13mm's makes no sense.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
Since when did 13mm for a shaft become a "standard" or was considered "full size"? IMO its pretty stupid to order a custom cue with full size shafts knowing fully well that you're not going to play with them - but not getting them would affect the resale value.

As far as I'm concerned, a shaft no matter what diameter as long as it was turned by the cue maker is ok.

mmedford

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually like a 11.75mm & 12.75/13mm shafts available to me when I play...different tables, cloth, temps/humidity, etc..

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since when did 13mm for a shaft become a "standard" or was considered "full size"? IMO its pretty stupid to order a custom cue with full size shafts knowing fully well that you're not going to play with them - but not getting them would affect the resale value.

As far as I'm concerned, a shaft no matter what diameter as long as it was turned by the cue maker is ok.
IMO 13 represents the largest diameter that is likely to be used by anyone. Therefore, if you are buying a cue as an investment, you want shafts that any potential buyer would consider, if he/she were going to possibly play the cue. Obviously, a shaft's diameter can always be reduced, but a 12.5 would be rejected by anyone wanting to play at 12.8.

If you're buying a cue to play with, and not going to worry about resale, then of course you would just buy the diameter you prefer.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Shaft taper is just as important as shaft diameter, but I think lot of players (myself) prefer a little less than 13 mm.
From a collector or resale standpoint, shafts that have been turned down kill the value.
13 mm isn't necessarily the standard depending on the cuemaker, and if both shafts were ordered let's say around 12.75, I don't think it hurts the value that much.
I don't even know the diameter of the shaft on my player.
It's old & original, less than 13, but I like it, as does everybody who hits with it.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1968-ish...

Exactly how many people do you know for sure have committed the
above mentioned unpardonable sin of extreme misjudgement and stupidity?

But more to the point - exactly WHY do you care?

BTW - are you aware you sound like a refugee from Talk Radio?

Dale(a fan of listener radio)

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
13 mm is the gold standard for how big a shaft is more than likely going to start out. People order them all different sizes but when it comes to the secondary market, shaft size is the biggest knock card in the deck. It doesnt matter if someone plays with an 11 mm and is looking at a cue with 12.25 mm shafts, the price is going to be effected. Its just like a Honda with 300K miles, it probably runs perfect but the high mileage is a key factor in negotiation. Take two identical Southwest cues for example, there are tons out there but one with two 13 mm shafts is going to be more desireable than one with two 12 mm shafts even if they were done by Southwest.

There is also a big difference when someone orders a cue to play with or orders a cue to flip. Any cue I have ever ordered to play with I had one shaft made 13 mm and the other one the diameter I wanted to pay with.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
13mm is the usual starting point from which people evolve into cue sports. 13mm is fat, stable and forgiving. The reason I could see why this would affect the resale value of a cue is that a novice would be purchasing the cue and is not ready for a smaller diameter tip.

There are literally hundreds of articles about tip diameter out there and on AZB. My personal feeling is that it is usually an advanced player making the decision to have a shaft turned down. It allows for more action to get the little white ball where we need it to be. It's a balancing act with the tip diameter, the tip you use and the rigidity of the shaft you use. Takes time to find the sweet spot.

My favorite basic set up is a predator Z shaft (11.75mm), standard length with either an Everest or Kamui Black Medium tip on it.

Regards,

Lesh

thekaiserman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why not just buy an extra shaft the desired size and save the 13mm for when resale is considered.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
well..

I have a custom cue that has 2 - 13mm shafts?? I like the way they play and knew 'fully well' that I would play with them. I guess the question is when you buy a custom cue are you buyng it for a player or buying it fo resale.. i'm still confused why it's stupid to order a new cue with a 13mm shaft,

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I love 13mm now that I have a sugartree, IMHO comfort comes more from taper than MM. Plus all this bs of you can get more spin/english with small tip is just retarded...

-Drew

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a 13MM shaft and can draw and put just about any type of English/spin on the CB as a see fit with the best of them. I also have no problem hitting extreme edges of the CB.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I play with 13mm. But then I can pick up a basketball one handed...skinny shafts just feel weird to me when using a closed bridge.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I like ferrules @13mm new, especially ivory less prone to cracking. The shaft area will wear down with play and cleaning choices to where one likes it, mine after twenty yrs, never abrasively cleaned is 12.5....ferrule now just under thirteen.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
IMO 13 represents the largest diameter that is likely to be used by anyone. Therefore, if you are buying a cue as an investment, you want shafts that any potential buyer would consider, if he/she were going to possibly play the cue. Obviously, a shaft's diameter can always be reduced, but a 12.5 would be rejected by anyone wanting to play at 12.8.

If you're buying a cue to play with, and not going to worry about resale, then of course you would just buy the diameter you prefer.
That's a pretty accurate assessment of shaft sizes and i agree with you. When I buy a new cue I don't want the shafts to be smaller than 12.8mm and I usually don't play with them anyway. I've been using Predator LD shafts for years so the original shafts are put away to maintain the resale value of the cue.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why not just buy an extra shaft the desired size and save the 13mm for when resale is considered.

How many cues have you heard of that were sold on the basis of having one unplayed shaft? I've heard this for years and have never found it to be true. Most of the cues I've sold have had at least two shafts, both/all of them played with and I've never had someone tell me: "Gee, if one shaft hadn't been played with, I'd buy it but since they've both/all been played with, I'll pass."

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
13 mm is the gold standard for how big a shaft is more than likely going to start out. People order them all different sizes but when it comes to the secondary market, shaft size is the biggest knock card in the deck. It doesnt matter if someone plays with an 11 mm and is looking at a cue with 12.25 mm shafts, the price is going to be effected. Its just like a Honda with 300K miles, it probably runs perfect but the high mileage is a key factor in negotiation. Take two identical Southwest cues for example, there are tons out there but one with two 13 mm shafts is going to be more desireable than one with two 12 mm shafts even if they were done by Southwest.

There is also a big difference when someone orders a cue to play with or orders a cue to flip. Any cue I have ever ordered to play with I had one shaft made 13 mm and the other one the diameter I wanted to pay with.

This better explains what I was attempting to convey. To me, short of abuse or damage, a cue shouldn't lose it's value after it has been played. Shafts to me are somewhat disposable in nature, and shouldn't have a great impact on cue value. Unless of course they're no good and replacements are unavailable.

Collectable cues after all, are supposed to be functional works of art. I don't think using them should cause devaluation to a great degree.

Last edited: