Why would new shaft wobble on one butt but not the other?

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a brand new 30” predator 314 shaft with 3/8x10 threads and when I put it on my McDermott 29” butt it wobbles bad. When I put the shaft on my custom sneaky Pete 30” butt it rolls fine. So I wanted to test my theory that this is due to the mismatch in butt vs shaft length and I had another 30” shaft from before and yet I can put it on either butt and it rolls straight. Is this a facing issue on the collar? So odd.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt collar and the shaft collar size have to be relatively close for the cue to roll somewhat straight.

Mario

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If one shaft rolls straight on both, but the other shaft rolls straight on only one then I would guess it is not a facing issue, but is a tightness of threads issue. On the big pin cues if the threads are too tight it will not allow the faces to meet up correctly if either the pin or inside threads are not dead straight. If the threads are not so tight even with a slight misalignment it will still allow the faces to join up correctly.

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses, yeah I called a retailer today and they said they tend to see this on McDermott’s quite a bit. I’m guessing McDermott may use a slightly different pin thread thickness because the predator shaft going on the McDermott is very tight and that’s the one that wobbles.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses, yeah I called a retailer today and they said they tend to see this on McDermott’s quite a bit. I’m guessing McDermott may use a slightly different pin thread thickness because the predator shaft going on the McDermott is very tight and that’s the one that wobbles.

Predator shafts have their threads machined in phenolic, phenolic has less "give" than wood threads or the nylon type insert McDermott uses.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
make sure the hole in the shaft has a nice chamfer ......... sometimes that will cause a cue to roll off a little............. especially if the threads are tight or off a little

Kim