Rule Clarification

sky..

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_141.shtml

Under 6.7.3 there's a chart, I don't quite understand the "15th ball lies not behind Head String, and not in the Rack" What does that mean? From what I understand, that means the 15th ball is not in the rack, and not in the kitchen. If so, that's what, roughly 70% of the table?

Edit: Also, can someone explain this "A player may call a safety rather than an object ball (for defensive purposes). Safety play is legal, but must comply with all applicable rules." Is it like a push from 9ball?

Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
man, i'm just plain stupid because i don't understand that whole diagram!!!!!!!!!!!!

sky..

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
man, i'm just plain stupid because i don't understand that whole diagram!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, the whole diagram was just hard to understand. I stared at it for a couple of hours before I figured it out.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
sky.. said:

Under 6.7.3 there's a chart, I don't quite understand the "15th ball lies not behind Head String, and not in the Rack" What does that mean? From what I understand, that means the 15th ball is not in the rack, and not in the kitchen. If so, that's what, roughly 70% of the table?

Edit: Also, can someone explain this "A player may call a safety rather than an object ball (for defensive purposes). Safety play is legal, but must comply with all applicable rules." Is it like a push from 9ball?

First part: yes, that's right. They had to put that rule there because there is a special case where the cueball will be put on the head spot. That is when the cueball is in the rack area and the object ball is not in the kitchen and not in the rack area. If the object ball would be in either area, the cueball wouldn't be on head spot. I think the diagram is quite clear, although could've been done even better.

Safety shot in straight pool is just like a shot without any nominations made. The object ball is spotted and there is no score nor foul on the shot. The following sentence in that particular rule should clarify the safety shot: "The player’s inning ends when a safety is played, and pocketed balls are not scored. Any object ball pocketed on a called safety is spotted." The part "must comply with all applicaple rules" just means that all rules of a legal shot apply here: a cueball has to hit a ball and a ball has to hit a rail or be pocketed after the contact just like in the general rules of pocket billiards. If the requirements of a legal shot are not met, the shot is a foul and regular 14.1 rules on fouls apply.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sky.. said:

Here is the text from the revised world standardized rules. Some think the table is easier to understand.

4.8 Special Racking Situations

When the cue ball or 15th object ball interferes with racking 14 balls
for a new rack, the following special rules apply. A ball is considered
to interfere with the rack if it is within or overlaps the outline of
the rack. The referee will state when asked whether a ball interferes
with the rack or not.

(a.) If the 15th ball was pocketed on the shot that scored the 14th
ball, all 15 balls are re-racked.

(b.) If both balls interfere, all 15 balls are re-racked and the cue
ball is in hand behind the head string.

(c.) If only the object ball interferes, it is placed on the head spot
or the center spot if the cue ball blocks the head spot.

(d.) If only the cue ball interferes, then it is placed as follows: if
the object ball is in front of the head string, the cue ball is in hand
behind the head string; if the object ball is behind the head string,
the cue ball is spotted on the head spot, or on the center spot if the
head spot is blocked.

In any case, there is no restriction on which object ball the shooter
may play as the first shot of the new rack.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
well at least THAT makes sense.

i guess someone decided to update in english.

Last edited:

sky..

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all. I got another one.

"CUE BALL AFTER JUMPING OFF TABLE/SCRATCH
Incoming player has cue ball in hand behind the head string, unless the provision of Rule of Play 6.7.2, 6.7.5 or 6.12 (below) apply to the offender’s foul and dictate alternate choices or procedures."

When this happens, can I shoot objects balls that are also behind the headstring? Or I need to shoot something in front?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
sky, I do believe you have to shoot at something in front of the headstring if something exists. If not I believe you have to shoot at the ball nearest the end rail behind the headstring. If both balls behind the headstring are touching the rail, I recall you have the choice as the incoming player. Of course a resulting situation which I'm also unsure of would be ... as the incoming player, if the situation was only two balls left behind the headstring and your opponent on one scratch, my first thought would be to pocket the cue ball intentionally forcing him to shoot over the headstring and back or go on two fouls.

That can happen easily if for example only two balls are on the table, both behind the headstring and one is slightly blocking the path to the other which is pocketable in one of the upper corner pockets. The player attempts to jump the partially blocking ball and jumps the cue off the table. I think the incoming player can shoot directly at one of these two balls that remain behind the headstring I don't think he has to spot one (but maybe) :( . I'm not sure if its in hand or from the headspot. I think pocketing the cue ball intentionally in this case results in the original offender having to shoot over the headstring and back.

Maybe all these can be cleared up rare as they are. :)

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sky.. said:

Incoming player has cue ball in hand behind the head string, unless the provision of Rule of Play 6.7.2, 6.7.5 or 6.12 (below) apply to the offender’s foul and dictate alternate choices or procedures."

When this happens, can I shoot objects balls that are also behind the headstring? Or I need to shoot something in front?
At 14.1, with ball in hand behind the headstring, you are never permitted to play directly at a ball behind the headstring. You are permitted to play on balls behind the headstring if the cue ball crosses the headstring before hitting them.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
sky.. said:

7. When a player has the cue ball in hand behind the head string (as after a scratch) and all the object balls are behind the head string, the object ball nearest the head string may be spotted upon request. If two or more balls are an equal distance from the head string, the player may designate which of the equidistant balls is to be spotted.

"The salvation lies within" -Quote from Shawshank Redemption ;)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Ah, I knew there was something to do with the balls nearest the endrail. Sorry for thinking they could be in play from there sky. I got confused with the cue ball ending up in the rack and being spotted when the 15th object ball was behind the headstring. Then you can shoot directly at it. My bad.

Not a bad rule perhaps though :) It wouldn't penalize the incoming player as much.