No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Guess I can't vote...for indeed, I am a recreational banger and an old fart. However, I could write a check for a table...

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You talk about people wanting the small pockets then about what big sellers seven foot tables are. I would want smaller pockets on the smaller table too, to raise the difficulty level to close to the same as a nine footer.
FYI :The pockets on a 7' Diamond are also Pro Cut unless you order them differently. Never seen a Blue Label with league cut pockets.

Poorly worded options.

And why can I only vote on 1?

And why are you so vindictive?

And are the pockets both of similar quality cuts, or are the buckets cut by blind work release guy with machete?

1. Because that is the way I set up the poll
2. I am not. Sorry that is your opinion about my intent with the topic.
3. See Lawnboys comment.

Bill Stroud and I had a conversation off of the other thread about 5" pockets via private message because I said I was done with that thread.

He said that tight pockets have no place in pool. I told him that from my experience in the field and data from my customer base(mostly players or people trying to be and not recreational players) that they think tight pockets definitely do belong in pool.

One thing, i thought LeagueCut was standard size on 7ft Diamonds and ProCut is the option. Not true? Just askin'.

When you order a 7' Diamond it is standard Pro Cut, you have to ask for the other.

Yeah but incorrect pocket miters and down angles are a whole different animal. I can’t speak for Trent, but I’m pretty sure that this pole is assuming all other factors being correct, or the same. Pockets incorrectly cut will spit good balls out no matter what size the opening.

Yes!

I'm not voting and it's not necessarily because I disagree with the op but rather because, imo, if you're gonna put up a poll it shouldn't be asking the question with such heavy influence in a particular direction.

again, just imo.

but the topic discussion is good. ;)

best,
brian kc

I knew how the poll was going to go. I am in the business and should know. The poll shows that people who are into pool like tighter pockets.

What not an option for pockets tighter than 4.5"?

No need. The standard is Pro Cut. I know there is a crowd that likes tighter. I like one pocket on what I call Super Pro Cut= 4.25" corners and 4.75" sides.

Some of you people need to loosen your anus a little bit. It's a simple question... do you prefer 4 1/2" or 5" pockets. If you can't answer that without trying to be a scholar or a psychiatrist, you need the later.

Funny and a lil extreme, but, I am known to be a lil intense!!!
Thank You! :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some of you people need to loosen your anus a little bit. It's a simple question... do you prefer 4 1/2" or 5" pockets. If you can't answer that without trying to be a scholar or a psychiatrist, you need the later.

It’s not so simple...it’s a biased title and a biased poll.

I have gambled on tighter than 4 inch and looser than 5 inch.
The trick is that you’re there to beat the guy you’re playing, not the equipment.

The poll didn’t allow for multiple choices...I would’ve taken both.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

The trick is that you’re there to beat the guy you’re playing, not the equipment.

The second you looked at the poll you knew what I thought.

Just like I KNEW how people would vote.

Allowing people to vote both ways cancels out their vote.

Trent from Toledo

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It was meant to be funny. Just choose which you prefer and stop trying to psycho analize the OP. He is beyond help:)

Given the two choices, I choose 4 1/2. I like 4 1/4 on 7 foot, 4 1/2 on 8 foot, and 4 3/4 on 9's. I think it makes 7 and 8 foot tables play closer to a 9.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up in So Cal this thread doesn't even make sense. If you can't do it on a 4" flat pocket, you can't do it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It was meant to be funny. Given the two choices, I choose 4 1/2. I like 4 1/4 on 7 foot, 4 1/2 on 8 foot, and 4 3/4 on 9's. I think it makes 7 and 8 foot tables play closer to a 9.

In the snooker world, to be world legal, the pockets have to fit a template....
..3.5 inches at the fall...and the jaws have to fit the template snug.

I suggested to RKC to make a template for pool....4.5 with no deep shelves.

But I’ll still make a game on anything...if I think I can win.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would order it differently

FYI :The pockets on a 7' Diamond are also Pro Cut unless you order them differently. Never seen a Blue Label with league cut pockets.

I would have to do some cyphering but I would want it to be as difficult to make a ball from two diamonds out on the seven footer as it would be to make a ball from two diamonds out on the blue label nine foot diamonds I usually play on. It is a thought but I probably wouldn't make it as hard to pocket balls on as the snooker tables I like so well too!

If and when I have room for a bigger than seven foot table I will probably put in a ten footer, pool or snooker. I favor that size real estate and if push came to shove I would admit I don't really care that much about pocket size. Always fun to kick somebody's butt on a table while they are complaining the pockets are too big!

Hu

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I would have to do some cyphering but I would want it to be as difficult to make a ball from two diamonds out on the seven footer as it would be to make a ball from two diamonds out on the blue label nine foot diamonds I usually play on. It is a thought but I probably wouldn't make it as hard to pocket balls on as the snooker tables I like so well too!

If and when I have room for a bigger than seven foot table I will probably put in a ten footer, pool or snooker. I favor that size real estate and if push came to shove I would admit I don't really care that much about pocket size. Always fun to kick somebody's butt on a table while they are complaining the pockets are too big!

Hu

None of this has anything to do with the pool. It is one or the other, thats it :)

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
I don't regard 4.5" as "tight". Perhaps because of my preference to play on Diamonds.

The problem is 4.0" pockets, or even somewhat smaller. I respect the skills and friendship of the Filipino contingent, especially in Cali, but most of them believe any pockets - any on a 9 footer - over 4" are too big.

This is a problem for the recreational player, even most B players.

Rec players like to see balls drop. Balls don't easily fall with 4.0" triple-shimmed pockets (shims are another Oprah episode).

At 4.5", you can still create some angle when needed. By no means are they buckets, but very playable.

I fully recognize other factors - angle, shelf depth, etc - but as you approach 4.0" the game changes, and not necessarily for the better.

-von

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with ShootingArts. I think the bigger, more important question (especially, the way things are going) is the size of the table not the pockets (but also agree with his view that the size of the table is a factor in choosing pocket sizes).

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
options

None of this has anything to do with the pool. It is one or the other, thats it :)

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

You neglected to give the "Don't give a rat's ass" option!:thumbup:

I can still hear the thump of the balls hitting the back of the several layer thick saddle leather pockets on the old ten footers I learned on. They were what I started gambling on too. I don't remember anyone having difficulty missing pockets on those tables. Perhaps the best way to tighten pockets is the old way, bet higher and higher until your buttcheeks squinch-up, then the pockets are plenty small! The most I ever bet by a bunch was on one game of barbox eight ball. That game took at least fifteen or twenty minutes, maybe longer.

Bearing in mind you work on the old stuff, a serious question: I used to play on some old ten footers with those heavy leather pockets and somewhere between two and three inch slate. Very thick by thumb and forefinger spread measurement but I didn't know that including backing at the time. Any idea what brand or brands these old tables might have been?

Hu

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I voted 4.5" pockets. But, like many here, I play a lot of pool and consider it something very important in my life. The fact is, however, that we are the minority when it comes to the bulk of pool players around the world.

Millions of people play pool recreationally or purely for social interaction/entertainment. I would be willing to bet that the best selling pool tables are "furniture" style tables used in homes for recreation, where specific table specs have no meaning to the owners.

Here on AZ, with our 68,000+ members, we represent less than 1% of the total amount of people that say they enjoy a few games here and there. Just in the US this figure in estimated to be over 8 million. So if we could include these peeps in the poll it would give a much more accurate picture of what "most people" prefer. Here, where the vast majority of us are serious about the game, tighter pockets will likely be the favorite.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trent, I had my 9' Gandy 'sportsman' model set up by Glen a few years ago. I wanted it tighter as I was practicing a lot and hitting a lot of tournaments at that time. He recommended no tighter than 4 1/2 so I went with that, might be 4 5/8. It was good as I was playing all the time.

Fast forward, not playing as much, no tournaments, just for fun and my 'bucket' list of 100 plus in 14.1. I am okay with the size, but would NOT recommend it to anyone not trying to work on their game and/or stay competitive at a higher level. Would advocate Against it on a deep shelf table for anyone low 500's fargo or a for 'fun' player.

So, for the best players (top 20 - 25%) probably okay, for under that maybe 4 3/4 or 5 for a 9' table. A lot of people :smile: just don't know what they don't know.:smile:

Who are the ones you sell the most tables to?

td

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I voted 4.5" pockets. But, like many here, I play a lot of pool and consider it something very important in my life. The fact is, however, that we are the minority when it comes to the bulk of pool players around the world.

Millions of people play pool recreationally or purely for social interaction/entertainment. I would be willing to bet that the best selling pool tables are "furniture" style tables used in homes for recreation, where specific table specs have no meaning to the owners.

Here on AZ, with our 68,000+ members, we represent less than 1% of the total amount of people that say they enjoy a few games here and there. Just in the US this figure in estimated to be over 8 million. So if we could include these peeps in the pole it would give a much more accurate picture of what "most people" prefer. Here, where the vast majority of us are serious about the game, tighter pockets will likely be the favorite.

The poll specifically says : FOR PLAYERS AND NOT HOME RECREATIONAL BANGERS: PRO CUT POCKETS OR BUCKETS?

"most people" have no idea about pocket size unless you told them. So speaking frankly, they dont matter in the equation whatsoever. :)

Thanks for your vote and opinion.

Trent from Toledo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The poll specifically says : FOR PLAYERS AND NOT HOME RECREATIONAL BANGERS: PRO CUT POCKETS OR BUCKETS?

"most people" have no idea about pocket size unless you told them. So speaking frankly, they dont matter in the equation whatsoever. :)

Thanks for your vote and opinion.

Trent from Toledo

Damn. My reading comprehension skills must've taken a break when I saw this thread! Lol

Do you think "players", as we reach an age where going out and gambling or competing in tournaments and such, becomes something of the past, and since the love and enjoyment for playing is still there, we navigate to 5" pockets in order to satisfy that enjoyment?

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like I'm not supposed to vote, so I won't, lol. And I think the poll can be limited to whatever group for responses - makes sense given the question.

But . . . . #recreationalpoolplayerslivesmatter!