First cue-testing robot?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But this has been misleading for decades as well. This presumes we can magically double the velocity . In the pool stroke, we can’t. We’re limited with the how much energy the players can contribute to the whole model.

Velocity ends up being an output of the energy equation. Most people who stare at the kinetic energy equation treat velocity as an input that one can randomly increase. It isn’t and it can’t.

So the question is, How much faster can you stroke the cue ball with a 17oz cue vs a 21oz cue? Is there a test for that?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the question is, How much faster can you stroke the cue ball with a 17oz cue vs a 21oz cue? Is there a test for that?
You'd need some way to measure ball speed. I used to think heavy was better. I had a 21oz. breaker and then tried a friend's 18oz. Same tips. The difference was night-n-day in favor of the lighter cue. Not scientific i know but the results, to me anyway, spoke for themselves. My 18oz. $100 J&J j/b with a WD Ultra tip breaks as good as the hi-dollar models i've tried. Only cue that i thought was better was the carbon-fiber Cuetec and for $600bux it should have been.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

The ability for someone to stroke a lighter cue faster than a heavy one hopefully is universally accepted by all. How much faster has variables that are dynamically based on the individual doing the swinging. What I have noticed during my years of watching amateurs playing is that those with sloppy strokes tend to benefit from a heavier cue.

I think the bigger question is.... Assuming all other things being equal. What provides more benefit...? More mass or greater velocity..? Keep in mind, that in this "all other things being equal" scenario. As you add mass, you lose velocity.

Accelerating a heavier cue to the same max velocity of the lighter counterpart takes either more distance/time or more applied energy.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This presumes we can magically double the velocity.
It only says "double the velocity" to make an apples to apples comparison with "double the weight". Its point is that increasing velocity has a larger effect than increasing weight, not whether or not that's always possible.

pj
chgo

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i tried a cue with a 8 inch extension
it weighed 24 ounces

i increased my ability right away

whether it was length or weight i don't know all i know is i played better had more draw,more power and more acuracy

i beat everyone that had been giving me games

my opponents noticed the didfference

i had always haf trouble swinging faster,hitting harder

with the long cue i stroked the same but had more power

i was told the rules limit a person to a 25 ounce cue at the most

i don't know if that is true or why

if so there must be an advantage to playing heavy

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
As you add mass, you lose velocity.
But you get the same CB velocity with a somewhat slower stroke, and higher CB velocity with the same stroke speed, both of which can help with stroke accuracy.

Also...
1. If you can move a heavier stick as fast as you can move a lighter one, then a heavier cue can increase your CB's break speed.
2. More cue weight = more "ballast" resisting sideways cue movement (even more so if the weight is added with a butt extension).

pj
chgo

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just watching that golf robot makes me feel the right
tempo

look how slow it goes back,i just feel like i could catch on just from watching

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
just watching that golf robot makes me feel the right
tempo

look how slow it goes back,i just feel like i could catch on just from watching
I felt the same. Also how the club head's speed increases smoothly throughout the stroke and never gets extraordinarily fast - illustrating that hitting the ball accurately is more important than club speed.

pj
chgo

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Bob, Keith Paradise has an article in "Billiard Digest" titled 'Getting the Shaft". It mentions Titus inventing a robotic arm before he mentions Meucci's machine.

Doesn't surprise me at all. In 1995 I had the pleasure of going to Steve's place in Mich and was blown away at all the mechanical inventions that he had dreamed up and were sitting around at his place. I've often wondered what ever happened to him. Last I heard he got engaged and disappeared somewhere down in FL. The man's mind and thought process were amazing....to me atleast.

If anyone has any idea how to contact Steve Titus I would be very appreciative. I have some some of the original parts to his machine he built for the very first ever pie lam shafts that Clawson cues put out. Also have a few questions that I believe only he may know the answers to about some pie lam butt blanks that I have that were made by him.

Email me with any info please.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
have the pitching machine from baseball

challenge the pool bot modified for baseball

compete in a home run derby competition

a battle of scoring versus pitching

which machine is Supreme?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I recall someone saying that speed is how fast you hit the wall.....
...torque is how far you go through it.
I’m in foreign territory here....what do you guys think?
I'd agree with that if you substituted "momentum" for "torque".

pj
chgo

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It only says "double the velocity" to make an apples to apples comparison with "double the weight". Its point is that increasing velocity has a larger effect than increasing weight, not whether or not that's always possible.

pj
chgo

But that's why I'm saying it's been misleading. So many people believe that changing the velocity is more important than changing the weight. But that's not true in the pool stroke model. The energy that the player brings to the stroke is everything. That's the input. Velocity is the result.

The kinetic energy of the cue (ignoring losses so that we can understand the model) is a black box equivalent energy transfer mechanism. The velocity increase is based on the energy equation, so any given mass change will change the velocity according such that the energy is still the same. It's not true that changing the velocity leads to an exponential increase in energy. The energy in is going to be the energy out (in a perfect no-loss situation).

So how much more velocity can a lighter stick be swung? Only enough that the energy available can swing it based on the energy equation. It wouldn't be correct to increase the input energy just because you lightened the cue. A person only has so much energy to give. There's a max. So you back calculate the velocity based on the energy, not the other way around. Velocity is an output, not an input.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The science makes sense in this thread. The only obtuse thought I can add is that a wood joint can deliver the energy of a 58" wave and a steel joint might act like a node: doubling the frequency and halving the amplitude. lol...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

The cueball? Without losses, it should be the same (theoretically). The cue stick is a different question. The challenge is in the losses. If we put body types in the equation (which we must) and how people stroke (the break), it should be no surprise that we have a range of cue weights (12 - 27 oz for example) that people choose to get breaks in that 25+ mph range. Some people will do better with the heavier cue, and the "slower" cue stick speed.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The science makes sense in this thread. The only obtuse thought I can add is that a wood joint can deliver the energy of a 58" wave and a steel joint might act like a node: doubling the frequency and halving the amplitude. lol...

Could be. Or it could be that the traditional steel joint just isn't as an efficient mechanical link.

We should be able to see the node, but steel joint or not, I expect to see a node.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be. Or it could be that the traditional steel joint just isn't as an efficient mechanical link.

We should be able to see the node, but steel joint or not, I expect to see a node.

Then what about a one piece? Or are you saying any cue will deliver a 58" wave as well as all the harmonics?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know when The Myth Destroyer was introduced? (I may eventually find a Meucci ad that mentions it, but I haven't so far.)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know when The Myth Destroyer was introduced? (I may eventually find a Meucci ad that mentions it, but I haven't so far.)

This won't help, but I didn't hear of the Myth Destroyer until after Iron Willie. Prior to the Myth Destroyer, Meucci was actually measuring beam deflection and its radial consistency in cantilever. I believe he built the Myth Destroyer in direct response to Iron Willie.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Then what about a one piece? Or are you saying any cue will deliver a 58" wave as well as all the harmonics?

At the risk of answering a question that I might not understand what you're asking, there is a compression wave (due to the axial force) and a transverse wave (if it has a lateral force, of course). The transverse wave is used (can be used) to model the squirt characteristics.

Freddie <~~~ acoustically speaking