Are diamonds on a pool table a bit of a crutch??

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Our community room is 1/2 Gold Crowns, 1/2 Diamonds. We were all Gold Crown, but some cry babies had to have Diamonds. @8 4.5 X 9.0's.

We got the Diamonds, sold off the Gold Crowns for $250.00/Table. STUPID. Blew a few bucks on the Diamonds.

I personally like the old tables better, there was nothing wrong with them. Too me personally a Diamond is all hype.

JMHO

That is short-sighted.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the yard markers on a football field crutches?

Hu

Is that really a valid analogy though, Hu? American football is measured in yards/inches/etc, so you NEED to have these hash marks for the basics of the game to really work.

All other billiard tables do not seem use diamonds as far as I can tell...so figured it was a valid question (as many play Snooker, Chinese 8ball, etc...so I wondered if you 'lose' anything when playing these other tables if used to American pool).

I was not arguing one way or another...so surprised to see anyone take any sort of offense.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I was not arguing one way or another...so surprised to see anyone take any sort of offense.

There you go, jumping right into it! You have to decide who's the commie here, damnmit. Why'd you have to open THAT box! Markers are for the lib sheeple cheaters, real pool players don't need no stinkin' diamonds. Cheaters, losers! Those diamonds are straight from China. It's a hoax brought on by the main stream media. Don't buy into it!

Just kidding LOL :smile: . It was an interesting topic. I've never noticed the absence of diamonds on snooker tables either.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How often do snooker players have to kick and bank balls??? Compared to pool its basically nil. I don't know why people keep trying to compare the two.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting question
I guess they would only be "a crutch" if a player used them to begin with
I would like to say I don't really use them
but I'm not sure I ever shot on a table without diamonds, so..
I'd like to see play without diamonds..see if there's much difference

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How often do snooker players have to kick and bank balls??? Compared to pool its basically nil. I don't know why people keep trying to compare the two.
Snooker players do often have to shoot kicks to play safe at very, very precise speeds and angles. Sometimes they go five rails with reverse on the last two and barely land on the ball they have to hit. Of course in snooker, they may get more than one chance at the shot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I was a reasonably good snooker player...when I took up 3-cushion, I became better at snooker.
It’s not just banks and kicks, safeties and position playing require knowledge of rails.

And we do have markers....six pockets, six spots, a D, and a balkline...we use them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... And we do have markers....six pockets, six spots, a D, and a balkline...we use them.
And if you play foul-and-a-miss, you can use the guy with the big nose against the wall as long as he doesn't move.;)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
no offense

Is that really a valid analogy though, Hu? American football is measured in yards/inches/etc, so you NEED to have these hash marks for the basics of the game to really work.

All other billiard tables do not seem use diamonds as far as I can tell...so figured it was a valid question (as many play Snooker, Chinese 8ball, etc...so I wondered if you 'lose' anything when playing these other tables if used to American pool).

No offense, however we use the markers on the field most downs. How many yards for a first? We know the receiver is going to be hit as soon as he catches a short pass so on third there is no reason to go out three yards when he needs five.

I think the analogy is very valid, I bank and kick by feel but it is often a little difficult to tell if I need to slightly undercut, overcut, or shoot a ball straight back. The diamonds give me this measurement. Sometimes I will use them to get a precise target but since speed generally affects these shots to a large degree they aren't precision targets, more to judge what I initially want to do. Two rail and more shots I rely heavily on diamonds. I used the stripes on the field in the same way. As a quarterback giving instruction, as a receiver running a route. If I say seven steps and turn, everyone's step is different. If I say seven yards and turn, we are all on the same page. Often the ball is in the air before the turn on some plays.

Again lack of tone in a post can be misleading, as I use the diamonds and the field markings I find the analogy near perfect. I spent a lot of time on a snooker table once so can work without diamonds but not using them when they are there would be not using a tool there in front of you. I use a leather tip and chalk too, nobody suggests they are crutches. Tools of the trade, as are diamonds. Use'm if you got'm!

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
wowser!

Here is how well some people kick when they don't have any diamonds to go by. (No rail after contact is required for a good hit in this game.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-YqVm8PC6k

Snooker players when they are on are amazing. To have both players playing their very best at the same time is rare. This was rare and amazing! Might have been a little lucky too but those are the kind of shots that you have to be very good to even get a chance to be lucky!

Hu

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't use the diamonds normally but maybe if they had a better scale marked out, I would. Never bought into that macho uber jock thing...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here is how well some people kick when they don't have any diamonds to go by. (No rail after contact is required for a good hit in this game.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-YqVm8PC6k
Wow.

Even more amazing to me than the aiming accuracy is the extreme speed accuracy over those huge distances after hitting 3-4 rails.

Did I say wow? Wow.

Thanks for the lesson in humility (inadequacy?).

pj
chgo

Last edited: