Steven Hendry states the most consecutive balls he's run

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and the table, last page chapter 5

He is charm itself, because I’m not the enemy - yet. Eventually I will be the enemy and Alex will try to throw me off my game - unsuccessfully, as it turns out. But for now he is all sweetness and light, giving me useful tips alongside practice time, and gently mocking my cue, which isn’t what you’d describe as top-of-the-range.
‘That thing,’ he laughs, ‘is only good for holdin’ up fkcuin’ tomatoes!’

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hendry's prime cue is broken in flight
Seven-times World Champion's cue broken by baggage handlers
Clive Everton
Mon 1 Sep 2003 21.05 EDT

The cue with which Stephen Hendry won his seven world titles has been broken by airline baggage handlers. It gives Hendry a dilemma. Changing cues can be an ordeal for the top players because no two are the same. Players can only insure their cues for face value, which is usually no more than £40. Increased airline security since September 11 has stopped players taking their cue cases into aircraft cabins. Hendry, 34, discovered the breakage on his return to Heathrow from tournaments in Hong Kong and Bangkok and now hopes that his cue doctor, Lawrie Annandale, can repair the damage. The season's first world ranking tournament, the LG Cup, is only five weeks away.

"The bottom 15 inches is broken off but the shaft is still intact," said Annandale. "I'm going to fix another butt. Stephen seems calm, but is obviously very worried and only Stephen will know if the cue plays exactly the same."

Hendry had used the cue - a gift from his parents when he was a child - throughout his professional career. He nearly lost it in 1990 when it was stolen during the Rothmans Grand Prix. It was, however, returned when a reward of £10,000 was offered.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me that people have a hard time realizing and/or accepting how better the pros are then them.

Possibly, and your post made me think about it.

When I was 30 I won a NM state racquetball tournament.

I thought I was a pretty big fish,,, one day while attending a pro event (as a spectator) I had the opportunity to play (if you could call it "with" him) a few points with the #3 player in the world at the time. Turns out I wasn't a big fish,, I was plankton.

Honestly, it wasn't until that moment that I really KNEW how massive the gap was between world #3 and me. I knew this to be true intellectually, but not so firmly in my gut.

It still boggles my mind many, many years later.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possibly, and your post made me think about it.

When I was 30 I won a NM state racquetball tournament.

I thought I was a pretty big fish,,, one day while attending a pro event (as a spectator) I had the opportunity to play (if you could call it "with" him) a few points with the #3 player in the world at the time. Turns out I wasn't a big fish,, I was plankton.

Honestly, it wasn't until that moment that I really KNEW how massive the gap was between world #3 and me. I knew this to be true intellectually, but not so firmly in my gut.

It still boggles my mind many, many years later.

I started running cross country at age 15. By age 17 was The best runner in high school and came third in a district event in my state in Germany. By age 18 was the district champion. Returned to Canada to attend University. 10 km distance...I actually got lapped...so much for my ambition for glory. I still run and cycle decades later but that one moment in life was an eye opener.

Play for the moment and have fun.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played snooker for 51 years. I could do one run ‘maybe’ if I practiced it everyday for week.

However, I play to have fun and not really into drills. No expectation of winning this month’s world championship in Sheffield.

Just a note. These are 3.5 inch snooker shaped pockets. No wobbly rail shots will sink. The flipside is Using a snooker cue...more precision control of the cueball ( in the right hands).