Aiming systems BALOGNA

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
people really use mumbo jumbo Whatever aiming system in tournament's ? The idea of a pro needing or using an aiming system that's identifiable is laughable. Your great and dont miss because u practice 6 hrs a day or more for 10 20 30 yrs.
If u need an "aiming system" to pocket balls at that point something is seriously wrong with your mental capacity.

Everything is Instinct and automatic. Look at the ball...make the ball. Lights out .....no thought needed.

What's the deal with people pushing these aiming systems? Do they have an agenda? Are they trying to make money by causing confusion?

Just some thoughts.

Most amateurs need an aim lesson if not a system--they aim to false pocket centers.

Some aim systems really help some students "shoot the lights out" as it's not automatic for everyone.

If what you say is true, have you ever given a lesson to a new or struggling player? Were they able to "automatically shoot the lights out" after you showed them how simple aim is?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think of it this way. Everyone has an approach to aiming. That approach goes from something that initially takes conscious effort and later on becomes more instinctive. Even when it’s instinctive, there’s still an approach to it. Dropping your focus, going too willynilly and skipping your preshot routine can cost you the cheddar.

During the conscious phase of learning to aim, there’s advice people can take from others to build into their approach. It can be as abstract as ghost ball or mathematical as stick/ball overlap fractions. Whatever it is, it helps people get started. Every system has at least one person saying it improved their game. I believe them. And what works for one person doesn’t sit well with another. That’s okay. No system should advertise it’ll make you as good as a pro. And it’s okay to roll your eyes at any that do but you might as well let them have their fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New shooters I tell them to not even try to make a ball the first week. Just practice striking the whitey clean with no english. If they don't wanna do that I tel them they gonna have a hell of a time being more than a banger. All other instruction is pointless if they can't get consistent mechanics and hit the cueball clean

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a drop stroke most of the time. But new players I tell them to stand however is comfy as long as they feel balanced and its in line with the shot...use the back elbow as a pedulum and don't drop it lIke i do. Get a solid bridge that's comfortable open or,closed I don't care. And just practice hitting the cue ball. And stroking straight. Players that do this right away. Are way ahead of the game when u start getting into aim and speed control

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New shooters I tell them to not even try to make a ball the first week. Just practice striking the whitey clean with no english. If they don't wanna do that I tel them they gonna have a hell of a time being more than a banger. All other instruction is pointless if they can't get consistent mechanics and hit the cueball clean

Having fun is an important part of learning and NO beginner is going to have any fun hitting the cue ball alone for a week. I hear people talk about doing that but I think it's mostly hot air, except maybe in your case. They want to impress people with their Zen approach to learning better than anyone else could. "I wasn't allowed to touch the cue ball for a year and then I had to meditate on the ball colors blindfolded and hung upside down and then after 5 years I was allowed to pocket a ball so that means I'm a much better player than you even though I suck. Oh, and I put myself through college playing pool, too." lol.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Having fun is an important part of learning and NO beginner is going to have any fun hitting the cue ball alone for a week. I hear people talk about doing that but I think it's mostly hot air, except maybe in your case. They want to impress people with their Zen approach to learning better than anyone else could. "I wasn't allowed to touch the cue ball for a year and then I had to meditate on the ball colors blindfolded and hung upside down and then after 5 years I was allowed to pocket a ball so that means I'm a much better player than you even though I suck. Oh, and I put myself through college playing pool, too." lol.

I'm still waiting for Lowe's aiming video.
Didn't he say he was making one ?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are funny. Practice and game play are two different things. If all you ever do is play games without practice...your not gonna improve like you should. And if all you ever do is practice. You'll probably fold up in gameplay.
I'm not stupid guys I'm 40 and have played for more than 30 yrs . I know what's going on. And if a poil virgin toughs it out and practices just hitting the cueball for 20 min here and there for a week. Trust me they are gonna smoke the guy that got all confused right away with CTE and English. When they start getting into the other aspects of the game

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can see the chalk dust poof off the tip just as you make contact with the cue ball, you're focusing just about close enough.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
You guys are funny. Practice and game play are two different things. If all you ever do is play games without practice...your not gonna improve like you should. And if all you ever do is practice. You'll probably fold up in gameplay.
I'm not stupid guys I'm 40 and have played for more than 30 yrs . I know what's going on. And if a poil virgin toughs it out and practices just hitting the cueball for 20 min here and there for a week. Trust me they are gonna smoke the guy that got all confused right away with CTE and English. When they start getting into the other aspects of the game

We're glad you could inlighten us....most of us here don't quite understand all this aiming stuff. :)

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had vids on youtube

About five years ago I had two vids on youtube talking about some different stuff in 9 ball. One of them was a 4 pack that I scratched on the break in the fifth game. And then ran another 4 racks before scratching again. I was trying to get a 10 pack on film. And just kinda was talkng my way throu the racks and giving my thought process. You learn alot filming yourself.

But I got my identity stole and decided to erase all my profiles and change all my emails and a bunch of other stuff. If I had my old phone I'd have that video. I'm not that consistant anymore. I quit playing for 3 years. And,when corona hit I started playing and,getting back into it. I'm not against systems for aiming. But,honestly I can't use them. All I'll do is miss easy shots if I try to use some kind of system. They just don't jive with me.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About five years ago I had two vids on youtube talking about some different stuff in 9 ball. One of them was a 4 pack that I scratched on the break in the fifth game. And then ran another 4 racks before scratching again. I was trying to get a 10 pack on film. And just kinda was talkng my way throu the racks and giving my thought process. You learn alot filming yourself.

But I got my identity stole and decided to erase all my profiles and change all my emails and a bunch of other stuff. If I had my old phone I'd have that video. I'm not that consistant anymore. I quit playing for 3 years. And,when corona hit I started playing and,getting back into it. I'm not against systems for aiming. But,honestly I can't use them. All I'll do is miss easy shots if I try to use some kind of system. They just don't jive with me.

I think most people agree with you that you shouldn't have to think about aiming when pocketing balls. You just see it after awhile.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The vast majority of pool players are not pros nor aspire to be such and do not have 6 hours a day to practice nor would they if they did.

For this market things that help you visualize the shot line more effectively has value.

Who gives a damn about the pros? If the pool cue, accessory or training industries relied on the spending of pros they would have disappeared long ago. Pool is a fun game and amateurs who enjoy it are looking for techniques to help them be better. Not pros but better.

Aiming systems are useful in this capacity.

Excellent post.:thumbup:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never get ‘aiming systems’.

I mostly play snooker and can usually pot a 8’ shot into a 3.5 inch ‘difficult’ snooker pocket....and I’m not ever a ‘great’ player.

I have never used any formal ‘aiming’ system. No more than when I pick up a rock and try to hit a tree trunk.

Over 65,000 posts an getting a 2.25 ball into a hole twice it’s size from a few feet. It would make a good Monty Python skit.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
...One of them was a 4 pack that I scratched on the break in the fifth game. And then ran another 4 racks before scratching again...

That sounds vaguely familiar. Did you play Melinda in Vegas a few years ago after matching up on here? Could be a coincidence I suppose.