What is the greatest compliment someone has given you?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had played in a 6 week long, "Short Rack 8-Ball" tournament for 5 out of the 6 weeks. I had won the tournaments 2-6.

The night of the 7th tournament, the manager met me just inside the door. He said, "Charley, are you gonna play again tonight"? I said, "yes, why". He said, "that gang of guys over there aren't gonna play, if you do... they can't beat you with your Break Shot".

We never played another "Short Rack 8-Ball" tournament.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While playing Scott Lee some 1P, he said "That was a nice shot Mike"
It was a difficult short rail bank using inside english, to get out of one of his brutal safeties.:D

Famn, that guy is a tough cookie.

I was playing him and he said,' gimme that damn cue'.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I do not play lights out pool, I have been told on several occasions that I have a very nice Stroke/Tempo.

Coming from some of the best in Colorado, I'll take that complement :D:D:D

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Not a compliment as such, but a comment from Alex Higgins probably saved my life.

I was playing the famous Hurricane during the 1989 Cue & Dart Exhibition held at the G Mex Centre in Manchester, England. I managed to beat Alex 9 - 4 that day and the great man wasn't best pleased. Later that evening, as I was leaving the Piccadilly Hotel's exhibitors' dinner, two thugs set upon me in the parking lot and proceeded to give me one of the worst beatings of my life. Just when I thought I was about to join the choir invisible, Higgins walked around the corner and said "that should be enough, lads."

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing last night and heard two things;

1) The guy I was playing told me I had a great stroke and for my age and experience I'd be a champion.

2) Some quiet guy walked in to the hall while I was playing that match and after getting out of a tricky rack he approached me and told me I play great shape/move the CB great.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
My dear friend said that it is a constant accomplishment that I not light the Hall on fire or impale myself on my own cue.... DCC here I come.

Lesh

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sportsmanship Award

A few years ago I played in a small 8 Ball League at the local pool hall. When it was over the owner gave me a plaque that say's I exhibited the best Sportsmanship of all who played in the league.

He said I knew how to loose and knew how to win and specifically my willingness to spend time with any one who wanted to improve their game.

Here I am tooting my own horn.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
"Nice try on that BIH shot, you almost made it!!!!"

Thats all I got, sorry.:shrug:

There is 1 more I almost forgot about, after what I thought was a good break by my standards someone said "next time try hitting it with your purse!!!"

Last edited:

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice Compliment

I haven't read all of the replies, so there is probably one like this earlier. After defeating my opponent 5 - 0 in our league's season ending 8-ball tournament he came up to me and said "I thought you were supposed to be good. You never shot any hard shots. Anyone could win with those shots."
I told him that was the objective and that I appreciated him recognizing the results of all of my practice.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The greatest compliment I ever got was when they gave me their money.

Money speaks louder than words. :)

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
No one has to beat JT on a bar box when he waits until after the win to start celebrating. Buddy Hall to some guys a The Barn Bar & Gril. Johnnyt

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"You know, I used to think you were a dumb fook, but there are so many other dumb fooks around........ you moved up without doing anything......." :thumbup:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played in our end of season tournament ($10) so anyone in the league (16 teams) can play since it's our party night (free food) and open pool. it's a TOUGH league. Most teams have at least one master, some have many more. There is no limit... it's ACS.

I get paired up in first match with one of the top shooters in the league, Marvin. It's 9ball race to 3. He's a master level player even if he does not have the "official" ranking yet ;)

I beat him 3-1. Someone asked me how I did, and I said I won, but I know if it were a bigger race, he would smoke me, not a big deal.

I heard him telling his buddy, "the guy never missed". I liked it because being as good as he is (monster) he didn't resort to demeaning losing to a lesser player, or make excuses.... he lost because they other guy shot better on that particular day. :thumbup:
Kudos to him. Drives me nuts when people have to make excuses. Guy I used to play league with complains after every shot he misses building up to the inevitable excuse when he loses if his constant complaining doesn't throw you off your game

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of all the folks I had beat back during the day,and there were good players in the bunch, the best compliment came almost 20 years after I had left the road. Wade Crane looked at me , when we hadn't seen each other in over 10 years and told me I would have made my mark,,He didn't like it when I decided that the road wasn't for me anymore,,still miss Billy J.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brandon Shuff told me he realy likes the way I play ,, I replied how could you tell I never won a game :cool:

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're much better looking in person.

Oh....you meant a pool-related compliment...:wink:

Someone once told me once I looked like Efren when stroking the ball. Well, more than one person has told me that at various times over the years.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"You got a nice stroke son....but your game is still for shit."

My Dad 30+ years ago. Not much has changed with me but he still plays when he can with parkinson's at 82 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_8636.jpg.jpg
    IMG_8636.jpg.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited: