Cue and case buying and selling!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I’ve been giving this idea some thought since I’m a regular reader/poster on AZ Forums and I’d like some opinions about players spending more time on their equipment than on improving their game.

I see adds in the wanted/for sale section for cues and cases, many by the same posters, and it made me wonder if a lot of players are putting too much attention on what cue they play with and how nice a case they can take to the pool room instead of how they can learn to play better. I’ll admit I had the bug myself and I bought and sold a lot of cues and cases, but I’ve realized that I wasn’t putting the time into improving my game like I should have instead of flipping cues. Since I’ve slowed down my cue addiction and stuck with one or two cues to play with my game has improved, but it did take some time for me to learn what type of cue worked the best for me.

I’d like to hear some others opinions on this……

James

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue & Case buying and selling!

Many of those regularly offering pool equipment (mainly cues) are re-sellers on a commercial basis, either storefront or internet sellers and use the Forum as another selling opportunity.
F.Y.I.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think that people just do what they do for their own reasons. Some people are searching for the "perfect" cue and buying and selling and trading is a way to try out all sorts of cues without investing a lot into acquiring a lot of cues.

Other people just like to collect cues. Some people just like to be able to say that they owned X-brand and are familiar with it when the topic comes up.

Cases are mostly eye candy, like walking in with a gorgeaus woman on your arm or a pretty boy if you're a woman. Most people could care less about the protection and jsut want something that looks good to them and hopefully to everyone else in the poolroom as well.

I doubt that a lot of folks are depending on cases to help them with their game. I think that a lot of folks to expect cues to help them and for some people the cue does help. I own a lot of cues and shafts and I know which ones I feel most comfortable with and which ones I leave at home. That's not to say that I truly play better with one I like vs. one I don't like but I certainly feel like I do and not thinking about how uncomfortable I am with the cue has it's benefits I think.

Qstix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that many players could play well with many different cues, maybe they make all the same shots but just like the feel of one cue over another.

It's new and exicting whenever you get a new cue/case.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I own a lot of cues and shafts and I know which ones I feel most comfortable with and which ones I leave at home. That's not to say that I truly play better with one I like vs. one I don't like but I certainly feel like I do and not thinking about how uncomfortable I am with the cue has it's benefits I think.
The mental part of pool is huge and if you think that you play better with a certain cue then you probably do.

One thing that has changed my ideas on shafts is trying and getting used to Low Deflection shafts. I thought at first they were a gimmick to sell after market shafts, but I later learned that they do deflect less and they have improved my game. I first tried a Predator 314 to see what all of the hype was about and once I got used to playing with it I wasn't comfortable playing with my regular shafts anymore and I now leave my solid maple shafts (I have many with ivory ferrules that are perfect) at home. I wonder sometimes if I should have stayed away from low deflection shafts and stuck with the nice shafts that came with my cues, but on the other side of this is the fact that if I ever had to sell one of my cues they all have perfect shafts to add to their value.

James

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the LD shafts aren't a gimmick, but I think the main reason for them would be transferrability. You can put a Predator shaft on any cue, and the characteristics of that cue will be very similar, not exact, but small enough that you can comfortably adjust. Deflection is all about getting used to your cue. I play with a 40 year old cue that deflects a ton, but I am used to it so I know where to aim.

As far as buying and selling cues, there are two different schools of thought in my opinion. There are those who enjoy collecting cues, and those who are looking for the "perfect" cue. I have seen a correlation with collectors that those who have a large collection generally don't play as well as those who only have one cue. That could be because those who have enough money to purchase many cues have a good job and can't practice as much as someone with a $400 cue and a great deal of free time.

Those who are looking for the "perfect" cue believe that there is something out there that will make them play like a pro. I see many times that when someone buys the new cue they initially play better, but soon fall back to their "regular" speed. I believe this is because they concentrate better upon initially playing with something new. When this goes away, they begin the search for the new cue that will make them play better.

If they would concentrate more on the practice and internal aspects of the game, I believe they would over time increase in ability more than the little bit of heightened sense they acheive with a new cue.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a ton of cues(for other reasons-not looking for a player is what I mean), But I decided I wanted to play some with most of them just to experience them, after about a year of playing with lots of cues I came across a cue that I felt like I was playing much better with than the player I was using. I kept playing mostly with my player but was still going through the collection to esperience them, about 4 cues of around 40 or 50 really stood out.

So I decided to bust out my retired players(I kept all of them but one over the years) and the 4 other cues that had what I call "magic" in them. I set up a series of shots and kept records of which cue I pocketed the highest % of balls with, got shape within a zone most often, and one cue the numbers were much higher than any of the other cues. So I switched and its been my daily player since. It dosent work with the heavy CB on a BB, but on the fast equipment we now have it brought the best out of me.

Thats my theory, the cue dont make the player, however some cues can bring the best out of any player at any skill level(except pros who can make anything work-in most cases). I also believe the less natural talent a player has the more sensitive they are to equipment in general.

So buying and selling cues is fine but take notes until you get to the cue that "Brings the best out of you". Forget what it looks like, infact I wish the cue that brings the best out of me wasnt so fancy. I have awalys liked player looking player cues and used them. and keep the fancy stuff at home.

Last edited:

troyroy78

I can average 2 ball's :)
Silver Member
I think when i 1st started i just wanted a good cue to start playing with rather than a house cue. But later on as my game got better the more i researched on the net and through magazines the more i started thinking about upgrading to another cue.

Well after going through some production cues and collector cues i have personally managed to get to a place in terms of i know what i like. I tried the LD thing and i think its great, nothing wrong with it, just depends on the type of person and their game style.

Now after 12 years of collecting i have come to settle with southwest. i think its a mix of brand and playability which makes me like it so much.

However i fel that i could of saved myself a lot of money if i had just focused on basics and not get to focused on equipment. What can i say ? boys have to have toys :)

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you are right that many people go buying a few (or a lot) of cues looking for that 'one' that will make them better. When in fact it probably won't, what would make them better, in most cases, would be more practice, better practice and positive thoughts. As for cases I posted earlier on another thread, I simply cannot justify paying many hundreds of dollars for a case. I therefore looked for what I thought was great protection at a great price and not bad looking either. I therefore went out and bought the Sterling Wave.

However if someone has the money to spend on limitless cues or cases made of the most exotic materials that's absolutely their right and choice. IMagine the state Pool Suppliers would be in if everybody bought only once of each piece of equipment in their lifetime. There would be one or two huge dealers and no competition and prices would rise significantly IMO.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Cue & case...quite a subject. In recent times, my playing cue was a Jacoby plain jane cocobolo, carried it and a taiwan "Palmer" sneaky as a break cue, all in a Porper 2X2.

Then I sold my collector car...

So, guess it was a boy wanting a toy thing. I bought a nice pantograph done 4 point (sharp points) nicely veneered Josey with 2 shafts. Then I called Jack Justis and he made a nice 3X5 "pro lite" for me. IIRC, around $850 for the case.

I carry this to the hall I play in...

For bar play in this fairly rough small town? A cheap painted Viper carried in a tube case...

I once picked up a pawn shop plain jane McDermott in a porper case to use as a trunk cue. After my wife played with it, it has replaced her adam
cue...The viper doubles as my trunk cue. ;)

Last edited:

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My game would have been exceptionally better if I never got bit by the custom cue bug. very first cue was a Huebler, then Schon, then South West.

When I started out, the Schon was more than enough cue for me. But like another poster said, "boys and toys" It just got outta control.

I think all the $$ spent in finding the perfect cue, I could have placed in pool instruction (fundamentals) and gambling (mental toughness) < my game would have been on a total different level.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Most people could care less about the protection and jsut want something that looks good to them and hopefully to everyone else in the poolroom as well.

I like both where protection is more important than looks. My GTF does that well plus its as classy as you can get. I don't want my cues smacking together with a small piece of nylon or fuzzy material between them.
Kinda like my deodorant, I want it to smell nice but protect me as well.

The case bug hasn't totally hit me yet as eventually I will treat myself to one higher end cue than I use now,
then, I'n sure I'm going for the gusto.

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
My game would have been exceptionally better if I never got bit by the custom cue bug. very first cue was a Huebler, then Schon, then South West.

When I started out, the Schon was more than enough cue for me. But like another poster said, "boys and toys" It just got outta control.

I think all the $$ spent in finding the perfect cue, I could have placed in pool instruction (fundamentals) and gambling (mental toughness) < my game would have been on a total different level.

This is exactly what I meant when I started this thread. I couldn't agree with you more........

James

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I bought a ton of cues(for other reasons-not looking for a player is what I mean), But I decided I wanted to play some with most of them just to experience them, after about a year of playing with lots of cues I came across a cue that I felt like I was playing much better with than the player I was using. I kept playing mostly with my player but was still going through the collection to esperience them, about 4 cues of around 40 or 50 really stood out.

So I decided to bust out my retired players(I kept all of them but one over the years) and the 4 other cues that had what I call "magic" in them. I set up a series of shots and kept records of which cue I pocketed the highest % of balls with, got shape within a zone most often, and one cue the numbers were much higher than any of the other cues. So I switched and its been my daily player since. It dosent work with the heavy CB on a BB, but on the fast equipment we now have it brought the best out of me.

Thats my theory, the cue dont make the player, however some cues can bring the best out of any player at any skill level(except pros who can make anything work-in most cases). I also believe the less natural talent a player has the more sensitive they are to equipment in general.

So buying and selling cues is fine but take notes until you get to the cue that "Brings the best out of you". Forget what it looks like, infact I wish the cue that brings the best out of me wasnt so fancy. I have awalys liked player looking player cues and used them. and keep the fancy stuff at home.

Thanks for the interesting post Eric. You make some good points.....

James

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue & Case buying & selling!

For whatever reason, a person that buys (and doesn't sell), more than a couple cues, that person is a potential "collector". If that "potential" collector has the $$$ to continue to buy (and upgrade) his "collection", he is either an "investor" or a compulsive person that likes to constantly accumulate whatever items he likes! This thread response sounds like there are many out there that are "collectors" !