Pictures of hackwork section!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe not but who gives a dam if it does, I'm siding with Eddie on this one. Very innovative and unique solution. Maybe not applicable in all tables but it has alot of strengths....I know you like the smell of glue in the mourning Glen but you know its a good idea when you saw it. I also argee with OTLB about the MSDS, not trying to knock your action but man you never know with people. Go do some rich dudes diamond and his little girl gets sick and get busted by a bunch of lawyers, it's extreme but remember moore's law right??

Grey, if you'll read back on some of my posts, I stated that back in the 80's around 83/84 I tried using tack strips, so please keep in mind, tack strips are not new and innovative with todays use by OTLB, and I'm not knocking him for trying them out, that's his call. I for one, felt that there was a better way of attaching the bed cloth to slates back in the 80's other than having to replace missing backer boards in order to install tack strips, and worked on a lot of bar tables that they couldn't be applied to, so I passed on the idea, and believe me, I'm not the only one that tried that method a long time ago and dropped it as a good idea but not really feasible in the real world, as back then I worked on ALL kinds of pool tables, including 23 different kinds of manufactured coin-operated pool tables dumped in Washington State by just about every coin-op manufacture there was at the time.

Next subject, glue and the smell of it. When was the last time you heard of someone getting brain damage from glue, unless they put model glue in a brown paper bag, shoved it over their nose and breathed it all in...because they'd heard you could get high that way!

As far as being pregnant and smelling the glue I use, you're way off track here buddy. A pregnant woman smells more fumes from pumping her own gas at a gas station...every time she buys gas for her car! I don't ever recall hearing a pregnant woman come into a gas station and tell someone in there they had to go out and pump her gas for her...because she's pregnant! Yet, there is the dumb-shits that still believe that they can get high sniffing gasoline out of a brown paper bag as well.

Point is, when using the glue I use, don't use it unless there's ventilation, don't pour some in bag and try sniffing it, don't stick your nose in the can and breath deeply...that's NOT what the glue is used for. Use it the way it was designed to be used...and no problems.

If you want to know what smells worse, use oven-off to clean your oven, bleach to clean your toilet, or follow close behind a diesel truck for miles at a time, second hand smoke from cigarettes is another one.

In the last 26 years, I've never heard of someone being sued, or getting brain damage from having their pool table recovered by someone using glue, but I HAVE heard of people DIEING after getting a flu shot, that was suppose to keep them from catching the flu!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, there's no band wagon being formed against mechanics using glue to install bed cloths, or cushions/facings....only mechanics that talk about all the bad things that "could" happen, if conditions are right...because they don't want to change the way they work...for the better, even though if used right, it's safer than pumping your OWN gas!

Glen

PS. Ever heard of someone DIEING....because they DRANK to much?...Did you know that you can DIE from drinking to much WATER!, let alone to much alcohol!

OTLB

Banned
tac strips are on the market and have been for a long time, I have no intention of trying to market them or make money on them. For Gods sake they hold down carpet! Maybe they should just glue carpet down instead on the edges and pre measure it., it would be a larger market then pool cloth for you Glen. I modify my tac strips from stock. Many guys try things and give up, I don't, I keep trying.

They don't make up the information on MSDS sheets, its real and its a hazard. I have already gone over my thoughts on this topic and when my new web site comes out I will cover it in full detail. Maybe I will post one on the site. Customers decide for themselves and many don't know, I seriously doubt you can win the argument. Its really no argument, there are lots of things that are a problem I agree but if there is a way around them I think its foolish to stick with a method that may pose a problem. So you go into a persons house and tell them you have to open all the windows so they don't get sick, but the glue is safe? Even I wouldn't want to sell that. Proof is in the pudding Glen. You showed 45 mechs according to LCCS how to do it. I assume you did a great job from all the posts I saw. There should probably be at least 50 tables done by now if they even did 1 per week.

Where are the pics of all the tables these guys are doing? I haven't seen one. Is it that hard to do it or aren't they doing it?

And again, so many mechs saw your method Glen, where are all the pics? If its the best thing since sliced bread for all tables I would like to see pics from all the guys using it on all tables. I think it has its place but it doesn't matter to me.

So if your in a persons house and there is no ventialtion then you can't do the job?

talking about open glue in a home and gas outside is not the same. They don't even let that glue on airplanes do they?

whoops, now up to 800,000

Last edited:

scottp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe not but who gives a dam if it does, I'm siding with Eddie on this one. Very innovative and unique solution. Maybe not applicable in all tables but it has alot of strengths....I know you like the smell of glue in the mourning Glen but you know its a good idea when you saw it. I also argee with OTLB about the MSDS, not trying to knock your action but man you never know with people. Go do some rich dudes diamond and his little girl gets sick and get busted by a bunch of lawyers, it's extreme but remember moore's law right??

I'm currently taking my time with my table here's my hack job on one of the completed rails...shimmed to 4 1/4 at mouth and 3 3/4 at the throat. Can't wait to get it all done...oh and Glen I wanted to say thanks I saw your picture of hiding the staples and cuts on the pocket...just a nice addition to the work.

I am no where near to your guys skills, but with a couple basic simple tools, some oilfield engineering, a little time and patience anyone can do a good job on a table. I wish I just had extended rails, but the shims will play just fine, but brother it takes alot of paitence making that profile perfect. Much respect to you guys...I like to think I'm an exception to the rule but working on a table much less tightening pockets should be left to a pro. Not that anyone cant do it...its just I don't think 99% of people got the patience to do it correctly. Kinda like building cues...either do it right period or after your done rushing throw it in the fire.

I'm going to take better and more pics as I go along and post them so you guys can see.

Best Wishes,
Grey Ghost

P.S. Either Glen "RKC" or John "OTLB" I would love to contact either one of you via phone just got a couple questions/ideas to complete the task at hand, just send me a PM if your ok with that. Other than that I want to thank everyone on az for all the information put on here. I had some prior knowledge on table repair and recovering but have learned and applied much off what I have seen from many of you guys.

nice looking CLASSIC is it the 6 legged one or the 4?
i had one a 9' one a while back ....bought it for 500.00 played on it for 4 years and then sold it for 3000.00
mine had a deep shelf and played very tough......
scott

realkingcobra

Silver Member
They don't even let that glue on airplanes do they?

whoops, now up to 800,000

Airplanes? That depends, Boeing uses it on their airplanes when they're being built...does that count?:D

Them are just feel sorry for you points:rotflmao1: And would you believe me if I told you...I was stapling cloth on tables LONG before you were even thinking about being a mechanic:D I've never once said I CAN"T staple cloth on the bed of a table....now have I?;) Maybe someday we can see who staples the cloth on a table the best...you or me:rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

OTLB

Banned
Well there you go challenging me again.

I could care less really, right now I am trying to figure out how to get 1100 balls on a pool table. Looks like everyone gave up but not me

If you want to start making comparisons I will send you my resume

Last edited:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
And in this corner wearing the red and white trunks......

I could care less really, right now I am trying to figure out how to get 1100 balls on a pool table. Looks like everyone gave up but not me

I don't have enough balls to get that chore done! Most I've been able to get at the house was 18 without opening another box....:wink:
Unless someone is sitting around with 69 complete sets of balls, I don't see it happening in the near future..... but ya never know!lol
When are you two going to challenge each other to a game of Scrabble?

I have a couple of sets of rails to put rubber on, I'll check on the spelling bee match later-:D
Have a great night everyone!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I think I've finally figured you out John, you're just jealous because I'm the realkingcobra! That's OK John, because YOU can be the Queencobra...the "REALQUEENCOBRA!!!!!!!!! Are you a Queen John? You look like a Queen, I bet you ARE a Queen! :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao::rotflmao:

OTLB

Banned
Now that I think about It I read that using glue will cause a person to loose their hair,

go ahead and make fun of me. I don't care.

Last edited:

Dartman

Silver Member
... So if your in a persons house and there is no ventialtion then you can't do the job? ...

Here's a really simple question for you altho I doubt you can answer without adding some off-topic bullshit -

WHAT DO YOU USE TO INSTALL CLOTH ON VALLEY 93 SLATE?

OTLB

Banned
Here's a really simple question for you altho I doubt you can answer without adding some off-topic bullshit -

WHAT DO YOU USE TO INSTALL CLOTH ON VALLEY 93 SLATE?

well I don't do bar tables and said that before.

and now for the bullshit since you asked for it. Why do you say no advertising on your sticky and yet you advertise?????? hows that?

Submit (Post Reply) your name, number and area you service to be added.
Please save your commercials and advertisements for the yellow pages.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

and now for the bullshit since you asked for it. Why do you say no advertising on your sticky and yet you advertise?????? hows that?

Submit (Post Reply) your name, number and area you service to be added.
Please save your commercials and advertisements for the yellow pages.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it's Dartman's thread, that's why:D but I looked...where's the advertizing?....I might have missed it....while looking for my hair:D

Dartman

Silver Member

You DON"T do bar tables? You said that before? LMFAO - whatever jackson.
OK OK - how do you install cloth on slate that has no slate liner.

I'll guess your answer - you don't do tables that lack slate liners right?

I knew (actually we all knew) you couldn't answer a simple question without going off-topic.
Since you probably stuck yourself too many times with your funky tack strips - this is advertising -
Originally Posted by KPB2005
We sell, service, and rent tables by the hour. We do it all! Commercial & Residential, we pride ourselves in being professional, reliable and doing the best job possible. Installs, Relocations, Leveling, Refelt, Slate Repair and whatever else you need in the entire state of Washington

Rather different from the signature below.

Last edited:

Dartman

Silver Member
All right salesman against installer who wins and what or the odds??

Craig

Umm, I do tables too Craig, LOL. Not many these days tho but a fair share since 1995.
I will say if I ever found tack strips on a table they would go straight to the trash.

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
All right salesman against installer who wins and what or the odds??

Craig

I'll go 2-1 one that guy that' been doing tables for a while now....:wink:
He's the one with the green squares and some green in his avatar.:grin:
And doesn't advertise in the sticky.:grin-square:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Dartman you always fire straight from the hip. Your always good for the truth or willing to point the way for someone to get a real deal install done right the first time. You helped me out a few time on parts and supplies.

Thanks,
Craig