Secrets of pool hustling.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is hustling still alive in pool? If I see someone playing good I can take a video and post it online. How does that person hustle if I know who he is and such? One quick google away and I can find out Efren Reyes is Cesar Morales for example.

I will have to check out is hustling is a thing at bowling.

Because the hustler isn't going to start playing really strong. You say you're going to take a picture or a video and post it online, and then what? You expect everyone to tell you exactly who he is? What if he doesn't play in any tourneys? The best "hustler" is going to be the guy you run into at a bar and y'all start playing for a beer. At the end of the night he may win a couple hundred and his bar tab, all the while having you think you all are pals and having a great time.

But now in your case, since you only withdraw $8 at a time, you can totally disregard everything I just said. He wouldn't waste 2 mins on you after you tell him you don't tip, let alone gamble. :wink:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the hustler isn't going to start playing really strong. You say you're going to take a picture or a video and post it online, and then what? You expect everyone to tell you exactly who he is? What if he doesn't play in any tourneys? The best "hustler" is going to be the guy you run into at a bar and y'all start playing for a beer. At the end of the night he may win a couple hundred and his bar tab, all the while having you think you all are pals and having a great time.

But now in your case, since you only withdraw $8 at a time, you can totally disregard everything I just said. He wouldn't waste 2 mins on you after you tell him you don't tip, let alone gamble. :wink:

Don't take my word for it take CJ wiley's word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VupkFC7YPH0

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool hustling has been dead for a lon time. It didn't die from cel phones
or the internet. Economics drove road players to get lobs. In the 50's , 60's , 70's
gas was cheap, motel rooms were under $10 a nite. Many pool rooms were
open 24/7 and people with a job that played pool had disposable income.
The 'nut' on the road per day was cheap and there were many bars with
pool tables as well as lots of pool rooms.
The 70's saw two 'gas increases ' ( phony as far as I saw ) , players with jobs
losing their 'disposable' income and leaving the pool room, and the ;nut'
skyrocketing to 5-10 times what it was in the 60's and early 70's.
I didn't play pool in the 80's due to back problems and when I started again
in 89', players in local rooms were betting less than we did in the 70's !
The art of hustling pool all but disappeared. There were still a few 'road players'
around but not many. Players didn't know what 'playing a pattern ' on someone
meant ( player A is a 3 ball runner-you play 3-4 ball runner pool ).Or 'playing over your thumbs' ( open hand bridge only and make it look bad ). Players didn't know how to 'manage' people anymore ( pool hustling is about 'people management ).
You don't have to be the best player in the room, just the best player in the game while you have convinced your opponent that he is the best player.
Good luck
Pushout forever
PS
BB! How was it when you got action because they thought you were Ricky ? lol
THE NUTZ !!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
How is hustling still alive in pool? If I see someone playing good I can take a video and post it online. How does that person hustle if I know who he is and such? One quick google away and I can find out Efren Reyes is Cesar Morales for example.

I will have to check out is hustling is a thing at bowling.

You might want to get a chocolate flavored phone. Record the wrong person and you may end up eating your phone.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When was the last time you checked your mail? Review it. Look for phrases like "pay this amount".

Meant to reply to this. What do you mean by "pay this amount" I don't think I have gotten anything like that. I get very little mail. Most is junk mail like coupons for burger kind and subway and mail order checks.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hustling is as old as time and will be with us as long as mankind. It evolves, it changes, it never goes away.

I watched that video long ago waiting for Jimmy to admit it was all BS. He never did. My opinion, the greatest hustle he ever pulled was catching a young Ewa!

Hu

Best answer on here! Someone just hustled/hacked some of the biggest Twitter accounts (Bill Gates, Elon Musk and others) and made a quick 100K+ score. No one knows how it happened and it took hours for Twitter to put a stop to it. That's what "hustling" looks like in 2020.

To answer the OP's original question about pool hustling. YES, it still exists! I've seen large five figure scores (and maybe a couple were six figures in total) made in the last few years by one player/team outsmarting another. Dippy Dave got taken off for a healthy six figures by two very high profile and well known player/gamblers. He's not the only one who's got his tit in the wringer either. I can think of a couple of others who have gone off for six figures whose names I won't mention on here. And look what happened to our man Barton when he got his nose open. I think he's still paying that one off.

As for me, I thought I was scam proof and I got taken for $600 in an online scam recently.

P.S. I did enjoy the video though. Jimmy always was a smooth talker. He would make speeches like that around the poolrooms too (maybe not so long though). I found him to be very entertaining. Maybe his best "hustle" was to go in a poolroom and tell everyone how great he was and that no one could beat him. After listening to him brag about himself, there would often be some local hustler who just had to try him out. Behind all that blather, Jimmy could really play! It took a stone cold champion to beat him and they might have trouble as well.

Last edited:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best answer on here! Someone just hustled/hacked some of the biggest Twitter accounts (Bill Gates, Elon Musk and others) and made a quick 100K+ score. No one knows how it happened and it took hours for Twitter to put a stop to it. That's what "hustling" looks like in 2020.

To answer the OP's original question about pool hustling. YES, it still exists! I've seen large five figure scores (and maybe a couple were six figures in total) made in the last few years by one player/team outsmarting another. Dippy Dave got taken off for a healthy six figures by two very high profile and well known player/gamblers. He's not the only one who's got his tit in the wringer either. I can think of a couple of others who have gone off for six figures whose names I won't mention on here. And look what happened to our man Barton when he got his nose open. I think he's still paying that one off.

As for me, I thought I was scam proof and I got taken for $600 in an online scam recently.

P.S. I did enjoy the video though. Jimmy always was a smooth talker. He would make speeches like that around the poolrooms too (maybe not so long though). I found him to be very entertaining. Maybe his best "hustle" was to go in a poolroom and tell everyone how great he was and that no one could beat him. After listening to him brag about himself, there would often be some local hustler who just had to try him out. Behind all that blather, Jimmy could really play! It took a stone cold champion to beat him and they might have trouble as well.

The issue is hustling refers to pool. What your talking about is a scam. They are similar but different things. Don't combine the two.

Please explain who dippy dave is? How big was this team? Where was this at? When did this happen? show me proof this actually happened.

Please explain how you got taken for 600 dollars?

Clearly you did not read my first post I did not ask if it still existed. Reread my first post.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue is hustling refers to pool. What your talking about is a scam. They are similar but different things. Don't combine the two.

Please explain who dippy dave is? How big was this team? Where was this at? When did this happen? show me proof this actually happened.
Search for dippy dave. Nobody is going to recall all the details for you.

Why is it that someone as new to the game and so unaware of its many faces and subtleties is telling people who have been inn the scene since before your parents were born how 'it is'?

Not only do you not know pool in your area, you haven't been around the pool world to see all the twists and hustles (all of which are cons) various areas have.

You are like a kindergartner telling us about college. You don't even know what you dont know.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search for dippy dave. Nobody is going to recall all the details for you.

Why is it that someone as new to the game and so unaware of its many faces and subtleties is telling people who have been inn the scene since before your parents were born how 'it is'?

Not only do you not know pool in your area, you haven't been around the pool world to see all the twists and hustles (all of which are cons) various areas have.

You are like a kindergartner telling us about college. You don't even know what you dont know.

Watch the video I linked of CJ Wiley telling you hustling is dead. Feel free to say that video is wrong.

PS my dad is 69 years old. I dont think allot of you guys were in the pool scene before my parents were born.

Who is dippy dave? I can't find him. Please tell me more.

How do you know I dont know pool in my area. I am wondering why you think that?

Last edited:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might want to get a chocolate flavored phone. Record the wrong person and you may end up eating your phone.

I have eaten a phone before. It took 3 weeks for it to pass. It was an Apple Iphone. How was I supposed to know that it would not taste like the fruit?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The secret to hustling.... Win the first set, let em raise the bet and get that money.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here is the video secrets of pool hustling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIJk7f85ly8

Is this how hustling really was back in the day? Also can you guys explain how his painting scam worked?

Thanks

It was exactly like this.
I remember when Floyd came to my town, he was a pretty good painter, not scared of heights , but he couldn't draw his rock . He finished painting the brothel and lost all his money to 2 finger Willie ,who used to be a tree man but had a horrific accident with a Dremel tool.
After that, when Fats said , my boy Floyd, he always added that he was adopted .

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was exactly like this.
I remember when Floyd came to my town, he was a pretty good painter, not scared of heights , but he couldn't draw his rock . He finished painting the brothel and lost all his money to 2 finger Willie ,who used to be a tree man but had a horrific accident with a Dremel tool.
After that, when Fats said , my boy Floyd, he always added that he was adopted .

Thats good. I am not scarred of height just of falling. But my buddy he had a paint business but he had to close. He had a habit of eating the paint brushes dipped in paint. He always said blue tastes best when mixed with a hint of green.

Yeah one day my buddy died. Not from eating paint but from a car accident. One day he ate 5 brushes and 2 cans of paint then he got trapped in a cars trunk and suffocated.. You know what they say live by the brush die by the brush.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Jaime is banned as of this morning too. We are not all the same, but there is only so far a great group like we have here on AZ can go.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
happened a few times ...

I was a bit of a sucker for a loud mouth. Usually not a problem but I had to have my best pair of tennis shoes on some nights! I played Johnny Archer because he was disturbing us at the drink beer and bullsh!t time of night.

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One version of th painter scam

OK, as much for any others who don't know it as for the OP who is getting a bit annoying, the painter scam, or one version of it.

For some reason painters wore white bib overalls to protect their cloths or just white bib overalls with a t-shirt, often a paper cap too. A guy comes in an action bar or pool hall wearing those well daubed with paint. Might have a few dabs here and there elsewhere and a little O'de Turpentine on. As he sits and drinks a beer or two he mentions where he is from and that he is in town contracted to do a project, naming a building or subdivision under construction. Over the next week or so he will be in most nights, winning and losing a little, learning the lay of the land and making acquaintances.

When he picks out his mark, often the owner, he will lose a little to him over the week or two. Then he will mention he is wrapping up the project and will be leaving town in a few days. His last night in town he shows up with a big wad of cash, supposedly pay for the project. He is feeling flush and wants to bet big. Somebody that has been winning sees a chance for a nice score, and the last chance to win anything from the painter.

He may still not play his best game but he has everyone's speed clocked to a gnat's ass by now and he surely isn't losing. As expected, he is gone the next day.

Was he really a painter or a pool hustler? Some are never quite sure! The very best hustlers leave people not sure if they have been hustled or just beaten. They don't jump several levels to win, just as much as they need to. Only an idiot rubs it in somebody's face that they have been hustled in real life.

Hu