56 ball run video

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Nice shooting Jim....I Can see alot of improvement !!!

In the 64 Ball Run you played some really nice patterns, a few i would change but nothing drastic. I haven't watched the other yet but i will for sure.

What were you tryin to accomplish on the ball you shot just before you missed ?

that last rack was critical, when you had played the 2 balls that were tied up near the pocket. i would of played the open ball that was near the cluster to open them up. the way you went about it you were pushing all the balls uptable and away from break ball zone.

had you have shot that open ball in the cluster, even though it was a little harder of a shot it would of moved balls in a better direction and you would still have that ball to shoot in the 2 ball cluster near the pocket.

keep up the good work, its paying off !

-Steve

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very Nice Run

Thumbs up to you. Very good run.
I agree with Stevie. I would of shot the 13 ball bumping the 8 ball over. Leaving the 10 ball (the two together) by the lower left corner as an Ins. ball, but the way you went about it was not bad either.
I can see what you were trying to do when you ended up getting yourself stuck. You just wanted to come up to that location and cut one of those balls in but you went to far over and rolled onto that ball. It was an easy shot but like all of us it appeared that you took the shot not being as careful as other shots. Sometimes those easy shots where one thinks it is so easy for position will be get a player in trouble. In this case it did.
Anyways, great run. If you can run 64, then you can run 100. You have a new goal my friend.

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Jim....I Can see alot of improvement !!!

In the 64 Ball Run you played some really nice patterns, a few i would change but nothing drastic. I haven't watched the other yet but i will for sure.

What were you tryin to accomplish on the ball you shot just before you missed ?

that last rack was critical, when you had played the 2 balls that were tied up near the pocket. i would of played the open ball that was near the cluster to open them up. the way you went about it you were pushing all the balls uptable and away from break ball zone.

had you have shot that open ball in the cluster, even though it was a little harder of a shot it would of moved balls in a better direction and you would still have that ball to shoot in the 2 ball cluster near the pocket.

keep up the good work, its paying off !

-Steve

thanks, Steve

my intent on the 14 in the corner was simply to come up off the rail so that i wouldn't be "underneath" the 5. of course, i totally screwed the pooch, ending up nearly frozen to the 13.
pissed me off to have such a simple botched execution end the run. had i executed properly, i could have completed the rack without touching another ball, i liked the 1 for my break

on your other point, your way could very well have worked out.
i went the way i did for a couple of reasons. 1. i liked being able to make the stripe in the corner, without moving the 14, its partner. 2. i liked the 1for my break, and shooting the 13 would have moved balls into the break area, as you suggest, but i wanted to avoid that.

i'm sure a lot of people would not have liked the 1 for the next break, in which case your route would have been preferred. had i chosen your route, i might still be shooting!

thanks for watching- i appreciate the input and encouragement

jim

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks, michael

as i told steve, i completely understand liking the 13 at that juncture. perhaps i was too intent at addressing that pair in the corner.

as to my downfall, it's always the ones you take for granted that bite you in the ass, isn't it?

thank you for watching. And thanks for your excellent instructional videos. my only complaint is that you make it look so damned easy!

running 100 is my goal, so i appreciate the encouragement. maybe someday.............

best regards, jim

Thumbs up to you. Very good run.
I agree with Stevie. I would of shot the 13 ball bumping the 8 ball over. Leaving the 10 ball (the two together) by the lower left corner as an Ins. ball, but the way you went about it was not bad either.
I can see what you were trying to do when you ended up getting yourself stuck. You just wanted to come up to that location and cut one of those balls in but you went to far over and rolled onto that ball. It was an easy shot but like all of us it appeared that you took the shot not being as careful as other shots. Sometimes those easy shots where one thinks it is so easy for position will be get a player in trouble. In this case it did.
Anyways, great run. If you can run 64, then you can run 100. You have a new goal my friend.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Glad to help...

sometimes we get caught up in situations, and that i see you did. you did a good job in resolving the problem there. but what i mean by getting caught up is not looking at options for a better time to solve it, and one that would be more controlled... kinda like tunnel-vision !

Where do you play ? seems like a nice room ?

-Steve

thanks, Steve

my intent on the 14 in the corner was simply to come up off the rail so that i wouldn't be "underneath" the 5. of course, i totally screwed the pooch, ending up nearly frozen to the 13.
pissed me off to have such a simple botched execution end the run. had i executed properly, i could have completed the rack without touching another ball, i liked the 1 for my break

on your other point, your way could very well have worked out.
i went the way i did for a couple of reasons. 1. i liked being able to make the stripe in the corner, without moving the 14, its partner. 2. i liked the 1for my break, and shooting the 13 would have moved balls into the break area, as you suggest, but i wanted to avoid that.

i'm sure a lot of people would not have liked the 1 for the next break, in which case your route would have been preferred. had i chosen your route, i might still be shooting!

thanks for watching- i appreciate the input and encouragement

jim

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
steve,

i play at Shooter's in Southington, CT. it's a nice room, approx 20 GCIII tables, kept in generally good state of repair. the owner of the room is a trick shot artist, so we get to see Mike Massey and co on occasion

the table shown is the only one in the room where i can get a decent video angle (atop the TV hanging in the corner) without having to put the camera on top of the light on the next table.

the "tunnel vision" thing is more applicable to me than most players. several AZB'ers have mentioned that i need to walk around the table more, which i think not only shows me things i wouldn't see otherwise, but forces me to think about other options. it doesn't really come naturally to me (either the thinking or the walking around) but i am making a concerted effort to incorporate it into my game.

thanks for the help

jim

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
c'mon up, steve. just 45 minutes from bridgeport

welcome anytime

jim

Maybe some day soon, of course after i visit with Ron F he is in PA. i have been promissing him a trip for a while. either way i am from Long Island, and its not too far of a trek !

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey steve,

congrats on the Joss win

i knew bristol billiards used to host the Joss tour (i used to watch there- never had the chops to enter), didn't know Shooter's did

this is their website, unfortunately no pics- http://www.originalctshooters.com/home.html

front of the place is an arcade, with the poolroom in the back- 20 GC's

nice place, lots of leagues, lots of nice people

open invitation any time

best regards, jim

"Shooter's" i think that's the room i won a Joss Tourney some years back !!!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Maybe it was Bristol....my memory escapes me it was so long ago, i do remember i played a great tourney of evil 9 ball :rolleyes:

-Steve

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim - On the 64 ball run, what were you trying to do at 24:36 minutes? Were you intending to go around the 1, or go into the balls as you did? I have an ulterior motive for asking the question.

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi dan,

i was not intending to go into the balls as i did, and i got a fortunate result, being able to see the 7. my intent was to go around the 1 as you surmised, giving me a shot at either the 1 or the 7. at that point it was not a great layout, and i struggled the rest of the way through it.

regards, jim

Jim - On the 64 ball run, what were you trying to do at 24:36 minutes? Were you intending to go around the 1, or go into the balls as you did? I have an ulterior motive for asking the question.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi dan,

i was not intending to go into the balls as i did, and i got a fortunate result, being able to see the 7. my intent was to go around the 1 as you surmised, giving me a shot at either the 1 or the 7. at that point it was not a great layout, and i struggled the rest of the way through it.

regards, jim

OK, I noticed something about the shot at 24:36 and the last shot of your run. To me, they are basically the same shot. In the first case you got a good roll and you were able to continue your run, and in the second case you got snookered and ended your inning. In each case the object ball was pretty close to a corner pocket. When most people shoot these shots and miss position they think it is because the shot was so easy they just didn't take the necessary time to play good position. I'm not so sure that is the reason. I think playing position on balls near corner pockets is more difficult than balls more in the open. Think about it: the cue ball is hitting one or two rails immediately after contacting the object ball, and often at a sharp angle. This makes it harder to know where the cue ball is going. Add to that a large contact zone on the object ball. You can hit almost anywhere on the ob and it will still go in (as the ob gets closer and closer to the pocket this becomes more important). So if you miss your aim point a little, you position play will be off that much more.

I'm just trying to make what I think is an important distinction: It's not that we mess up shots like that because they're too easy and we just didn't think. It's more that those shots are easy to pocket, yet are actually difficult to play position on due to the reasons above. I found in my own game that these shots caused me problems, so I worked on them until now I am pretty good with them.

Add to the above that you were pretty stretched out, especially on the 24:36 shot, which tends to make you lose draw if you are not careful on your follow through (at least for me). This could be why you weren't able to get around the 1 ball. That, or the rebound angle on that "easy" shot fooled you.