple times. I don't care what side of the aiming argument you fall on, I just ask you to be civil. It's ok to disagree with someone, but it's not ok to insult them while you are disagreeing. Unfortunately, you don't see to be capable of arguing your opinion without belittling someone in the process.

Yes, the anti CTEers drive me nuts, but so do you.

Good point. The question I have is why hasn't this same line of thinking been applied to those who use CTE and those who belittle and rip the system apart as well as those who use it? I mean it is being used by a number of top pro players and amateur players in the US.

Is there be a double standard and possibly more moderation needed for those who post constant negative stuff about what CTE users do and have since your site was created?

C'mon Mike, lets be realistically fair here.