Break cloth patch

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Pretty simple, if you own a table do you have separate small patch of cloth you put the CB on when you break?

Finally about to get the table recovered and it crossed my mind. It's gonna get marks anyway. But I do break from the same spot most of the time.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Have you thought about not breaking on your home table?
Play straight pool, do drills, do the one pocket prop bet.

The grand touring rooms, back in the day, would not allow rotation games or eight ball
on their main tables...straight pool and one pocket were welcome.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty simple, if you own a table do you have separate small patch of cloth you put the CB on when you break?

Finally about to get the table recovered and it crossed my mind. It's gonna get marks anyway. But I do break from the same spot most of the time.

Yes, every time. Your mechanic can hand you a sashimi of cloth and you can make a bunch of them. The only thing is doesn't protect against is the burn lines from your cue follow through. You can prevent that by hitting the break shot as just a really hard shot with center ball (you get the most energy transfer that way too.)

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the break pad is the dumbest thing ever. Let’s guarantee a screwed up feel on the break to protect the table from looking like a pool table. If you insist on this unecessary thing, just use a piece of paper or the Outsville one. Ruins the break less.

The break pad is a huge pet peeve of mine. Never once seen someone advocate for it that had a good break.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the break pad is the dumbest thing ever. Let’s guarantee a screwed up feel on the break to protect the table from looking like a pool table. If you insist on this unecessary thing, just use a piece of paper or the Outsville one. Ruins the break less.

The break pad is a huge pet peeve of mine. Never once seen someone advocate for it that had a good break.

KMRUNOUT

Break pad? Like there's an actual product that is too thick? I don't even use my outsville ones, just a 2" square piece of Simonis.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

I wonder if it makes the CB jump more or less.

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also hate the way they feel, but if I ever get my table recovered, probably going to utilize one.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually dont bother with one on my home table. I play enough to recover every 3 or 4 years anyway. I use Mercury Ultra....only 100 bucks. 25 bucks a year is minimal cost in my book

It will prevent ball Mark's on the spot you are breaking from. But every time you break, the cue ball WILL leave the table. There is no way to hold the cue butt low enough to prevent it. The cue ball will again contact the cloth in front of the rack, leaving a burn mark.

Here's how I keep them to a minimum. Every few weeks, I change break ends. This is easy on a drop pocket. Kind of a pain in the ass for a ball return table. But it works.

Changing break ends, and with regular vacuuming, the break spots fade over time. So do the track marks from the back of the rack corner balls to the rear cushion. You can practically double your cloth life. Should do the same for the cushions.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I also hate the way they feel, but if I ever get my table recovered, probably going to utilize one.
I've been to pool halls that required you to use break cloths on certain tables. Chris's here in Chicago has a couple of one-pocket-only tables - some good games on 'em most days.

pj
chgo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I've been to pool halls that required you to use break cloths on certain tables. Chris's here in Chicago has a couple of one-pocket-only tables - some good games on 'em most days.

pj
chgo

Break cloths are a pain, but, to each their own.
Pat,
We enjoyed Chris's from 9 til CLOSE Wednesday night! Was awesome, wish you could have stopped by.

Trent from Toledo

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

Absolutely!
It has saved my table.
Especially since I sometimes play while enjoying a "few" beverages!!Haha

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a very thin pad when breaking rotation racks.

Like others, I use one end of table for rotation type games and the other end for 14.1, 1hole etc... It makes a huge difference in how a table plays and breaks. It extends felt life by at least double.

Having said that ^^^^^^, a break pad will mess with your breaking skill if you "always" use a pad. I do two things to keep my 10 ball and AR breaks in check. I will go to a public room and get permission to practice breaking on a designated table.

Also, when I know I'm about to get my table recovered, lol....it's open season on breaking, jumping etc...etc. After the recover, well, it's right back to the pad or public room (with permission).

Jeff

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I've used one before on a bar box and didn't have issues with CB leaving the table. I feel I have a fairly powerful break but I wasn't using a break cue at the time.

My friends who aren't so used to using a break cue seem to launch the CB at least once a night. So maybe a break pad with them wouldn't be such a great idea.

My feeling is just play on it. Maybe I'll start experimenting more with different break spots on the table. I always have the standard spot and stroke.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
should be required on every table. they keep your cloth from being ruined.

if a pool room doesnt care and wants to look like a dump go there and practice your breaks all day long. but at home if you break practice a soft break with the cloth and move your break spot all around.

or do like one of the above buy cheap cloth and let it be ruined.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break from the spot?

When i started playing back in 1980 I always broke off the head spot sticker. Now I use a break cloth. Thus thread makes me feel like buying some sopts and going back to my old routine. Anyone have any downsides to breaking from the soot for practicing at home?
Paul