New Cue English Problem

Misha

I have tried a variety of grips over the years. Just as I did in golf, and baseball before that, and well............all the "important" sports.

I use a slip stroke for the same reason a golfer uses a good follow through. You cannot spin the ball with a "punch" type shot easily. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it's easier to stay in stroke with the cue accelerating at impact. And, you can only accelerate ONCE. Think about it.

For a quick experiment, do your usual draw with your firmer grip. Next, try a very loose grip and think: "flinging" it at the line of stroke. It's not quite what I mean, but you get the idea.

Also, one of the above posters I agree with says that it's harder to draw with a larger tip than a smaller one. Why? I really can't say. <my guess is your tip is not shaped perfectly and you are contacting the ball much higher than you realize> To fix this, shape your tip to a dime radius, and then go so low on the cue ball that it scoops, and then move up a hair. Also, it's very likely you don't have a grooved stroke and you are lifting the cue tip (dropping the butt) on the follow through, which makes it the same thing. JMHO, of course.

Misha

Sorry!

After checking out my post from yesterday, I see I may have stepped on my pecker by posting in the Instructors area.:(

Although I do give many lessons a week to mostly beginners and mid level players, I don't charge and I'm not (nor intend to become) BCA certified.

If I'm in somebody else's space I don't belong, somebody please PM me or say it here is fine.

Again, sorry.......I'll be more careful where I post in the future.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I think most of the instructors who post here would agree that we often learn new things from our students. Learning is learning. We gather knowledge!!! Over the years, I have heard a lot of things that, when closely studied, turned out to be less than accurate, but at the same time, I have picked up many good tidbits from many sources.

Steve

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shape the tip for one thing.............

Just recieved new Barnhart cue with 13 mm aegis ferrule & everist tip. Shot with Meucci Black Dot 12.75mm soft tip previous 6 months, cuetec 13mm soft tip previous 4 yrs. Can draw ball well with meucci & cuetec but have trouble with follow shots. Barnhart follows fantastic better than I ever could but I'm struggleing to draw like I can with the others. Tip ? Taper ? Me ? I love the Barnhart if I can't fix this I'll just avoid draw shots ! Thanks in advance for any Help

Hi there,

Make sure your tip is not flat. I like to have it like a dime. Just recently you were shooting with a 12.75 shaft. Now you are shooting with a 13.00 mm shaft. The thinner the shaft the easier it is to draw or apply the english. The 13mm will still get you there but the softer tip would help.

Have a great day Geno...........

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The cue stick doesn't draw the ball, you do.....SPF=randyg

almost every time i could fall in love in you for such a posting- ROTFL
isn t possible to give a even more exactly answer
:rotflmao:

lg

Ingo

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
almost every time i could fall in love in you for such a posting- ROTFL
isn t possible to give a even more exactly answer
:rotflmao:

lg

Ingo

The cue stick is a piece of wood with a piece of leather on the end. It doesn't do anything other than what you make it do. There are some things you should to to your cue to make it an effective tool, such as keeping the tip properly shaped, but the bottom line is that it is a tool. In the right hands, it will work just fine. In the wrong hands...it won't.

Steve