House of Lords

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just heard that this room, where I played with three of my sons, and from where my mother bought me my first Rich cue, is closing. I don't know where the loyal daytime three cushion and golf players will go now. Please add your memories. HOL1.jpg

HOL2.jpg

HOL3.jpg

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started a thread about it three weeks ago. In another week it will be a dollar store. While I'm in leagues in three other poolrooms I always practice on my days off at House of Lords. Besides billiards there is always a loyal group of oldtimers playing pool every afternoon. I've learned a lot from them.
The management has a list of people who wants to be notified if they find a new location but that doesn't make sense as they're selling all their tables and furniture. All the pictures on the wall and the TV's are gone. When I was there last Tuesday there were 3 less tables.
And where is Jimmy Cooney going to work. EVERYBODY is going to miss him!!!

Attachments

• 1ooney52320129619561_3659648239180954593_n.jpg
    1ooney52320129619561_3659648239180954593_n.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 313

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started a thread about it three weeks ago. In another week it will be a dollar store. While I'm in leagues in three other poolrooms I always practice on my days off at House of Lords. Besides billiards there is always a loyal group of oldtimers playing pool every afternoon. I've learned a lot from them.
The management has a list of people who wants to be notified if they find a new location but that doesn't make sense as they're selling all their tables and furniture. All the pictures on the wall and the TV's are gone. When I was there last Tuesday there were 3 less tables.
And where is Jimmy Cooney going to work. EVERYBODY is going to miss him!!!

When I was a kid I worked in a pool room called "House of Lords" this was in the early 60's. I believe they were either part of a chain or franchised. The tables were their own brand with House of Lords printed on them. They were sort of a lower end copy of a Gold Crown but nice tables. I wonder if this room was part of that old chain? How long was it there?

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it was part of a franchise but I might be wrong.

BTW, I went there earlier today an it was officially closed. Very sad.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I played in a local room in the 60s, where the 4 1/2 x 9 tables WERE the House of Lords brand. Great tables built like tanks. Heavy framed and doweled slates.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this was a thread about the upper house of the UK parliament.

Sad to hear about pool halls closing down, however, surely it is the responsibility of the locals to keep their pool hall open by frequenting it?

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just heard that this room, where I played with three of my sons, and from where my mother bought me my first Rich cue, is closing. I don't know where the loyal daytime three cushion and golf players will go now. Please add your memories

They will end up at Doc's in Bay Shore as the place has just been sold. The new owner will be pumping a nice chunk into fixing it up including putting in a number of billiard tables & a table for golf among other things.

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

They will end up at Doc's in Bay Shore as the place has just been sold. The new owner will be pumping a nice chunk into fixing it up including putting in a number of billiard tables & a table for golf among other things.

Thank you, that is correct. We are putting in the same four billiard tables and the same golf table. We will also have two four and half by nine diamond tables as well as seven gold crowns. The goal is to make the new Bayshore Billiards as comfortable and clean as we possibly can for everyone.

some of my cues will always be on display, but taken home at night.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear about pool halls closing down, however, surely it is the responsibility of the locals to keep their pool hall open by frequenting it?

Probably has nothing what so ever to do with the closing. The building is being converted to another use. I think they said a Dollar Store is moving in. Building may even have been sold some time back and the pool room stayed there from month to month till the time came to be out.

One of our busiest pool rooms here closed a couple of years just because the lease ran out and the property owners had other plans for the property. Nothing is forever, times change.

Last edited: