Pro cons list

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I made a pro and con list about pool and some other stuff and I want to show you guys so you can compare them. Maybe you can tell me that pool really is not for me.

Martial arts
Pro
Fun
Something to do

Con
Nothing

Axe throwing
Pro
Fun
Something to do
Meet new people
Throw sharp object that can chop down a tree

Con
Expensive

POOL
Pro
Fun
Something to do to keep from being bored
Meet new people/ make friends

Con
Pool tables are cash only, some places only take quarters
Leagues are cash only
If not at pool hall the tables are bad, chipped balls, dead rails, uneven table, mismatched balls
Pool hall closed 1 or 2 days a week and closes early if not busy
League members are old not many young people
APA pay twice if play twice
Declining in popularity
Some places have loud music “might play there”
I was told VNEA is serious and not a just for fun league

Thoughts.?
Thankks

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s pretty clear you’ve already made up your mind on this one. If the best you can come up with for the positive arguments for taking up pool is to keep from being bored and doing it for the social aspect, then pool is obviously not for you.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I made a pro and con list about pool and some other stuff and I want to show you guys so you can compare them. Maybe you can tell me that pool really is not for me.

Martial arts
Pro
Fun
Something to do

Con
Nothing

Axe throwing
Pro
Fun
Something to do
Meet new people

Con
Expensive

POOL
Pro
Fun

Con
Leagues are cash only
If not at pool hall the tables are bad, chipped balls, dead rails, uneven table, mismatched balls
Declining in popularity

Thoughts.?
Thankks
Pro- you leaving AZ. Con-NOTHING

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
come on admins we need a permaban already

giphy.gif

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Jaime, how about one new thread a week? You're spamming the boards.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not much in this world that doesn't cost to have fun:groucho: The thing about pool is you can have fun and hardly pay anything if you are a decent enough player. I make enough playing in leagues that my expenditures are minimal. Of course, that's because I've put in my time(thousands of hours) to play at a level that will allow this. It's up to you if you want to be a banger and play to just take up time and have some fun; or be a player that is acknowledged as such and still have fun, at least most of the time:groucho: That goes for any of the activities listed.
As far as conditions, most bars are passable, some suck; that's barroom pool, everybody plays under the same conditions. I've never heard anybody complain about the need to carry cash, that must be a generational thing. Any bar I play in has a supply of quarters or a change machine; only one bar has tables that will take bills. Never seen a table that will take a card. Actually, on league nights the bars in my area pay the table time; for many years, we even got fed:wink:
Most of the leagues I play in are very competitive with strong players. APA in my area goes from rank amateurs who are there to just have some fun, to very strong players who are there to win. I play in that league because I'm friends with the captain and a couple of people on the team. One thing to remember about league play; there can be a monetary reward at the end of session/season, in most cases. Three out of the four leagues I played in, I've made enough to cover my expenses. I haven't played since late February and probably won't till some time after the New Year due to covid. Pool ain't fun if you're going to worry about getting sick because of it:groucho:
Seems you're disappointed in pool scene in your area; might be time to put it aside for a while to see if you miss it. I stopped playing for quite a few years due to losing the desire to play; I felt my time was better spent ensuring my family commitments were at the forefront.

Martial arts
Pro
Fun
Something to do

Con
Nothing

Axe throwing
Pro
Fun
Something to do
Meet new people

Con
Expensive

POOL
Pro
Fun

Con
Leagues are cash only
Declining in popularity

Thoughts.?
Thankks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Con
This is not really and issue at all
Leagues are cash only

This depends on what rooms you go to

Again not really an issue and I know plenty of people under 50 that play league

This is true of all leagues, you pay per match

Declining in popularity

By this maybe you mean that good players play in this league? Probably true compared to the APA. A pro said in commentary recently that leagues make learning to play harder because they try to teach you to win before teaching you how to play

Thoughts.?
Thankks

Thoughts, what you want to do is up to you, why do you want other people to tell you what to do? Most people over about 12 are OK with deciding things on their own, if you have an issue with deciding things without going through a 4 week process with committees there are groups/conferences you can join and books to help with confidence and how to make decisions.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Pro- you leaving AZ. Con-NOTHING

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

This whole cash thing absolutely mystifies me. I have never decided not to partake in an activity because I could not use a credit card and it required (very minimal) cash.

One would think that injury would be a con in martial arts. I would also think that ax throwing would not be very expensive.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

This whole cash thing absolutely mystifies me. I have never decided not to partake in an activity because I could not use a credit card and it required (very minimal) cash.

One would think that injury would be a con in martial arts. I would also think that ax throwing would not be very expensive.

Axe throwing costs 30 dollars per person per hour. For an 8 week league you pay a one time fee of 150 dollars and then 10 dollars every time you go to leagues.

As far as injury I would say it is more of an honor thing that a negative. I punch trees and do other conditioning things.

So here is an experiment. Take your keys and your wallet and anything else you carry out of your pants and just put your phone in your pants pocket. Walk around your house for a few hours and feel the difference.

In my opinion it just makes life easier. No more needing exact change. If all I have is 30 dollars in cash I have to add how much a bill will be in my head like when I go to restaurant. With a card I don't have to. If my bill comes to 31 dollars I can just pay with a card.

No more carrying around things I very rarely need. If I get asked for spare change from a homeless person I can tell them the truth and say I don't have any. If I get mugged I can turn off my phone from a computer or another phone. No lost money. No lost data or anything. My phone will be a paper weight.

Just some of the reasons Why I like cards and such.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Honestly, no one cares. Why would you feel the need to make an introspection public?
Oh, right. You're also an attention whore.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Axe throwing costs 30 dollars per person per hour. For an 8 week league you pay a one time fee of 150 dollars and then 10 dollars every time you go to leagues.

As far as injury I would say it is more of an honor thing that a negative. I punch trees and do other conditioning things.

So here is an experiment. Take your keys and your wallet and anything else you carry out of your pants and just put your phone in your pants pocket. Walk around your house for a few hours and feel the difference.

In my opinion it just makes life easier. No more needing exact change. If all I have is 30 dollars in cash I have to add how much a bill will be in my head like when I go to restaurant. With a card I don't have to. If my bill comes to 31 dollars I can just pay with a card.

No more carrying around things I very rarely need. If I get asked for spare change from a homeless person I can tell them the truth and say I don't have any. If I get mugged I can turn off my phone from a computer or another phone. No lost money. No lost data or anything. My phone will be a paper weight.

Just some of the reasons Why I like cards and such.

uuhhmmmm...Karate chop!?