Do you play with your nicer Cue away from home

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I am problay odd here on this but I play out from time to time at other Friends tables and also a pool club and I do not take my nicer cues. I have a couple of cheaper Cues such as Players that I take, I have a few Friends who give me grief over this as they say I would not own a cue that I could not take out and Play with. My Nice Cue is older and I always worry about it getting dented or scratched, and also some idiot picking it up and doing who know what with it, Do you guy's play out with your better cue or do you use a cheaper one. I also do not break with my playing Cues but know people who do .

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I do the same thing. I have a sneaky pete I use for league and travelling around. I also have a McDermott jump/break cue for that purpose as well. I rarely take the other cues out of the house now. Too many things stolen from pool halls in my time... Now I don't have to worry when I go to the bathroom.

-td

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I am problay odd here on this but I play out from time to time at other Friends tables and also a pool club and I do not take my nicer cues. I have a couple of cheaper Cues such as Players that I take, I have a few Friends who give me grief over this as they say I would not own a cue that I could not take out and Play with. My Nice Cue is older and I always worry about it getting dented or scratched, and also some idiot picking it up and doing who know what with it, Do you guy's play out with your better cue or do you use a cheaper one. I also do not break with my playing Cues but know people who do .
Location, location, location. It all depends on where you're going. If its a spot with better players and decent carpets i'd take any cue. Bars/dive rooms are another story. Take the beater sneaky.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I leave the nice cues at home. Don't have to worry about theft, someone picking it up and dinging it, someone wanting to try it, getting knocked over, etc.
The only place to play these days anyways is bar settings, and taking a high dollar cue around drunk folks, well, that's just not for me.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i only ever have a single player at one time
so if its fancy or plain it goes with me

dont no body mess with my stuff when i go out either , and im always away from the crowd off by myself some place

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Location, location, location. It all depends on where you're going. If its a spot with better players and decent carpets i'd take any cue. Bars/dive rooms are another story. Take the beater sneaky.

This...later today I'll be going to my favorite pool hall, the Cue Ball in Salem...I have no problem taking my Josey there. Any bar table local to me? Nope. A cheap Asian cue...

Have to admit, haven't played in a local bar for years...too many mean drunks in this small town.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
No safe queens here. I own a few nice cues, but nothing so nice I won't take it out.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take my nice cue wherever I go play. Pool Hall, Bar, buddies house...I paid big money for it to get the enjoyment out of playing it...besides I didn't buy it for an investment, I will never resell it. Even if I did, it would never recoup my money.

Another way to look at it, I don't have a beater car to drive to the bar, or grocery store...I drive my expensive one wherever I go...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I always bring my cue with me. Expensive it was. I watch it well if I’m somewhere I don’t know. I’ll hold it while I hit the bathroom or smoke. At my normal place of play I will leave it on the table, semi tucked up under the rail as if that would stop opportunistic thieves from spotting it lol. I watch the exits if I’m out smoking and if something looks like mine I’ll pop back inside to check real quick before they have a chance to escape

I never play in bars because I can’t stand valleys or old chipped balls with no gloss. My game drops like 7 levels when I get on a terrible bar table. I should be able to adapt but I’m a prima Donna or whatever. Pool goes from a gentlemanly game played where the air is crisp to more of a vagabond poking balls wiv a stik

And the drunks! There are drunk people in bars. All up in my face slurring and pointing at things. Who needs it?

One time a Nigerian asked to play since I was practicing alone, tables were full. I said yeah you warm up while I smoke. I came back and his friend was at the table with him, my break cue in hand with the butt cap screwed off of it and he was poking inside with a straw lol. Another time I let a father and sons play on my table, we ended up in teams and the oldest marine son was my partner. We shared my nice cue since I liked him and he seemed respectable. He missed a shot and whacked the table with my nice cue ;) little shit.

So yes your nice cues are certainly in danger when you take them out but for me pool isn’t the same without a cue I know intimately and cosmetic damage is just that. Theft is the real trouble to avoid

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My player is my player and I always play with it. I would not play pool at any place I am uncomfortable taking my player to.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Another way to look at it, I don't have a beater car to drive to the bar, or grocery store...I drive my expensive one wherever I go...

My wife's car is a fairly new (2016) Camry. It's simply the better car for town runs. My '09 Mustang Bullitt model will be taking us to the Cue ball in Salem later today...an 80 miles round trip. It's the better highway car.

Cars aren't cues, but I do prefer playing with my Keith Josey over a cheaper cue I have. But if going to a bar? Yep, the cheaper cue...

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take my Tascarella to every place I play, but I guard it very protectively in some spots. The home bar for my Masters APA team sometimes has a lot of little leaguers that are really rambunctious and there have been several near misses of them hitting my cue with theirs as they flail about so I have taken another cue there when I know it is going to be LL night.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with the cues in my signature regardless of the circumstances or when or where.
My cues are meant to be played with. That’s why cues are built or why bother having any?

Fancy, ornate, rare, expensive, irreplaceable, unique, sentimental.....none of this matters.
If you own a cue, play with it or hang it on a wall to look at. Why else spend the $ to get them.

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

If you’re always worried about your cue getting scratched or dented, how do you focus or get in stroke? A friend let me hit some with their 5K JW and while it hit amazing, I wouldn’t want that thought in the back of my head. I’d say anything under $2K is appropriate to take out to the bar.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with any and all of my cues.

I keep an eye on them, yep, but I take them anywhere I wanna play.

I picked up a sneaky pete to take to rougher places, but haven't used it much.

Ken

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I don't have a table at home so I take whatever I would be shooting with to whichever place I was going. Price didn't matter to me as I felt I'd be safe with it to use anywhere and felt no one would walk off with it. To be fair, I trust everyone I shot with in league. The league I played in was an in house league with 4 teams and it was a complete dive bar. I'd bring over 8k with me in there and had left it unattended several times with no issues. Not only leaving the case on the table as I've went to the bathroom, but I've left the bar for 30-45 minutes on many cases to go home, pick up my roommate and bring her to work and coming back where my case is sitting exactly where I've left it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't even play pool!

You must’ve wandered into the wrong forum....you’re a polo player?
...what kinda horse do you ride?

I usually had my 68 Joss and my Szamboti in the same case...(the action days)...
...sometimes a Tad or a Gina was the third cue.
I’d let people hit with them also...if they could play a bit.
I never wanted my possessions to own me.

But I very rarely went to a bar.